Wednesday, August 5, 2026

The Relief of Plavigorica - Mark's Araby Ally Contingent wrap up post

Once Plavigorica had recovered somewhat from the deprivations of the siege, and had brought in its first harvest in peace, (the Skaven having scurried back to their tunnels afraid to venture forth under the watchful eyes that guard the marches of the city), Vojvod Milos sent out two envoys of his own.  

One travelled north to impress upon the Elector of Averheim the reality of the Skaven threat, lately dismissed as "fantastical". The other took the desert road to offer a tribute of thanks to the Sultan of Arjijil.  

Beset upon by the Chomped Lug'ole goblins, this southern mission took refuge in a crevasse in the Badlands, at the bottom of which, they discovered a number of velum pages that had evidently been torn from ibn Gudruk's journal.  These told the true account of Emir Sulemain's journey.  The pages were later handed to Akladi Nasreen himself ,who immediately stripped the Vizier Iznobettur of his falsely gained honours, and ensured that he would never become Sultan instead of the Sultan. Nasreen instructed his bard, Orfeo, to write a proper tale of the relief of Plavigorica, and the names of ibn Gudruk and Emir Sulemain were restored to honour across Araby, and in hostelries across the Old World.

The battle before the walls

I hadn't planned the darker turn in the story in June, so this is my attempt to make amends.  I don't yet know how Orfeo's story ends in Storm Warriors, but I'm hoping he eventually gets to go home.

Without so much as a phone call to Infantino, I bent the OWAC rules by writing the missing Araby Ally contingent list to fit what I had collected... I hope that is in the Oldhammer spirit if maybe not quite the intention of the OWAC guidance.

I meant to update the list as the months went by, but struggled for time.  A lot of inspiration (and no little plagiarism) came from dieselmonkey who put together this brilliant force: Port Imperiale: Araby project: The Army of the Great Sultan (so far!) 

Here's my list! 



The banner at the end reads "law" and has two crescent moons, to reflect the two moons of the Warhammer World.   I've been careful not to copy any historic images but I've used terms like law, truth, and honour, on banners and shields, for a couple of reasons:

  • Because these are not villains (I thought about a law alignment, but neutral seemed a big enough step from the evil 1988 Talisman Saracen). 
  • As a tribute to the old Arcane Armorial shield transfers (decals) that you can see in photos in the Third Edition rulebook brightly espousing such virtues all over the place. 



Here is the whole force together:


Mouldy dark-eyebrowed Mark with his mighty Arabyan ally contingent
(Doing this with a timer took a few takes!)

The final muster:

  • 10 Arabyan Guard with spears and shields 110pts
  • 1 Hashishin: 55pts
  • 10 Desert Archers:110 pts
  • 10 Araby Corsairs:198 pts
  • 2 Flying carpets ridden by fakirs 200 pts
  • Snake charmer: 125 pts
  • Contingent commander: Level 20 hero on camel:109pts
  • Contingent standard bearer: Level 5 hero on camel with magic standard: 83pts
  • Sorcerer: Level 15 wizard: 155pts
  • Djinn: 600pts
  • Imp: 1pt

Total:947pts

----

I have really enjoyed this my first OWAC, although I definitely skirted the minimums in terms of quantity of miniatures and quality of my paintwork. I found it more manageable than expected, despite a lot going on in my wider life, (and the scarce daylight in the Scottish winter).  I came up with the idea two years ago, at the end of OWAC 7, but I needed a whole18 months of preparation to source (and afford) the relevant miniatures. 

I have an idea for another OWAC theme, but it definitely won't be OWAC 10. It might even have to wait for OWAC12, in the grim darkness of the far future.  I am thinking of - but not promising - a half orc mercenary force; this time using only Citadel miniatures, many of which are pre-slotta.  

I want to end by saying a huge thank you to everyone for consistent  and, very kind, encouragement. It has been a such an honour to take part alongside all the great challengers who've done such great work.

It's been a rough first half of 2026 globally. Here's to tolerance and understanding in our homes, our communities, and our world.  Salam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog