I have always loved these models from way back. I never picked them up because I was building my main army, Empire but I wanted to. A few months back I stumbled across them on eBay. Not a steal, but a fair deal I think. So when OWAC came along I thought great, time to get the DO's painted up.
These came painted. I've never stripped figures before, and I didn't want to start learning now. I'd be hard pressed enough to get them finished. So I was just going paint over the existing paint job. So ready to paint? Nope, I like to tackle the bases first.
I didn't like squeezing these big monsters on 40 by 40 bases. They have a body shape more like cavalry. I wanted to keep the same frontage, but longer. After some searching around, I ordered some 40x60mm from GW. This was just what I needed.
After getting the basing done I started on the models. Actually them being painted helps. I have a very hard time with a "blank canvas". It is much easier for me to pick a painting scheme if I'm doing a repaint. So I dove right in.
I have to say despite them being really big, they painted up quickly. Lots of great detail but not idiotic oversculpting.
Once I started painting, the scheme just came together on it's own. Or so it seemed. I tried to keep the same pallet as the Chaos Heroes I painted in November. I think they came out table worthy. Not great but ready to go on the table.
Done in the nick of time, next up, Harpies.