Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Graeme's Formidable Fimir - April's Rank and File #3 (150 points)

Graeme's Formidable Fimir - April's Rank and File #3 (150 points)



April's bunch of misfits

When I was figuring out which army to do for OWAC4, it was White Dwarf 102 that swung the decision to Fimir.


The illustrations from Paul Bonner are so atmospheric and paint a whole story with just a few images. This illustration of the Fimir and Orcs teaming up and plotting their next attack persuaded me to include a small force of Orcs in the army.




These are the first Orcs I’ve ever managed to finish painting, in all the time I’ve been playing and collecting! They're a mix from the Citadel C15 range and a few 'Polearms' Orcs from the '88 catalogue. They ooze character and are fun to paint, but tend to soak up time, because of all the details. They reminded me a bit of the Jes Goodwin Skaven I painted last year in that way. I tried a couple of different skin tones - I'm not sure if I've got it just right yet, but I’m pretty happy with how they turned out. I hope I can paint up some more before the end of the challenge to beef up the army a little.







6 Orcs : 54 pts

Hand weapon, spear, light armour



The Fimm will make up the rest of the main warrior unit. I tried slight variations on colours on these, compared to the last ones. I think the skin colours and and mottling worked out a bit better this time. Two of these are Dirach models, where I've just selected regular Fimir hears and warrior tails. The positioning of the heads was a bit fiddly, but I extended their necks a little with greenstuff and I'm quite happy at the poses that I set them in.










3 Fimir Fimm Warriors : 96 pts

Hand weapon



Yeah, it's only nine figures. With the 40mm base rule this year, the Fimir count as two troops each, so I've officially made the minimum for the month. However, it’s nowhere near as impressive a contribution as I was hoping for. I'm disappointed I couldn't do more, but it’s another step forward. It does mean my total points for the army so far are less than impressive (especially comparing to other extremely productive challengers, who shall remain nameless... ;-) ). 


Army total so far:    542 pts


April:            150 pts
March:          202 pts

January:       190 pts


It looks like I’ll be doing the command group in May. This should give my points a very healthy boost, and hopefully give me a bit of breathing space to prep more models and get a head start on June… I'm working on the General now, just trying to figure out how to get a nice patina on all this armour he's wearing...


Hope you like them.

14 comments:

  1. I love the Paul Bonner images, one day I will have a crack at a proper tribute to them. Seeing fimir as the brainy leaders of an allied mass orc rabble is just the way I imagine them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm looking forward to building out this army after the challenge as my tribute

      Delete
  2. I'll second Geoff's admiration of Paul Bonner's illustrations and it's great to see them in the flesh with your miniatures! The skin tone on the Orcs looks great and different enough to the Fimir to stand out. Love the pinkish tinge to the Fimirs' snouts too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm happier with the second batch of Fimir. I suspect I'll go back and touch up some of the first batch, to make them a bit more consistent. The Orcs and Fimir do seem to fit well together.

      Delete
  3. Cool that you are using my fav GW artist for inspiration for this army. I hadn't ever considered this alliance of Fimir and Orcs before, It's nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, lovely work on the skin tones, both the orcs and the Fimirs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An inspired idea and a great selection of classic figures. Love the skin tones too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're great figures - sometimes a challenge to paint, but I'm happy with the results

      Delete
  6. Perfect combo. Those orcs are perfect allies for the Fimir. I love the old sculpts, and as already mentioned by others the skin tones on both orcs and Fimir are great. Variety, but also the tone really ties them all together. Continuing to enjoy your entries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks! Good to hear other people are enjoying my efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's some lovely skin variations on the Fimir! awesome job.
    My favourite orc there though is the guy on the far right with the open mouth - what a great head! Good luck with the leader month, I'm looking forward to seeing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So good. The coloring on the skin is really impressive.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog