Thursday, April 1, 2021

Graeme's Formidable Fimir - March's Rank and File #2 (202 points)

Rank and File #2 (...or A Load of Four-legged Friends) 


I took my wildcard in February with the intention of catching up on a load of prep work and submitting a load of stuff in March. The plan went well at first, and I did get a lot of prep done and made great progress with my Chaos Hounds. I bought a new wet pallet, which is a big improvement over my home-made version. I experimented with quite a lot of thinner coats and washes, which I think delivered some decent results.

Life got in the way after that though, so in the end, I only managed to finish off the remaining boars left over from January.

Anyway, I’m glad I’ve got something to submit, and am pretty happy with how the hounds turned out. I tried to emphasize the contrast, to give the impression of them being almost skeletal. See what you think.


8 Chaos Hounds : 184 pts


The Chaos Hound unit in its full glory:



And some smaller group shots...





3 Boars : 18 pts




So that makes a total of 202 points for March, and a grand total of 396.5 points so far.


All-in-all, steady progress. Much less impressive than I was hoping for, but I'm aiming bigger from now on... Next month I’ll be adding to the Fimir rank-and-file, with some Orc support, I suspect.


I’m aiming for the command group in May.


I’ve been seriously impressed by the other challenger’s contributions over the last couple of months - quality AND quantity! Great stuff! Hope everyone keeps it up.


See you in about a month…

21 comments:

  1. Great to see those dogs painted, I have had a unit of them on my list to paint for years, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they are great models, with loads of character.

      Delete
  2. They really do look gaunt and hungry... I'm quite worried for those boars... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect the boars are not going to last long... ;-)

      Delete
  3. Excellent colours on those hounds! It's an interesting and unique force you're gathering there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, just want to build up the number of Fimir now.

      Delete
  4. Those dogs are great - really rad colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was tempted to go for more chaotic colours, but I didn't think exotic colours would fit the rest of the army's colour scheme.

      Delete
  5. Cool looking animals, the dog host is superb with the variation of sculpts and skin colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm lucky to have a good selection of them. The variations make them really interesting and fun to paint.

      Delete
  6. You've made a good job of these. I'm trying to learn how to use a wet pallete with my Wood Elves, but considered it too difficult whilst taking part in this challenage - hence, why I'm painting my Amazons. Really impressed by your results, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers!
      It's definitely worth experimenting with, especially for models with areas of bare skin. Some palettes seem to be better than others. I noticed a big improvement when I moved to the one from Green Stuff World - it was much easier to control the thickness of the paint, compared to my home-made one with baking paper and kitchen towels.

      Delete
  7. These are lovely - I've some hounds to paint this month so I'll be checking back in for some inspiration! Very naturalistic which works well with the unnatural nature of the minis! I particularly like the blue grey you've used.

    I've found using a wet palette has really sped up my painting once I got the hang of diluting the paint right - I now swear by glaze medium! It's also so great to be able to just open it up and get painting straight away without the usual obstacles than can often get in the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm trying to stick with natural colours and tones, to keep a consistent look to the army. It did seem to work pretty well with these.
      Looking forward to seeing your results at the end of the month!

      Delete
  8. Hungry looking slavering beasts! they lo0k great - exactly as nature intended!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done on those chaos hounds!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog