Colonel Audacian charged past the advancing ranks of his regiment. Sword raised, his full voiced battle cry carrying over the explosions.
His command squad followed closely as the commissar struggled to keep up. They past the first wave of guardsmen and zig zagged through the fire pouring from the heretic stronghold.
Audacian knew exactly where he was going. He surged past bunkers and firing holes until he reached the enemy's HQ.
The imperial commander stared into the eyes of the heretic, raised his laspistol and shot him. Then the command section arrived and finished off the others. Immediately the heretic defence collapsed. Their soldiers downed their weapons and fled as Audacian's regiment chased them down.
The commissar scrambled in, panting and looked at Audacian.
"You appear to have spared your men again, Audacian." He said through intakes of breath. "But you have not proved your loyalty."
Audacian raised his pistol and shot the commissar.
"My loyalty to who?" Asked the colonel.
He leapt up and joined his men, chasing down the enemy.
Phew! I made it!
My dad took me to my first Games Workshop in 1989/1990 and bought me the plastic Imperial Guard box. I've dreamt of getting it painted up ever since.
That John Blanche artwork was a huge inspiration. When Byron announced the theme for OWAC 9 - a project inspired by a piece of oldhammer artwork, I knew what I had to do! I couldn't wait to make this army happen!
I had big plans at the end of 2025, but then dad fell very ill. He died in March and I considered walking away from the hobby all together. But I knew dad had spent too much time waiting patiently for me in model shops, I owed him this finished project.
Then we lost John Blanche.
So many wonderful people have contributed minis, ideas snd support to this Army. I had to get it done!
Caring for dad and then dealing with the fallout after he died left me with limited painting time and the army lacks lots of the detail I'd planned. I had to give up on painting the vehicles and many character minis.
But it's done and I couldn't be more proud.
And hobby time is great therapy! Every snatched painting session, though brief, gave me a break from the struggles of Real Life.
The army is mainly composed of those classic plastic guardsmen, sculpted by the Perry twins in the late 80s. Some are survivors from that first box I got when I was seven! Others have been contributed by wonderful members of the oldhammer community (thanks Auke, Joseph, Glyn and Graeme!)
The pot of Codex Grey I got as part of the Imperial paint set back in 1991 did the lion share of the work.
Huge thanks to Byron and the amazing team who make the challenge happen every year. Until I first joined back in 2023, I had never finished an army. Now I have three!
And big congratulations to all of the challengers. Whether you finished or not, you're all heroes!
I'm already planning for OWAC X. Can't wait!
Final Army Points:
1 x Command Section: 280 Points
1 x Commissar: 45 Points
1 x Support Squad: 445 Points
3 x Tactical Squads: 600 Points
Total: 1,370 Points




No comments:
Post a Comment