Monday, December 13, 2021

Copper Oracle | 1. Introductory Post

"Burn them all; the God-Emperor will know His own."

— Stibor Lazaerek, grand master of the Fire Hawks during the firebombing of Sacristan

 My name is Benamon aka CopperOracle and this will be my first year with the OWAC. 

I have been wargaming since the early eighties but took a break in nineties while I was at university and still very grateful I just stored all my old miniatures rather than dumping them!

I now post on my own blog and other social media with my painting, conversions and exploration into the hobby as well as gaming at my local club in Cornwall and plotting a return to Bring Out your Lead at some point in the future!

Mulling through several options for my Army (Slann, Imperial Guard...) I settled on classic Rogue Trader Space Marines. I had been adding to a project pile of these for several years and my last attempt at painting them lost steam so the challenge will hopefully help keep me going!

Lead and plastic pile 

For my all important Overlord Offering I have provided a classic Chaos Beastman, with some nice pink gloves


For all the important Chapter choice I settled on the Fire Hawks. The 21st Founding and the Badab War has always been a favourite along with character and lore of the pre LoD Fire Hawks Chapter



With Forgeworlds reboot/detailing of the Badab War the Fire Hawks were given a new livery but I decided to keep to their original yellow and flame pattern. This is very much out of my comfort zone, both for the yellow and also the flame patterns but I thought if i was doing a challenge, make it a challenge!!





To stave off the voices in my head pointing out the imminent failure and shameful need to change Chapter, I painted up a test model and was happy to accept my fate!

Planned Army List

(Rogue Trader Compendium)



1. Lieutenant Commander

Minor Hero, Boltgun, Bionic leg = 87

(Standard Bearer behind him)

2. Medic

Field Medic, Bolt gun, Chainsword = 34

3. Chaplain

Champion, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword = 21

4. Chaplain

Champion, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword. Jump Pack = 23

5. Librarian

Lexicanum = 18

(Still to aquire)

 


6. Techmarine x 4

Bolt Pistol = 51

7.Bombots 

x5 = 25

8. Terminator Squad (5)

Storm Bolters, Power Fist, Power Sword, Heavy Flamer = 450


9. Tactical Squad (Veteran) (10)

Multimelta, Heavy Plasma Gun, Sergeant with Power Axe = 306

9. Tactical Squad (10)

Missile Launcher, Multimelta, Sergeant with Power Axe = 276


10. Assault Squad (10)

Flamer, Plasma pistol, Sergeant with Power sword and Bionic Leg, All with chainswords,  All with Jump packs = 282

Total  = 1.573

I have also prepped some additional units to act as stretch goals if the month is going well and my 'Wild Card' month

Stretch Goals


One in 'Ebay purchased Green' and the other in 'Was going to build a Dusk Raider Army' White

11. Rhino transport for the Veteran Squad = 370

12. Rhino transport for Tactical Squad = 370


Three heavies with a dead marine underfoot, possibly Tiger Claw or Mantis Warrior
13. Contemptor Dreadnought = 200

14. Contemptor Dreadnought  = 200

15, Deredeo Dreadnought = 220

Giving a Grand total of = 2,933 points!

With the Librarian to purchase and the rest of the army all assembled and undercoated, all that is left is for me to wait for the new year...and maybe reset my painting table so I don't just have the front 2 inches to paint on!

...and maybe put together a gizmo thing to represent a teleporter for my Terminators


Obligatory big before shot

26 comments:

  1. Lovely army! I loved the test model- this will look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think more yellow than I have ever painted before but will certainly be striking if I manage it!

      Delete
  2. This just screams Rogue Trader! As I mentioned on fb my own chapter is the Fire Angels from the same Badab War campaign article in the Compendium so this really speaks to my hobby roots. Love the idea of a Tiger Claw or Mantis Warrior getting stomped to really locate the army in that campaign. Top stuff :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Fire Angels are a great choice as well. I will be adding some Badab details like dead marines and some burnt Astral Claw posters to place them mid campaign era

      Delete
  3. Outstanding test model and offering. I'm so excited to see your force grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Always wanted a Space marine army but could never settle on a chapter or get enough done so looking forward to this time being different

      Delete
  4. Having painted a fair few RT Marines myself, I'm really looking forward to seeing these in your chosen old school colours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the Forge world Fire Hawks livery is nice but i wanted a full Old School look for these

      Delete
  5. Hey! No dead Mantis Warriors! Outrageous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flipping ace. That sergeant with power axe is my favourite sculpt here :). Also, I'm really looking forward to those terminators! Good luck sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, as I had both power axes i thought they would make great unit sergeants and the Terminators are amongst my favourites so really looking forward to getting them all done!

      Delete
  7. Super job on the test subject and I can't wait to see some paint on that Grav Tank! Love the whole Badab War setting so I'm very excited to see how this one pans out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am in two minds on the Grav tank, whether I should try and get a better matching stick or be happy with what i've got!

      Delete
  8. Very cool army and I love the painting test model. Good sign of things to come. Your Overlord Offering is also wonderful.

    I'm also partial to that Badab War WD article too -- it inspired me to repaint my marines as Mantis Warriors, including a squad with the cammo colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, enjoyed the Overlord offering experience, matching the colours with my own style. Big Fan of the Badab War and would love to see it get (abet smaller) Horus Heresy style Novel series and miniature focus. Mantis Warriors were in the running for which
      chapter I went for

      Delete
  9. Awesome collection of Rogue Trader goodness! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I just need to stay focused and not too distracted by my endless other projects!

      Delete
  10. Watching this eagerly. Some great old sculpts and a lovely colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the RT marines have so much character, I want to make sure I do them justice

      Delete
  11. I envy your collection, and based on the wonderful offering, I'll envy it even more when the challenge is finished

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, If it all comes off as planned I will be more than happy!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks, I have been slowly adding to it for years and finally reached critical mass I could do something with!

      Delete
  13. Cool force, very old school! Looking forward to see all these yellow marines and assorted machinery. Very atmospheric offering

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I usually build with lore and rule of Cool far more than for competition

      Delete

Search This Blog