Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Tom's Chaos Renegades: Intro

 

As foretold in last year's post, 2024 sees the power of Chaos wax strong



And well, we all wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the bigman Hisself - the Horus Heresy πŸ™ƒ

This πŸ‘‡ is a model lovingly recreated from original parts, and then cast. I believe it's limited edition, but who knows! I tried to save painting him for the Challenge - but I failed. I post Him here to show the true Master of my planned Chaos Renegade force πŸ‘Š



So, waaay back I collected adhoc fantasy Chaos which came with a few 40k models. Last year I brought a load of sci-fi Sisters which I used for my Sisters of Battle force from Satyr Studio, and along with them I picked up a few Ladies of Rage.
This formed the seeds of a respectable 40k Renegade force, but when the plan to actually paint an 40k army solidified, I got carried away 😬. To hell with an actual plan - how chaotic! 

This army is, in my brain, most likely a two year project. Hopefully next year will see a fantasy chaos force with elements of 40k, all based in the same style as this year to create a mix genre force which only the Warp can bring together!

So to paint a diverse 40k Chaos army, and to reflect the models I have, I am turning to the 2nd edition army book. This ruleset allows the differing Chaos factions to all be included together into one lovely chaotic blob.



I have recently been afflicted by a fit of painting motivation for this project and I've already painted up a small force, which is actually the largest amount of models I have painted outside of this Challenge!

It's enabled me to work out a few paint schemes so hopefully I can hit the ground running come January. (The only faction I've not had a pop at so far are Khorne, so I am thinking mainly blue/black for them, with red and dark green accents...)

Anyway, I started off with colour inspiration and I've picked out a palette using Rick and Morty's Mr Nimbus as inspiration. 
You may be able to tell that I originally had plans for a pure Slaaneshi army.



And from this pic I chose these colours:



I've since added a few more - a dark blue and a lighter red which I can't find right now. I'm also using AK White Grey and Black Stallion by GSW.
Fluorescent paint also used when I can remember it, but....


And here's a few models to get an idea of colour scheme:

Slaanesh/Nurgle
Nurgle/Tzeench





Aaaanyway, on to the: 

Army list.

Marines
91...Chaos Lord
55...Army Icon (Festimus from Knightmare Miniatures, also with one of their resin banners)
52...Sorcerer 
175...5 x Khorne Berzerkers
175...5 x Khorne Berzerkers
175...5 x Plague Marines
150...5 x Noise Marines
150...5 x Noise Marines (Sleggbots from Wereweevil Miniatures)
150...5 x Thousand Sons Marines
MARINES TOTAL: 1173

I've left out any optional weapons, armour or mounts as 1000 points is quickly reached. I'd like this list to be my focus, however.... I am well aware that my motivation ebbs and wanes like the tides of the warp, so I have also based up this listπŸ‘‡ from which I could either add to the army when I run out of models, or replace a demotivating unit with something else.

Daemons
190...5 x Flesh Hounds - no picture as yet as they are in transit πŸ™‚
175...5 x Bloodletters (Bloodthirsty Fiends from Satyr Arts Studio) - no picture as yet I'm afraid as I have packed them away in deep storage whilst we move house.
200...5 x Daemonettes
175...5 x Plaguebearers
175...5 x Pink Horrors (and requisite Blue Horrors)
140...4 x Flamers
DAEMON TOTAL: 1055

GRAND TOTAL: 2228 // 62 models

Somewhere I must also include the Greater Daemon of Slaanesh - the Keeper of Secrets, as it would be weird not too! It's the limited run from Drew Day Williams at Satyr Studio, based on the Tony Ackland art (as seen in the meme at the top of this post). I have already painted up a Great Unclean One and a Lord of Change, so it would be a great goal to have all four of the Ruinous Powers painted before the Summer.


EXTRAS
I always have to have some sorbet minis to refresh the painting mojo, and there's a rough pic below to cover all that. The aim with these is the same as the daemons for the marines, I could swap something out if push comes to shove. I'd also like to paint something from here for my Wild Card month.

 
AIM 
Each OWAC I have done, I have tried something a new. 
This year, it's basing on cork and also using milliput to make the movement trays a bit more interesting. It has increased the amount of pinning I have had to do, as I have had to snip off the base tab (oh the horror!) and pin the foot into the cork. There are some models where this has proved impossible - for example the khorne bloodletters, but hopefully the basing around the feet isn't too noticeable from afar.

I've also switched over to a brush-on satin varnish from Vallejo which I am currently very much a fan of. No matt varnish for these Renegades! With regards to actual paint technique I'm trying (once again) to speed up with the help of wet blending. I'm trying out a Glaze Medium for the first time too.

....

Some inspiration pics for colours/banners that I looked at


And I've also been motivated by Joshua Van Zane's wonderful commission job here. Around 19 minutes in : YouTube


Fallen Suns stunning bannerwork using Samurai Jacks AKU worshipping Chaos Dwarfs : link



And also Martin Taylor (Tains Miniature Painting) wonderful chaos: Instagram

And last year's rampaging army by James Patterson link


And finally Michael Latter on that there Instagram's

(I'm a big fan of the white faces!)

...

And now the Renegades in their monochrome glory....

This Inquisitor will make a perfect Chaos Lord - especially with his demon sword. I've popped a backpack on him for a more chaosy outline. Maybe it powers an internal skeleton or something...πŸ‘‡ 





Slaanesh models, minus two demons which are floating around in a box somewhere πŸ‘‡ Excuse that khorne sculpt, but he'll make up the Slaanesh numbers...



Nurgle followers, with the army standardπŸ‘‡


Tzeentchian avian fungi. Gutted I can't find the other flamer. I'm sure it's somewhere, but maybe not...πŸ‘‡



Pink Horrors!πŸ‘‡


Khornate followers πŸ‘‡


Khornate Daemons - either in the post or in storage I'm afraid.
Anyhow they'll look something like thisπŸ‘‡

image from Satyr Studio



image from solegends.com

Monsters! What army of Chaos is complete without a few monsters? There's a beast of nurgle available from Simon Roberts in the Hybrid Miniatures Facebook page, a Star Wars inspired droid from Rykar Groves Star Bowl Kickstarter from years ago, a frog and misinformation unit, both from Alternate Armies. A Steed from Wereweevil Minis and an Ambot from Knightmare Minis. A palanquin of Nurgle, which I am very much looking forward too and finally: a fantasy chaos dude with The Best Left Foot EVER! πŸ‘‡


Hopefully I can paint one of the pictures above worth in each month, and the monsters are for when it goes really very well. I'm very optimistic, but I'm also well aware that the mojo can flee at any moment! I'm also due to move house in January, and need to find another job at the same time so... That'll be fun.

All the best of painting progress to all the Challengers, and thank you for checking out my plans!

May your brushes never split πŸ‘Š

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful looking army. Also, lovely to hear your aims and to see those influences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is already a lot to explore just looking at the unpainted models. These will make an amazing army. I like your colour scheme that combines all the chaos factions. It will be intesting to see how you stitch Khorne into the scheme

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cool army and I love the color scheme you have proposed! (and- 'Fire! Fire! hehehe...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This promises to be a treat. So many classic renegades and daemons in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look really promising. I like your source of inspiration and miniatures. This will be fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A riotous mix of inspiration and colour! Love the mix of old and new here, but all definitely in the spirit of RT. Top stuff :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog