Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Grant's Wood Elf Host - Month 3 *Leader Month* (993 pts)

 This month was an unexpected triumph on the painting front. My partner contracted Covid early in the month, and despite our best efforts, I managed to get it too. In suitably annoying fashion, first testing positive on the first day she returned a negative lateral flow. I was dangerously close to thinking that I was immune. I would not survive a zombie movie.

I didn’t have a particularly nice time of it, and ended up taking a week off work as a result. Basically all I could manage to do, other than laying in bed watching prestige dramas, was a bit of painting. I’d paint a couple of colours, go lie down for an hour, paint a couple of colours, go lie down for an hour, and repeat that throughout the day. Definitely not recommended, but I did manage to get a lot done on the painting front.

I’d mentioned in previous blog entries that I was planning on adding some stretch goals to my project, and I’d initially planned on making a start on them in this month. Covid meant that I didn’t feel up to doing any modelling prep, bases etc, so I’ve moved up my Leader month, since I already had them good to go. Totally champagne problems.

I’ve managed to do a lot this month, completing my 40 archers, finishing the unit of Spear wielding kinband, the cavalry, and the Beastmaster and his Boar buddies. From the initial 2000pt list that I submitted at the end of 2021, I only have the Treeman left to paint. We’re nearly twice as far through the project as was expected, which is a lovely place to be!

Let’s take a look at this month’s offerings-

8 Archers (Brown Hair mk2) – 88pts









5 Warrior Kinband, Spears - 50pts - 3 in the month's brown, and 2 additions, to round out the regiment of 20 to have 4 of each of the 5 hair colours in the army.



1 Boar – 6pts

1 Wood Rider, Longbow – 26pts (will probably upgrade this chap to be a Hero)



1 Glade Watcher (Level 5 Hero) – Great Weapon 50pts

1 Standard Bearer and Musician, Spears – 40pts - 1 of each of the hair colours I hadn't added to the Spears above.



1 Wood Lord (Level 15 Hero) 128pts – Additional Hand Weapon +1pts, Longbow +3pts, Eagle +75pts, Hail of Doom +25pts – 232pts - Obviously inspired/plagiarised from the definitive Eagle rider conversion from Mike McVey.

                                                                               

1 Sylvan Chieftain (Level 20 Hero) 168pts – Baneblade +5pts, Hail of Doom +25pts – 198pts - Using Elric, the White Wolf from the Eternal Champion range here. Think it fits in quite well with the Wood Elf aesthetic.

                                                        

1 Sylphseer ( Level 15 Wizard) – 203pts - I used Kaia Stormwitch for this. 'Officially', she was the standard bearer from Skarloc's Archers, and I'd planned to use her in the Spears unit in a similar role. I hated the newer Wizard mini, so she's been upgraded. I'm happy with this, even if her staff is maybe a *little* too big for a wizard rather than a banner pole.

                                                        

1 Wight – 100 pts - I used the Vidyagg, Life Elemental model for this. It's a beautiful old Nick Bibby miniature, and I'd definitely recommend it.

                     

For a monthly total of 993pts for the month! Adding to the previous month’s totals, the project now stands at a total of 1724pts!

I’ve made a start on the expansion to the Army. My plan for the next couple of months is to do more infantry – Another 20 strong kinband with basic handweapons, and to add some Wardancers as well. Wardancers are the definitive non-Archer Wood Elf troop to me. When I think Wood Elves, I think about Archers and Wardancers. It’d be remiss to not include these, so we’ll do them over the next few months. I’m then planning on closing out with my Wild card month, where I’ll paint the Treeman from the original project plan, and add an Elven Attack Chariot and another Eagle rider. If I can find enough, I’d like to track down some Marauder Archers to add some more of the Elite Archer types. This should be more than enough to get us up to 3000pts.

In the meantime, this is what we're looking at for the units of the project.

See you all next month for some more rank and file.

Spears - Lots and lots of spears




Beastmaster and pals

Wood Riders



Archers


17 comments:

  1. Lovely looking woodies :)

    Well done for managing to find a way to stay productive during Covid. I had to do something similar right at the start of the challenge but didn't get anywhere near as much done as you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuntcat. It's when you get to that 'too sick to work, too well to do nothing' stage that I was able to actually make some progress!

      Delete
  2. That is a fantastic looking host, I have some elves to do as part of a ongoing Bloodbath Project so will certainly be adding these to my inspiration when I get to them. Looking forward to seeing this grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No higher compliment than being in someone's inspiration folder! Thanks very much.

      Delete
  3. More beautiful work dude, looking forward to seeing this all together as an army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Venon_Mouse. They do make for quite a sight racked up on my chest of drawers, with all their unpainted buddies.

      Delete
  4. OMG, these are wonderful (and striped pants!) Proving Covid is good for something, but get well and stay well, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd think of it more as a life, lemons, lemonade type situation than something good!

      Delete
  5. Cracking progress with the boys and girls, well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Golffag, I'm happy with this month's efforts.

      Delete
  6. Jeeeez - so much done already, and at such quality. Top job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers epicsatsuma. There's definitely a lot of them now. Happy with the progress.

      Delete
  7. Just phenomenal work. Wish I were doing a different project so that I didn't suffer the comparison! Especially love the Life Elemental.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Goblinpaladin. I love the Life Elemental. She's actually the 2nd one I've painted. It's a lovely mini to paint, and I think she fits in well with the Wood Elf aesthetic.

      Delete
  8. Interesting choice to include the life elemental as a spirit host. It makes sense. Elven spirits wouldn't be evil. I've thought I'd use a life elemental model to model a 3rd ed Ariel type character - find some big oldhammer vibe fairy wings and glue them on back and it'd be a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warhammer Armies says Elvish Spirit Hosts are 'faded elves' rather than the usual malevolent spirits. From there, it was a short leap into Dryad types. I think she fits quite well.

      Delete
  9. Glad you made it through the Covid, and good to see you got some painting in. Quite a productive month, regardless of stretch goals! Good looking army all around, nice to see the Life Elemental and I really like your basing.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog