Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Byron's Introduction Post


I'm Back for my 2nd round of OWAC!

Like the first round I've sculpted some minis to paint, but unlike last time I have a handful already in my possession to start the challenge. 🤞Fingers crossed🤞 that the rest arrive in a timely fashion or I am SOL. 

Lately, I have put my gnome sculpting aside and aimed my Sauron-like eye at sculpting fairytale Germans. The range will include many staples of traditional fairytales as well as conventional troop types for wargaming. For this OWAC I plan to use them as proxies for a 4th ed Empire army.  I sculpted various standard tops so others can choose ones that are more thematic to their force. For my army though, I think I am going with a goose theme. All the banners will have gooses on top. 

My tentative armylist:

Characters
General with Light Armor, Lance, and Shield mounted on a Griffon                    225 pts
Hero                                                                                                                     65 pts
(maybe a few other characters for good measure)

Troops
Handgunners x12 w/ command                                                                           116 pts
Archers x 12                                                                                                         96 pts 
Spearmen w/ shield x 20 w/ command                                                                154 pts
Halberdiers w/ light armor x 20 w/ command                                                       198 pts
Greatswords w/ light armor x 16 w/ command                                                     162 pts

War Machines
Cannon                                                                                                                 100 pts

Total                                                                                                                      1142 pts

That's 87 models! That's going to be tough. It's doable but it will mean a constant output of minis. No chances for breaks. Starting to miss my slightly expensive dark elves already.
       

So! Now the models I have on hand.

At the top of the order I have some characters. These should fill my hero and spell caster roles.

Left to right: witch, wizard, prince and princess

Next, I have some archers. I have at least ten with a handful of extras. 


After them, I have halberdiers.


this pic shows their poses better.

Armed Women. Their role is a bit ambiguous at the moment - maybe flagellants? rank fillers in other regiments? baggage train attendants? armed citizens in scenarios? We'll see. 


 

Finally, I thought that I would share a bunch of pics of greens to tease what will hopefully be coming later. Many of these are WiP pics I took, so they don't represent how the minis looked when I crammed them in the mail last Wednesday.
A few handgunners and spearmen

Cannon crew

Huntsman

musician for handgunners

cannon crew

cannon crew

cannon

dog handler

Opinicus (Off-brand griffon)

zwiehanders

another dog handler

assassin

1 of 3 dog poses

Horses (still working on these, maybe they'll get knights or wagons)

13 comments:

  1. These are wonderful, Byron! I would use the women as rank and files in other units. Why segregate? Good luck and looking forward to seeing them painted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - there's dedication for you! Great job and really look forward to seeing them painted. Looks like we're comrades this year being fellow Empire painters - For the Emperor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! hope to see all those scultps also finished and added to the bunch at the end of the OWAC.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, just painting the army isn't enough work for you so you decide to sculpt it too! Wow. Looking forward to seeing this truly unique army take shape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is going to be difficult for the rest of us (who didn't sculpt our own figures) to keep up with! Looking forward to seeing them as they get painted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woah, I can't imagine what it must feel like to have an army that you've literally created from scratch - amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder work! Lovely sculpts. I am really looking forward to seeing this project developing…

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well that's all kinds of awesome!! Love the animations of the sculpts

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing project! This is going to be great to see painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing work as always, I’m looking forward to seeing them painted!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well that certainly sets the bar for OWAC V! Kudos to you sir, lovely work already. Looking forward to seeing them painted up :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Most impressive, you are actually sculpting your whole army. Very cool animated models, looking forward to seeing them painted.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog