Thursday, March 30, 2023

Ratwig's March OWAC VI WAB Romano-British Rank and File Entry #3: Cohort 1 Tungrorum Miliaria (350 points)

My entry for March is an eighteen man unit of Milites, Cohort 1 Tungrorum Miliaria, led by a Tribune, Gnaeus. This was an actual unit raised in the Ardennes and sent to Britain. They are equipped with hand weapon, javelins (plumbatae, or lawn darts as I call them), spears, large shields and light armor. The unit includes full command of leader, standard bearer and musician and costs 214 points total. Tribune Gnaeus is equipped with sword, javelins, large shield and light armor for 136 points puting the grand total for this at 350 points. Shields were hand painted. Gripping Beast sells a pack of hands with lawn darts so I used those to convert the rear rank to be ready to launch said lawn darts. Spears and banner pole are the usual brass rods. The draco banner was swiped from a Black Tree designs command fig. The figures are a mix of Saxon (now Warlord), Gripping Beast and Footsore.

The unit together:




 

Tribune Gnaeus' shield:



Command group:



Front rank:



Second rank:



Third rank - ready to launch lawn darts:



Well, another bunch of dudes with spears joins the army.

Time for a Jack and to prep some horsey riders for next month!

Ratwig out...

9 comments:

  1. Nice looking unit again! Did you have a historical reference for the shield design for Gnaeus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't remember where I first got the reference for those. My home computer died on me last week and I would have a hard time referencing anything right now. The Dura Europos shields come to mind as one possible source.

      Delete
    2. Ok, looks good and authentic.

      Delete
  2. Can't say I know much about historical minis, but they look great! I know the horn is historically accurate (still have one) Is the banner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are references to the use of draco standards, but as to coloring of the streamer, I just try to stay with unit shield colors. This one was simple, two colors. Some of the other Late Roman designs were complex with multiple colors used so a draco streamer might be be quite busy. Reference: "Notitia Dignitatum"

      Delete
  3. These are really cool, love the addition of the plumbata. I had no idea that they were thrown from the "wrong" end, literally like lawn darts, though? I always assumed they were chucked like a spear or javelin. Well I never!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great unit with bags of character - nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 18 models is going great guns. Love the extra red stripe on the Tribunes sleeve :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog