Friday, November 3, 2017

Firthy's Slann

As the title notes I'm painting up a slann army for the challenge. I got into GW stuff around 1988 when I was introduced to white dwarf by a school friend. It wasn't my first foray into gaming though as I had been interested in Tolkien since 1986 when I stumbled across The Hobbit in the school library. My focus in the late 80s/early 90s wasn't really on WFB though - whilst it interested me I simply couldn't afford enough figures to play it even if I could have painted them up. Having said that I did collect a small force of Bretonnians in the early 90s along with a smattering of slann. I did play a bit of 40K rogue trader and heaps of first edition epic (space marine) at the time which was great fun. After that I moved onto blood bowl 3rd edition. In the late 90s my interest in gaming disappeared for some time as I focused on other things like university, partying and women.



Then in the early 2000s I discovered eBay and all the figures I couldn't afford to buy back in the day. That started off my collecting which I do to this day. One of the things I do regret doing was selling off my small collection of slann on eBay around 2004. Ten years later and the desire to collect them bit me and I then paid out a fair bit of cash to collect most of the slotta based slann figures that were produced in 1987. And this challenge has given me the impetus to paint them!

So what am I painting? Well my plan is to make sure I paint 200 points each month of the figures I have as I have enough to put together a 2000 point army and I'm going to try paint all the figures I have up during the next 6 months. And here they are:



I actually have a few extra figures coming to add to the army - two giant spiders and another 10 eru kin figures (these are the slann lookalikes that diehard minis do which are in the picture at the bottom). These figures will get me a nice sized force by the time they are all done.

Firthy

5 comments:

  1. "It's still the same old story, a fight for love and glory..." I see a theme here in all our stories. I couldn't afford to play the game when I were a nipper. I have been thinking about Slann off and on and the fact that we have two glorious Slann armies in this challenge just blows my mind. I can never find any for what I would consider a reasonable price. I just plumped for some Sci-Fi Eru-Kin from Diehard to go with my Colony 87 Space Slann merchant. I may have to rely on Diehard as the only viable option for Fantasy. Really looking forward to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully admit to paying an unreasonable price... ;)

      Delete
    2. Lol! I had that feeling reading the other posts knowing what my history with collecting is. Oh and like Clarence I admit to paying unreasonable prices for some of my slann. The option of the eru kin wasn’t one I was going to pass up though as they will make a really nice unit of bull slann

      Delete
  2. - In the late 90s my interest in gaming disappeared for some time as I focused on other things like university, partying and women. -

    Haven't we all...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the curse of the true collector to pay unreasonable prices unfortunately. Patience and dedication can only get you so far.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog