Tuesday, July 20, 2021

ZeroTwentythree's Post-OWAC4 Eldar Pirate Wrap-Up Post (2013.5 pts.)

I survived OWAC IV. That's about most succinct statement I can make to summarize how this OWAC went for me. 2021 was a struggle for me compared to past years.

However, standing at the finish line and looking back at what I did.... I like what I see. I was aiming for a very stylized early Rogue Trader era Eldar force, I got that: the pirate crew of the Cold September. I mentioned in my intro post, this was a big nostalgia trip for me.


I do wish I could get a better photo to share, though. All those bright colors on a black background really mess with my phone's camera. Also, I couldn't manage a live pic with the army, so ended up having to Phn0otoshop myself into the background... and, hell, if I'm doing that I may as well add a suitably Oldhammer mullet.
 
...
 
Had to take three separate pics just to get more of the final army in focus somewhere. Click to enlarge at your own optical risk.



 
I strayed a bit from the initial plan, but not far. I was missing an entire month of troops, but made up for that with a couple of custom squads. I swapped out one of the D-Cannons for a scatter laser for variety. Two champions were swapped out for alternate figures. And the highlight of the OWAC (for me) was switching out the war-walker for GOTHMOWER. Best decision I could have made!

So there were a few Left Behind. Like I said, two champion level characters (Probati) were swapped out for Nik (GOTHMOWER pilot) and the musician in my Leader month. I'd still like to paint the original figures. Same goes for the second D-cannon that was replaced with a scatter laser. The one figure that dropped out entirely was a psychic lieutenant. Maybe he's like the Bad Lieutenant, but Psychic? Not sure. But my plan was to convert him as a tribute to the Eldar drop troops with insect like wings in the RT rulebook. I never had the time to work out the details. In the big picture, these swaps/omissions didn't impact the completeness of the project, but I still plan on finishing all of these figures and more. Like the not-pictured war-walker and far too many dreadnoughts/spirit warriors.

 
Midway through the 2021 OWAC, an additional inspiration hit that falls outside the pirate crew of the Cold September. I had somehow (i.e. drunkenly) ended up with a bunch of Eldar scouts, mostly off eBay, that don't really fit within my vision of the pirate crew. I also picked up the original Farseer model in a fit of extreme nostalgia. By far he/she is my favorite figure from the 1.5 ed./Craftworld 40k Eldar.
 
I came up with an idea for a Farseer who seeks to bring stray Eldar back into the Craftworld fold, but uses other Outsiders (scouts) to accomplish this. Sort of a "walk the line" character taking risks for greater gains. I like the idea of them as tag-alongs with/on the Cold September. But they are within the family of the crew -- only tolerated as useful, if somewhat annoying at times. Like missionaries. I'm looking forward to painting them up as a post-script to the OWAC.


Looking beyond the post-OWAC 2021, I've got a couple of ideas for a possible OWAC 2022 project, though I've got to admit I'm running out of legitimate OLD "oldhammer" figures. Plus most of the projects I've wanted to do have already been started, making it hard to come up with a new, complete and neatly packaged OWAC project like the last three have been. We'll see -- hopefully I turn something into an entry for OWACV....

28 comments:

  1. I love the pirates! Go Team Eldar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Great year to be an Eldar OWAC-er. :D

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great force. I love the colours, it all works together and ties it all nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! BIG COLOR was definitely what I was going for. :D

      Delete
  4. Great stuff right here!! Love the RT vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's probably my favorite part. I started collecting bits for the typical deodorant stick grav-attack for some (non-OWAC) human mercs, but when the remote control casing arrived from Shadespyre I had immediately dropped the war walker as too passé & shifted gears to do a new take on the grav-attack based on the Chapter Approved list!

      Delete
  5. Very Nice! Glad you got past your obstacles to OWAC completion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Rough year, but already looking forward to the next one!

      Delete
  6. 😎
    That is a sunglasses worthy moment. Good grief, the brightness! Such colour, much wow, so amaze !
    I love those old seers. The best sculpts for the elder imo. I may try to join you in a brief paint-these-odd-models-before-burnout moment!

    Great job - the army looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I agree, my favorite Eldar sculpts & good luck with painting the odd-models!

      Delete
  7. Honestly. these are worth all the trials and tribulations. The bright colours, the contrast with the bases, the alien scenery, plus the almighty GOTHMOWER... brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have you to thank for the GOTHMOWER inspiration/motivation/raw-materials. As soon as I opened the box you sent and saw that remote casing, I started working on putting something together. I owe you a (half-finished) email about the process. I've got some WIP pics too.

      Delete
    2. Also, I said it in the OP, but GOTHMOWER (and the crew) was my favorite part of this year's challenge.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on making it to the finish line with these lovely space pirates, so much great stuff, and the even more fabulous tank, Gothmower.. Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Looking forward to raiding the galaxy. Now to assemble & paint the defenders....

      Delete
  9. ahah excellent !! Damn a real eldar was painting it !! give me your soulstone !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! NO. I need them to fuel my next few walkers... :D

      Delete
  10. Well done. I love the idea of the Eldar as pirates, instead of as insufferable space liberals. Great stuff, and congratulations on the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really liked the idea of them as an ancient, decadent, self-centered bunch. Sort of like space-Melniboneans. (Is that what the later Dark Eldar became...?)

      Delete
  11. Amazing force you've pulled off 023!! lovely work as always,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on completing the challenge. Looking great, specially the GOTHMOWER, that was simply awesome. Looking forward to see you insectoid drop troops conversions. Your army made me want to expand my unit to a small corsair army and I think I will go to the conversion route too instead of the FW (now gone) corsair jet packs.

    A final #GoTeamEldar for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful RT vibes from your band of Space Raiders and what colours! Can't wait to see the drop troop conversion - always loved that illustration.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The vehicle is a super adition to a beautiful eldar force...

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such an awesome Eldar force! The colours are perfect at bringing out that alien character.
    Love the grav-tank too! The RT nostalgia vibes are strong!
    I love these 1st edition Eldar sculpts and you've really done an amazing job on them. I hope you share some updates on the Dreadnoughts, Walkers and Scouts.
    Congrats on a fantastic OWAC and can't wait to see what you bring to the table next year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool Eldar force, classic models and beautifully painted. The striking colours and clean painting really makes them pop. Fantastic vehicle! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic to see so many of my favourite range of Eldar wpainted so well. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog