Monday, February 28, 2022

Stephen's Songs of the Damned - Wild Card (85 points) - "Snake Dance"

Take my hand said Cleopatra
Take me to the fires to burn
Save your passion and your kinship
Take me to the flames the flames
The flames the flames

The March Violets
"Snake Dance"
Natural History
Rebirth
1984

Back again, in this short month of February, with a project I felt I could accomplish given an insane workload and, well, you know...:: gestures around wildly ::

The Vyper holds a special place in my heart, as it is the first plastic kit that I purchased from the Citadel range, right when it came out - until that point the unit was only something I would see as  conversions of metal or plastic Eldar Jetbikes chopped up and fused together with epoxy and good wishes, to mixed results.  

I think "mixed results" is also a good description of the unit's tabletop performance over its checkered history - in 3rd Edition, when the mission was to get as many starcannons on the board as you could, they were everywhere, slagging power armor with ease and panache.  

They kind of languished after that, having a minor resurgence for me in 5th when the lethality of the game meant it didn't matter what I fielded, so I found some success in using them at extreme range to harass my opponents with missiles and give them slightly less good choices in what to kill that turn.  

Since then, their fragility has meant they've only shown up in my themed lists, and rarely even then.  The imminent Codex:  Aeldari (😏) has me looking at them again, as they may be more fun to use than in recent years - not having the option for a second shuriken cannon is a little upsetting, as I'll have to remove them at some point.  Ah, well - fingers crossed!



Pretty happy with how the eyes/waystones came out


Couldn't decide which 'glamour shot' angle I liked best


Close up on the crew details

The original Vyper I bought in 1997 is still in my collection, but it's already painted up, this particular Vyper finishes out a squad of three for my overall Ulthwe' army.  In working on this unit, I've been experimenting with darker skin tones as well, which is something I haven't done a lot of with my Eldar to-date, it's technique I'm looking forward to learning/improving.

1 Vyper Jetbike with Lascannon and upgraded Shuriken Cannon - 85 points

85 points for February 2022 (238 points painted so far)

February Playlist (some of the music from my painting sessions this month):

The March Violets, "Snake Dance"
Stoneburner - "Lisan Al Gaib"
Concrete Blonde - "Sky Is A Poisonous Garden"
Stromkern - "Stand Up"
The Prodigy - "Poison"
Soundgarden - "Get On The Snake"
The Jesus and Mary Chain - "Snakedriver"
Skinny Puppy - "Tin Omen"
Bassnectar and Kraddy - "Snakecharmer"
Stabbing Westward - "Falls Apart"

10 comments:

  1. I love Vypers (I play 3rd though) Great vyper! And March Violets, Skinny Puppy (slaanesh music!) Stabbing Westward...wonderful music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am trying to tie musical themes in with my painting sessions, sometimes I can really get into a good zone with the right songs.

      Delete
  2. Looking good, nice smooth application of colours, well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate it, thanks - tough to get the yellows smooth enough!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is lovely, but referencing the MARCH VIOLETS? That wins the internet today, bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely viper! The colour fade is ideal - and, it is super refreshing to see a non-white skin for eldar 💪🔥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really crisp yellows and that color fade is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very tidy job - the highlighting on the Vyper's panels really makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Vypers and this one would have looked right at home in a 90's issue of White Dwarf. Lovely job.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog