Tuesday, January 30, 2024

James WRR's Rank & File Month 1: Daemonic incursion

Right, so that January went by pretty fast, didn’t it? You know what they say: "Time flies when you’re having fun. But don’t have too much fun because eventually you’ll create a Chaos god of hedonism and excess." The Eldar learned that the hard way.

You may remember from my introductory post that I was struggling a bit to find a colour scheme for my burgeoning Rogue Trader Emperor’s Children army. 

 

I wanted to both embrace the colour-puke of a true Oldhammer Chaos army, while also giving the force some kind of consistency. I wanted to avoid blue, if I could help it, as all my Chaos Space Marine armies of the past have somehow ended up largely blue. I wanted to lean towards Goblin Green bases but not too far (for both flexibility’s sake and because 40k only really embraced the pure green base in second edition). 

 

In short, my colour scheming was full of contradictions and competing ideals. Much like the concept of Chaos itself. Perfect! It’s a sign!

 

In the end I decided to jump into painting my force not with the basic Tactical Marine trooper, but with a rainbow of lesser Daemons. I thought that, if I could make such wild and wacky creatures, each painted in a unique colour, work as a cohesive unit, then I was onto a winner. 

 

So, with a quick prayer of purity and protection, a vow of abstinence (I was doing Dry January), and a full glass of paint water, I dove in… and succeeded in summoning a beautiful first squad. What do you think of these lovely crab-clawed succubi?

The first decision I tend to make when coming up with a colour scheme is picking a nice triad. That is, three colours that compliment and contrast each other well (just place a triangle on a colour wheel and you'll create your first triad). 

 

When painting evil forces, I usually find myself picking a nice, dark, neutral base colour for the largest parts of the model (think armour panels and so on). Then I choose a brighter, more intense spot colour that will be applied to the most prominent, relevant aspects of a model (trim, weapon casings, claws, etc.). Then, I choose a very vibrant colour, complimentary to the first but contrasting to the second, which will be used to pick out certain details (energised items, power swords, cables, eye lenses, etc.).


This triad technique has served me pretty well over the years. Following this rule allows me to pretty effortlessly create models with enough contrast and visual interest to be worth close study, but enough visibility and clarity to look great from a few feet away on the tabletop. 

 

Of course, once you have the rules down, you can start to break them, using splashes of competing colours and patterns to really add flavourful detail. And I really wanted my Renegade to be full of flavour.

 

Mmmm. Flavour. (Editors note: do not attempt to taste the lead figurines).


But what was my triad going to be for these traitorous Space Marines? I already had one colour sorted: a beautiful, rich burgundy-based pink that I just absolutely love. It’s at once deep and villainous, but also flamboyant and suitably Slaaneshi. Of course I had to apply this to my otherwise pastel Daemonettes. I think, along with the base, this pink really ties them together.

 

That just left the base colour for my armour panels. With the pink sorted, I knew that I had to give in and go for something on the cooler end of the spectrum: either the blue I wanted to avoid, a neutral black, or something in between. 

 

As you’ll see, in the end, I caved and went for blue. My reasoning was that this would allow me to easily include some units from other Chaos Gods’ cults down the line (when I transition the army into a second edition force).

 

I was also inspired by one of my favourite schemes of all time, one I’ve been meaning to paint for decades now but never really gotten around to. The one I speak of is this "unusual colour scheme", hidden away in a two-page illustration by John Blanche for the Chaos Space Marines second edition book. Pink trim, blue armour, silver details. It just works for a Slaaneshi force.

 

Instead of using pure teal as in the illustration, I decided to go for a much darker base, approaching black. By using three layers of blue highlights a(pplied in the form of some rippling highlights that followed the hand-sculpted curves of the armour), I found I was able to create a nice shiny lacquered effect. It's as if the Marines’ armour itself is subtly shifting and warping within the trim. Wonderful!

 

That just left the final, luminous colour for pipes, eyes and other glowing objects. A glowing green was a simple choice, but works well. I started by painting these a pastel teal (based on Scale Color's Boreal Green), then hit with a glaze of Citadel Contrast Ork Flesh. It’s slightly sickly and radioactive looking, as if the Marines are pumping some sort of dangerous toxin throughout their armour. 

 

These colours work really well on these models, both physically and thematically. At least, I like to think so! The exposed ribs and pipes glowing green from within suggest an inner sickness. The rippling blue armour suggests an external mutation. And the pink represents the influence of Slaanesh and delusion of his warriors. Sure, it’s not the most unique scheme in the end, but it’ll be the details and patterns that set them apart once applied.

 

And so, the scheme is decided. The first three Marines painted will give me a great guide for finishing the rest of the army.

 

Slaanesh’s power grows by the day. The Dark Prince rises! Behold, my first month’s quota complete:

An important note on my list and equipment: Chaos Renegades in Rogue Trader receive a mix of Rewards from their god and Personal Attributes as mutations (that can eventually lead them to becoming a hideous Spawn). These are supposed to be rolled randomly (the latter on a D1000 table!), but because the models themselves are now so rare and expensive, I've decided to pick out a few Rewards and Personal Attributes based on what exists on the model, then roll up some extras for fun. This'll also apply to my half-randomised Champion's Warband yet to come... Thankfully, this is actually encouraged in the Realm of Chaos books, so I don't need to feel too guilty.

 

Army list (as of January):

  

Caligulus the Hierophant

Chaplain on Steed of Slaanesh

Minor Hero, Hallucinogeic Grenades, 

Steed of Slaaanesh, Furry

60 

Dio Saevus
Possessee, host of a Daemonette
Minor Hero, Standard Equipment
Tentactles, Horns, Bestial Face, Powerful Legs, Agility, Massive Intellect
280

6 Daemonettes
Tentacles, Bestial Face, Prehensile Tails, Razor-Sharp Claws, Vividly Coloured Skin, Bulbous Eyes

600

 

Sgt. Franciscus Fereter 

Tactical Marine Sergeant
Razor-Sharp Claw, Bulbous Eyes

26

 

Total points for January

966 

  

Oh, and I can’t forget. My entry fee for this year’s revered challenge will be going to one dedicated Rogue Trader collector. I hope I can do this awesome old sculpt justice. I already have the perfect colour scheme in mind… see, it’s easier with loyal Space Marines!

 




16 comments:

  1. WOW What a start James !!! Amazing ! I can't wait to see next month ! I love the marine on steed !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate! That's high praise from the child of Slaanesh themselves! The Chaplain is one of my favourites as well

      Delete
  2. That's a really is a solid start! I love your choice of colours and models

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a bunch! It's been a super fun project so far

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some of the best Slaanesh old miniatures the Internet has ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, that's far too kind! Thanks a lot. I'm trying to do my favourite Chaos God justice ;)

      Delete
  5. And just like that the standard for OWACVII has been set. Outstanding first month. Your color choice for your Renegades is perfect. I cant wait to see what you do next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate! I'm glad you think that. I'm hoping I can keep it up!

      Delete
  6. These are brilliant, well done. Love the colours.

    One day I will actually look at a colour wheel instead of groping around in the dark. One day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch! Hahah I'm not really that great at colour theory myself. I mainly just try and strike a balance of looking great and being easy enough to paint!

      Delete
  7. Aaaaaaahhhh! Love them! 💖💀 A great post on your colour choices too - one that I'll endeavour to mimic at some point, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Be sure to let me know if and when you give it a go. Gotta recruit more Slaaneshi Renegades to the Long War!

      Delete
  8. Awesome start to the challenge! The choice of colours, level of detail and character you brought out is top notch! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sumptuous yet sickly and spot on for Slaanesh! I really appreciate you talking us through the colour choices like that, it really brought the Marines in particular to chaotic life :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog