Saturday, August 6, 2022

Stephen's Songs of the Damned - Post-OWAC V Wrap-Up Musings (1,411 points) - "The Eldar"

I've tasted poison
When I drank the wine of Fate
But fear was in my heart
I realized too late
The house of spirits call

For the Eldar
I'm trapped inside this dream
Of the Eldar's
Song of Doom


Blind Guardian
"The Eldar"
Nightfall In Middle-Earth
Virgin/Century Media 1998


That's A Wrap!


Nerdy, Tired-Eyed, Obsessing Prince of Space Elves, Stephen, 
with his Minimum-Requirements Ulthwé Army

Past the finish line! Somehow, I made it. I was not at all sure I would, and there were times I nearly succumbed to the urge to find a place of rest in yonder Field of Bones. That time will surely come...but not yet.


'Old metal models,' indeed

This is the first time I've participated in any sort of large-scale, long-term painting challenge. I'd already started on "Project: Full Metal Ulthwé" back in early 2021, as my actual time spent playing hams-related games had (for understandable reasons) dropped off precipitously.

For over a year, our hams group was meeting up weekly over Discord to paint and chat for a few hours, which I found to be a real morale booster, to say nothing of the effect such support and encouragement had on me, spurring me on as a hobbyist, seeking improvement, however incremental, every week.


'The Retro Guy' 

I am definitely more of a grognard these days (at the local I'm starting to be recognized as 'the retro guy'), as far as my love for old models and classic painting styles goes - I like to think I keep an eye towards the new, though, and look forward to applying what I've learned over the last six months on my next project, a more modern Biel-Tan force. With plastic models, even. Heh! Man, what a scene!

After finishing up with my last entry, I decided I wanted to throw some classic-looking scenery together for the final display. A hectic weekend later, I had several stacks of rocks, and forest templates with trees ready to go. 



"Maiden world.  Those words!  Imagine the mysteries, the memories that lie waiting..."


I thought I'd be pretty burned out on painting for awhile after the last six months, but if anything, I feel almost eager to get back to painting, like, energized.  

So, at last, here is my completed army for the Old World Army Challenge, a sonorous dirge echoing from an ever more distant past, into an uncertain future.


The warhost moves out through the sun-dappled woodland


Eldrad and Council


Yaisanehtar on the hunt


Scouts, doing what they do best


Autumn's Rage prepare to unleash hell


Bright Shards ready their lasguns for a deadly fusillade


The Storm of Retribution have razor-sharp payback on their minds


The Three Dooms shall fall upon the enemy from afar, tearing reality itself asunder


Ulthwé Warhost Baradlhinni ("The Songs of the Damned")

Eldrad Ulthran w/The Staff of Ulthamar - 220 points

Tenrith Star-Splinter (Warlock Master with Singing Spear) - 152 points

Yrlla the Implacable (Warlock Champion with Force Sword) - 97 points

Tamishar of Eldrion (Warlock Champion with Witchblade) - 97 points

The Bright Shards (8 Guardians with Lasguns) - 88 points

Autumn's Rage (8 Guardians with Shuriken Catapults) - 128 points

Storm of Retribution (8 Guardians with Shuriken Catapults) - 128 points

The Wandering Kin (9 Scouts plus Leader with Power Sword) - 236 points

The Three Dooms (3 Distort Cannons on Anti-Grav Platforms with Crew, 60 points each) - 180 points

Yaisanehtar ["Steel-Slayer"] (Eldar Vyper with Lascannon and Shuriken Cannon) - 85 points

Total: 40 infantry, 3 characters, 3 artillery pieces, 1 vehicle, 1,411 points


(Bonus shot here of the larger army including the models I painted in 2021)



But Wait

I mean, would I paint all of these rad 90's-era metal 40K minis without actually playing a game of Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium?

Well, what do you think?


IT'S HAPPENING


The boyz is mustered and spoilin' for a fight


Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka, giving his customary pre-battle pep talk to the ladz


Boar Boyz ready to give some weedy gits "da business"


Checks out!


The forces arrayed - 1500 points for each side


The table is set, it's krumpin' time!


No Ghazghkull, no problem - the Orks advance with reckless abandon 


Close combat Guardians follow the implacable march of the Wraithguard


Guardians rush forward to buy time for the Distort Cannon crew


Please, stop roasting my Guardians

This was exactly as crazy a game as you'd expect it to be - from a Guided D-Cannon immediately sending Ghazghkull and his Battlewagon into the Warp (but leaving Makari behind), to a Splatta Kannon tearing through a squad of Wraithguard, to a squad of Storm Guardians getting krumped relentlessly by a Dread that I couldn't even scratch the paint on for some reason...Eldrad and the Ulthwé forces won the day after four turns of incredible slaughter on all sides.

The game didn't make a lot of sense, but it was thematic, fun as hell, and looking back through the lens of over 25 years of playing 40K, getting to play the game I started with again, fielding the army I've always wanted to see in action...it was extremely satisfying, I highly recommend it.


In Closing

I'd like to congratulate my fellow Challengers on completing their forces. It has been a great honor to participate alongside such a company of extremely talented painters, and I am proud to stand among those who completed the Challenge - thanks to one and all for your words of encouragement and praise.

Thanks to Jes Goodwin for his timeless design of the Eldar range and aesthetic - I started with these models in '96, and remain solely an Eldar player and collector to this day, no other faction in the game will ever hold the same appeal to me.  I will continue to Stay Pointy!

Thanks also to Mike McVey and the Citadel 'Eavy Metal studio for the endless font of inspiration that is the 2nd Edition Codex Eldar 'Eavy Metal section - the power of the colors and the skillful application on display baffled me from the start, but remained a constant challenge to improve myself as a hobbyist.

I also want to thank the folks of the FRIENDLY! gaming group, whose encouragement and advice were a huge help in staying on task every month, y'all are great, and I'm very proud to be a part of our group.

Extra-special thanks to our Overlord, Iannick, for welcoming me into the Challenge from the wait list, and for all his hard work and diligence in making possible this presentation of our shared passion to a larger world.

Most of all, I want to express my sincere appreciation and gratitude to my partner, Jen - this is by far the most time I've ever consistently dedicated to a hobby project. Her support and understanding has been tremendous, especially in a time that was personally pretty turbulent for me healthwise. She's the best, and I love her forever.

Until we meet again, I wish you all shade and sweet water, long days and pleasant nights.


~Stephen


...


Oh, wait, I almost forgot!


July Playlist (some of the music I've been listening to while making terrain, taking endless photos, and writing this entry)

Blind Guardian - "The Eldar"
Rammstein - "Zeit"
Alice in Chains - "Over Now"
Soundgarden - "Superunknown"
Dream Evil - "Heavy Metal In The Night"
Bolt Thrower - "...For Victory"
Beck - "Lord Only Knows"
Chemlab - "Rivet Head"
Contagion - "Scratch"
Garbage - "Hammering In My Head"

Phew!  Nearly jinxed the whole thing.  😉

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your first OWAC! Eldar are my favorite army, and you did them proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, I really like how your Marines turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pics! Great force, old school

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marvellous! This is exactly the sort of thing we all pictured when The Overlord said, "Oh go on then, paint 40k if you must".

    ReplyDelete
  5. As oldhammer as it gets. What a lovely sight to see, all those lovingly painted Eldar arranged for destruction by the noble ork!
    Nah, honestly - this is such a nice army. The paint scheme and application is great, it's so crisp. From the blackline to the tattoos, the camo and the banners. Truly hits all the right spots. Glorious

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant wrap up post! Great job on that scenery, you really did pull off an army and a battle rep worthy of a White Dwarf feature. Also brilliant to hear what the challenge has meant for you. Looking forward to seeing what you do next :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool classic force, love the sharp contrast colours. Great presentation and the old school scenery just makes it even better! Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog