Thursday, May 25, 2023

Tom's Sisters of Battle: Month Five - Troopers



A pict showing the Sisters purging the foul Ork.


Well, MAY. A month of finishing off the Sisters sculpts and roundly ignoring any Militia models... 
I did, as penance though, paint this biker which I am really very pleased with! Especially the rams head on the shoulder pad. I'd love to paint up the two others that I have, but this one was a chore, so we'll see what the final month (a Wildcard - where anything goes) can rustle up....







I think maybe I should dirty down those yellow exhausts a bit more, and I could maybe paint a fleur de lis on the real mudguard... But these things are more likely for the next model :)

I have tried to upgrade my photographing game, by borrowing some Big Lights, and then playing around with some free Android apps - namely BackgroundEraser which has enabled an automatic cut out of the model from the background which I can then place on a stock white background and hence eliminate shadows and have all the pictures with a standard background. 

I ummed and ahhed over the cost of these next two models, but in the end I bit the bullet and brought them (thanks to some overtime at work). I've erased the cost, due to shame, but in the interest of disclosure they worked out to be £50 for the pair... I was so enthused to get started on them that I neglected to take a proper timestamp for them, so I hope these ebay screenshots will suffice....




And here they are! I'm very pleased with both of them :)


Sister Jayne πŸ‘‡




Sister Gabbs πŸ‘‡




Here's a photo of how they look both together with my regular pict set-up. You can really see what I mean about standardising the background!



And a nice shot to compare the old (1988) minis next to their modern Satyr Studio (2022) counterparts, and some just about out-of-production GW models



Another duplicate sculpt, this time of Sister Heidi. I  really like how her hair came out, and it kinda makes me wish I'd painted them all with white hair...





Sister Ray πŸ‘‡




Sister Morphine πŸ‘‡




Up next, this Witch Hunter Acolyte πŸ‘‡I wanted the cheques to tie him into the Sisters a bit more, but maybe I should have painted the green robe white like the Preacher from previous months instead. Anyway, I think it looks a bit more heat resistant in green πŸ™ƒ





Finally, flagellant militia. I did do a push to at least get some of them painted!πŸ‘‡
I think I wanted the blue hair to be reminiscent of woad dye. I was also toying with the idea of some holy warpaint, but the motivations for this unit are super low so it was a case of keeping it simple. There's a LOT of duplicate sculpts, but that is to be embraced! Hopefully I can paint a few more in June...




The second πŸ‘‡ In hindsight maybe the strap round the mouth should be a different colour - probably black or a dark red...




The thirdπŸ‘‡





The fourth πŸ‘‡





And finally, an impeachable Inquisitor! πŸ‘‡




Here's a pic of my new photo set up. The lights I have borrowed from a friend (who is a ceramicist, and needs to take good photos for his online shop ), and the tripod I've borrowed from my partner...
In it you can see all the terrain I was painting last month, almost all specifically for these pics, although I didn't really have an idea of how I wanted them to be set up. 
I kinda wish I'd painted another set of stairs so I could join the two and have gangways between them, and so a larger display area. Maybe for the army shot in July eh?







And now the resulting cropped image, with the shadows and black point deepened a little bit (all done on the phone with the stock Google Images app) πŸ‘‡

This is all of the Drew Day Williams sculpts together.




And now the links back through the Challenge, and this months figure breakdown:


Intro: Army list - link
Month one: Leaders - link - 227 points
Month two: Troopers - link - 280 points
Month three: Troopers - link - 290 points
Month four: Troopers - link - 224 points

Month five: Troopers - 281 points
48...Sister on attack bike (points are for a regular Sister with heavy flamer)
140...Sister Jayne
.........Sister Gabbs
.........Sister Heidi
.........Sister Ray
.........Sister Morphine 
4...Militia
4...Militia 
4...Militia 
4...Militia 
23...Acolyte (points are for a Missionary Champion) 
54...Inquisitor (points are for a Confessor)

TOTAL: 281 

  
This puts my Sisters force at a comfortable 1302 points, so the last month of the Challenge is a no pressure month. I have been slowly painting militia taken from the hive world of Necromunda to assist the Sisters (as part of another challenge), but I will show these next month along with an insidious threat which you can peek at below :)
I'm aiming to paint the rest of the flagellants and hopefully another bike, but I may get carried away with the xenos 😬. Either way, it's definitely non committal πŸ˜‚ , but there will be Things to See!

Cheers!



A xenos infestation is uncovered!


13 comments:

  1. Brilliant work as always Tom - love those bold colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! And ooooh that bike! (Sister Ray & Sister Morphine, LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bike is cool - I hope you find the strength to paint the remaining two next month. And don't worry, Gabbs and Jayne were surely worth the money

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I! And thanks about G&J, I think they're amongst the best I've done for this army :)

      Delete
  4. There is so much detail and character to enjoy in your painting, I just love it! These are truly magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoooo! +1 for Team Insidious Threat!

    Another beautiful set of paint jobs here mate, and all the effort with the photography is definitely paying off :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one - thank you! Knuckling down for these flagellant militia is the main focus now, but hopefully a classic Threat planned for next month (but is yet unpainted....)

      Delete
  6. My favourite piece is the Witch Hunter Acolyte but all of them look great, specially on the "Family" Pic with the scenery

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog