Monday, January 24, 2022

ZeroTwentythree's January Undead (182 pts)

First month of OWAC5 went pretty well! I hit my goal half way through the month, painted some extras, and prepped figures for some of the later month's entries.


January was a rank & file month. Maybe it's my architectural training, but I like to start every project with a good foundation. In this case, I've got a regiment of 25 armored skeletons planned. So here's the first 13. These are all Harlequin figures, still available through Black Tree. They're a pretty close match for the Citadel "armoured skeletons" range, which I mix them with (some of those coming up next month.)

I debated whether to stick with the plain black shields of the rest of my skeletons, and ended up doing so. Instead I added some color by doing more with the bases than I usually do.
 
I painted a few extras this month. I got the skull from a Halloween decoration. The mystery wraith/spectre and converted Nightmare Legion were figures that arrived as a Christmas surprise from a fellow OWAC participant (Richard/Shadespyre). The ghost of Christmas past was a fun experiment. I painted it my black, but then used  Citadel washes and contrast paints to give it some gradient color.


 
Speaking of Christmas, even our household holiday decorations this year picked up a bit of the flavor of my OWAC5 project...



Rank & File Month

13 Skeletons with light armour, shield, spear....... 182 pts

Total: 182 pts

12 comments:

  1. Amazing stuff here! The wonderfully colorful bases give life to these dead fellows, and the rust on their equipment is excellent 👌

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love skellies (did so many with my undead OWAC army too!) And love the porch skelly! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good bones to build the rest of the project upon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always love your Undead (and Undeadish) palette.

    Honestly, it wasn't me who cut the head off the Nightmare Legionary, it was like that when I got him. Same with the wraith who I think is a modified / damaged LOTR mini. I really like what you've done with his robes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks the mushrooms for adding some colours here :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Particularly like the fade on the shields.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work, I love the bone tone you've gone with and those bases are stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely stuff. Your clever work with the basing combined with the rich bone colours are giving a lovely old school fantasy feeling :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love a bit of rust - nicely done! Lets hope the Ghost of Christmas Future doesn't lead you to the Field of Bones - at least not the one you don't want to end up in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good stuff - I think my favorite part is the gradient you achieved on the shields (this is something I usually struggle with), very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely painting. The BTD figures match perfectly style wise. Lovely to see all the non citadel minis in this year's OWAC.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog