Sunday, April 30, 2023

Paul M's High Elf Host - Rank and File Month Four - Archers of Lothern




As promised April saw a return to the stormy island city of Lothern for my fourth and final rank and file month, and also my final unit of archers.

Last year I decided to make my own proxy Lothern Seaguard unit from plastic monopose archers and spearmen, some brass rod, and lots and lots of milliput for press moulded shields. I must confess that by the end of the unit build I hated them and didn't want to look at them, but the colour scheme I chose really livened them up and I ended up painting a mage in the same colours... then two bolt throwers... then a Hero on a Griffon...

I had a third and final unit of 22 archers undercoated and waiting for OWAC VI so it made sense for me to add to this contingent within my grand host and give myself a chance to revisit the colour scheme with its bright turquoise (VMC Sea Green and Blue-Green) and mixed blue-green armour (just army painter blue tone and green tone applied carefully in patches and stripes over Citadel Leadbelcher)


The command figures are a bit of a mix as you can see. The musician is the old metal Lothern Seaguard command. I kept back the one bow and quiver I had with this design for use in this unit as it felt more 'archery' to me. However I should really have waited and taken a press mould of it so I could use a copy for the leader who instead makes do wit ha left over press moulded bow and quiver from last year.  The leader is another repurposed bolt thrower crewman, who I think make good archer unit leaders if you are running low on actual champions...

Or you have damaged champions, as in this case (missing sword), who then lend themselves to being converted into standard bearers. The standard is made from a bit of brass rod and a plastic spiky gem bit from the plastic HE mage kit combined with foil from a wine bottle for the banner. 

As you can see here while the style of the banner is more in keeping with the Lothern Seaguard from last year, the runes on the banner are the same as for the other two 'citizen levy' archer units in my army; Minaith meaning: "Skill in arms, spirituality, the Lost Way" and Senlui meaning: "Swiftness, accuracy"

Total for the month:

22 High Elf Archers (including Standard and Musician) - 240pts

And here they are alongside the rest of the Lothern contingent from OVAC V:


I also managed a very quick brush up of two Yvresse themed Bolt Throwers to better match the recently refurbished archers from February this year.


That's it for April. May should be leader month, but I basically have everything left in my HE collection on my painting table right now so in the true traditions of the OWAC it could still be a wild card and a rush to the finish line with the leaders in June.

Onwards to another month of OWACing! You know you'll miss it once it's gone!


13 comments:

  1. Love this colour scheme. I think we all end up with a unit which we *hate* painting, but this one has come out looking great. Well done on getting past it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the proxy Seaguard from last year that I ended up hating... before I started painting them. The paint scheme was both redemptive and addictive as I went on to paint lots of things in this turquoise colour, so by the time I came round to doing these Archers I was actually looking forward to it :)

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely color scheme for sea elves. I did/am doing mine in sea green, but I think I like yours better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lissane! I bet yours look great in sea green! :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with the others on the colour scheme, I really love how the armour looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnanks Jaska, I wasn't sure how the patches of coloured inks would look over the armour but it has worked out well and gave the effect I was after :)

      Delete
  4. Yeah, that's a cracking job - especially if you're not 'feeling it', and so many models again! Gotta be pleased with adding to that force from OWACV - it look's like a proper army! I really like the banner model - the fade on the banner looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate! It was a memory of 'not feeling it' with the proxy Seaguard from last year, and this colour scheme reinvigorating my painting mojo. I was actually really looking forward to painting yet more Archers as long as it was in this colour scheme :)

      Delete
  5. That's a pretty bold colour scheme, well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chief! Given your striking use of colour in your chaos demons I will definitely take that as a compliment :)

      Delete
  6. I feel your pain on the plastic monopose archers as I went through that a few years ago, but they really do look great! I think they just need some interesting paintwork to make them look good, and you provided that!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog