Thursday, December 28, 2023

Ben's Alpine Gnomes - 0WAC VII - Introduction

 

The Introduction

As of 2023, wargaming has been a part of my life for over 20 years. I started during sixth edition for Warhammer Fantasy Battles, with the big red book and the monopose handgunners, watching the hobby heroes of my local shop duke it out with gobs of gorgeous lead soldiers. It was all over for me then and there. Since that time, I've followed projects like the Old World Army Challenge that celebrate old minis and rules and its only fed my fascination with the period. Now with the new year in sight, I'm feeling the itch to see something cool all the way through, and have subsequently dug out an army of gnomes in preparation for OWAC VII!!

The Project

So many Pikes, so little time.
  
When I said "an army of gnomes," I genuinely meant one of my armies of gnomes. Years ago I found Old School Miniatures range of alpine gnomes during the undead gnome hallowed-ween kickstarter (as sculpted by OWAC's own Byron,) and went in deep on both forces. Then I found Admiralty Miniature's 15mm Chaos Dwarfs, which matched the OSM range beautifully. Before reality set in (and I realized how broke I was getting collecting these armies,) I managed to crank out a Dragon Rampant force of Undead Gnomes. Shortly thereafter I was engrossed in other misadventures, and my misbegotten pile of lead sank to the back of the queue. This year however, I'll be composing the Alpine Gnomes I barely based, and get a tabletop ready army for Warhammer Fantasy Battles 5th Edition (rules for which live here.)

Baggage from my own baggage train, including a baggage train.
 

I'm still awaiting some models in the post, but for now I have a tidy little pile of lead to kick off OWAC VII, (I thought they'd arrive before Christmas, but then again I don't think many miniature companies ship via reindeer.)


The List

illusionist (56)

champion on foot with light armor and pike (37)

champion on foot with halberd and light armor (41)

champion on fox, with light armor and shield (41)

20 pike gnomes w/ light armor, bsb, music and cantonal standard (143)

14 crossbow gnomes (84)

10 guarden-gnomes w/ light armor, bsb, and music (150)

1 cannon (60)

1 organ gun (50)

1 alpine giant (160)

5 fox rievers w/ bsb, and music (98)

5 fox patrol (75)

Baggage Train (free)

995/1000

The Plan

Some old coots for scale.

 I don't know fifth as well as sixth, but I think the block of pikemen is probably incredibly potent, and between the artillery and the fox cavalry, the army will have plenty of ways to address incoming enemies. I have no idea how magic works, and so I kept that to a minimum. I did find adequate info on how the alpine giant works (its a lot like other giants tbh) and so I popped one in there for good measure. That said, I would really like to try this army out once the challenge is done, so perhaps that'll be the icing on the cake of this whole experience. A treat atop a treat.

In anticipation for OWAC I hunted down a copy. It mostly made sense, but much to my dismay I discovered that the rules for magic are in another flipping book. Ah well, back to ebay.

And So...

I can't emphasize enough how excited I am to embark upon this journey with you, so I won't. Suffice to say, it's an undertaking I've been eager to begin for quite some time now, and now that it's time to start, I'll cut out here and get the brushes going. See you in January my friends!

Sometimes you just gotta draw a gnome, y'gnome?

6 comments:

  1. These look cute! Always fun to see an army of miniatures that I'm not already familiar with. I had gnome idea that there were so many gnome army options out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good to see my sculpts out in the wild :) Can't wait to see how you paint them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds and looks like a fun project, gnomes don't get the love they deserve! Good luck in the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So tiny! Good luck with the paint 👊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gnomes marching to war! Who would have though? I can't wait to see this project come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OSM Gnomes have a good tradition in the OWAC so it is nice to see them back and the Alpine Theme is a lot of fun to work with. I hope you have a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog