Thursday, June 3, 2021

Nathan’s mixed ogre bunch (190 points)

Rank & file #4

Another last minute post from me after I just managed to finish the required bunch of figures for the month. Again. I reckon I’ve figured out why that is the case. After I finish the required figures each month it takes me a got d couple of weeks to get interested in painting the next line lot of figures. By the time that happens I’m playing catch up. And just managing to meet the required deadline. 

This month I painted a varied bunch of ogres - 3 are Jes Goodwin figures from 1985 whilst the other two are a marauder figure circa 1990 and a later middlehammer era figure. Interesting to see how the quality and style of the sculpts changed over the years. The style of the early figures is much more to my liking; the quality of casting however isn’t. So much so that I had real trouble painting them due to the amount of undefined areas on them. The later two figures are the opposite; the style isn’t really to my liking (bit too cartoony, especially the marauder figure who looks more suited to lifting well fits down at Venice beach) but the quality of the casting far surpasses the earlier figures. Points wise they come to 190 points without taking armour, weapons or the standard into account. Speaking of the standard I will add a nice paper standard to that figure before the challenge is over. Anyway here they are:



7 comments:

  1. Some of your best painting mate! I really like your work on the faces

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fellow with a hat and standard bearer are a hoot! Good job on some cool ogre figs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some classic ogres there! I’m definitely fond of the earlier sculpts myself, though I’ve got that same one that belongs on Venice Beach kicking around in the bitz box waiting to join a squad of Ogryns in Catachan. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean give the new boys a chance - they're going up against miniatures sculpted by the mighty Jes Goodwin! Lovely work and I'm very jealous of your Bounty Hunter (chap with the big sword and a hood) - one of my favourite Ogre miniatures I don't yet own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the old Jes Goodwin ogres and you've done a great job on the whole lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice ogre banner bearer - the eye looks great! I agree with pretty much everyone in that I like the older sculpts too, but the banner bearer style ogre are what I spent the majority of my time coveting as a kid :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog