Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Brenton's Wood Elves - an introduction

Greetings from the Antipodes, friends.

I followed the first OWAC with great interest; there's nothing like a Tale of X Armies to get you inspired to paint things. Especially fun, weird older miniatures - Slann! Chaos Dwarves! Jes Goodwin elves! A lot of these miniatures were slightly older when I first got into the hobby (c. 4/5th edition), which just makes it neater.


I'd always been fond of wood elves. In 5th, I had a copy of their Warhammer Armies and spent a lot of time imagining elves who lived in the foothills of the Grey Mountains, racing chariots in the plains and soaring on warhawks and eagles in the mountains themselves. Ambushing dwarves. Tricking knights. Murdering treasure-hunters. I was always disappointed at the lack of a real wild edge in their rules. Light cavalry and ranks of archers were cool, and Great Eagles are awesome, but where were the Beorn-like shapechangers? Or falconers! Skaw was there, sure, but him alone?



Warhammer Armies, p. 134

I learned about the third edition of the wood elves, and that's where everything I wanted was! But the culture of late-90s Australian gaming was that old editions were dead, buried and gone forever. We had to play the new editions, and the newer ones. (Plus, this is well before eBay!) This constant cycle meant that my Empire army got bloated on cheap plastics, the Halflings went into indefinite storage, and I sold my Kislev horse archers (like a fool!). By the time of 8th edition, I was barely in the hobby and then the End Times happened and, well.


But the story ends not there! For lo! a great light shone upon the earth and a voice in the heavens whispered, and what it whispered was this: "Screw the dang editions, just paint cool stuff." And the name of the voice was Oldhammer.


Anyway, so recently I've been collecting a bunch of wood elves! I vaguely wanted to do something I called 'elves with axes', but some of the wardancer miniatures have neat things like claws, or javelins, or weird armour with circles of steel sewn onto leather, so I've branched out.



Fantasy Warlord, p.95

I have a List and a Plan for what I'll build, which unfortunately includes Melnibonean cavalry (not exactly available down the shops), and a lot of the great sculpts we know and love. Thanks to the trading communities and being a bit over-eager on eBay, I've managed to get pretty fair underway. I was hoping to use the OWAC as a means to get started on the project - and here we are! Lucky me! (Less lucky for you, as I talk too much.)



1300 points of elven goodness
Picking out the specifics of what I wanted to paint for the challenge was a little tricky. For one thing, half my beastpacks aren't actually legal units, and part of the challenge is to build a legal army. I only have one bear! One cat! But then again, I only have 29 archers! Troubling. Luckily, the Lords of the Challenge have accepted that you can be slightly under the legal minimum (eg, 30 archers), as those were designed for 3000 points. Okay. But still, let's aim for as legal as possible. The Warhammer Armies guidelines are there, might as well use 'em.
  • Level 10 Hero + shield + light armour - 91
  • Level 10 Hero + shield + light armour - 91
  • Level 5 Hero + battle standard - 98
  • 29 archers - 319
  • 5 glade runners - 80
  • 16 wardancers - 320
  • Beastmaster + 4 boars - 37
  • Zoat allied contingent commander, level 15 wizard - 275
That's about 1300ish points, of which 756 points is rank-and-file. I've split it up into monthly groups that will hopefully work to allow me six months of 200-point groups, with an easy month (a single zoat!) if I need a break, and a month I can drop if I need to mulligan, while still meeting 1000 points.

It looks like this:

Warhammer Regiments archers, led by a metal figure
Month 1 - 209
  • 19 archers - 209
These do not have a leader yet. Oh no! For now, Aenur shall serve
Glade Runners:
A mix of Morley's waywatchers and other ranger-y sculpts


Month 2 - 201
  • 10 archers - 110
  • 5 glade runners - 80
  • Aenur, the Sword of Twilight (as a unit leader - 11 points)
On the left, Aenur. On the right, Kaia Stormwitch as a battle standard bearer
Six wardancers
Month 3 - 218
  • Battle standard bearer - 98
  • 6 wardancers - 120
The next six wardancers
I want to use this hero as a champion for a unit of spearmen... but can't decide which one.
So, let's paint both!

Month 4 - 211
  • 10 Hero - 91
  • 6 wardancers - 120


Zoats are totally underrated
Month 5 - 275
  • Zoat
My last four wardancers... for now
Piggies and their buff mate

Month 6/Mulligan-able - 208
  • 10 Hero - 91
  • 4 wardancers - 80
  • Beastmaster - 13
  • 4 boars - 24
That's it! It is quite a bit of painting, but probably a lot less than some of my companions on this journey. Elves are quite expensive - the wardancers are 20 points a model, and that's without equipment. Then again, I am taking a zoat. Friends, if you think the Zoat Month is cheating, sound off in the comments and I'll paint some more beasts that month as well.

I'm excited! I'm keen! Just one question: how do you paint forest green?

oh no

I have a feeling I need to get more green paints...

12 comments:

  1. I love the Zoat addition. I want to add a small group of Zoat allies to my Wood Elves at some point.

    Great selection of miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more zoats to come, but for now I'm focusing on elveses.

      Delete
  2. Good stuff. I like the mix of metals and regiments plastics. No shame in the Zoat. Half the people here are doing Chaos, which is like 5 models for 3000 points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was originally planning on metal archers but stumbled into a pile of the Regiments guys.

      Delete
  3. This should be an interesting army to watch develop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zoat? Cool stuff! Really looking forward to seeing your army as it grows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great theme for a project. Looking forward to this one. Never painted Oldhammer plastics before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They paint up pretty well, actually - there's a bit of mould lining and the hair detail is a bit odd, but for the most part, it's pretty good.

      Delete

Search This Blog