Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Qrab's Empire: Reiksgard (228 points)

My contribution to the first month of the second Old World Army Challenge consists of the Empire's elite infantry unit, 11 Reiksgard who are joined by a Level 10 Hero. Combined, the unit and hero total 228 points.

Over the summer, as I prepared for the second Challenge, I spent a fair amount of time looking through my collection. I've acquired a reasonable amount of the MM65 Marauder Reiksguard and initially considered painting them, but they're just so big that they're difficult to rank up on 20mm bases. Ultimately I decided to select for this unit a handful of models I had originally painted back in the 80s. Those classic models were supplemented with command models from the mid 90s as well as a Marauder Empire Ogre I had picked up somewhere along the way (I'd really like to get more, but the prices are more than I'm willing to spend). Stripped of the old paint jobs and cleaned of mold lines I didn't bother with back in the 80s, the unit is an eclectic mix of characters, which I think is fitting for an elite unit. 

As I started working on the shields, I decided to paint the right side in the colors of Altdorf (red and blue) and paint the left side with different colors to reflect the province from which each individual originated.

Here's a photo of the entire unit.

Empire Reiksgard - +2 Shock Elites.
Because some of the models in the rear ranks are obscured, here are some photos of the individual models. Starting with the unit leader, Sir Kit Breaker from the 1986 Paladins range. For the purposes of the Challenge, he is a Level 10 Hero with heavy armor and shield (59 points). The colors on Baronen Breaker's shield indicate he is from Reikland.

Baronen Sir Kit Breaker, Leader of the Reiksgard.
Next up are two of the Reiksguard command models from the mid 90s.

Reiksgard Musician.


Reiksgard Standard Bearer (banner to be painted later).
Rounding out the front rank is Moritorus, a model from the 1984 Lords of Battle/Fighter range. This guy has a very dynamic pose making him difficult to photograph. He's also got snake motifs on his armor, which is unusual. The colors on Moritorius' shield indicates he's from Middenland.

Moritorus - front side.


Moritorus - back side.

In the second rank is Sir Crispen of Talabheim, released as part of the 1987 F2 Fighters range. 

Sir Crispen of Talabheim.
Also in the second rank is Otto Wolvesbane, another model from the Lords of Battle range. With his fur lined helmet and boots, I imagined Otto as hailing from the northern province of Ostermark, so the colors on his shield are maroon & yellow.

Otto Wolvesbane from Ostermark.
In the back rank we have a paladin based on the same model as Sir Kit Breaker, but with a helmetless head and a different sword arm. I couldn't find him on Stuff of Legends, so for now he is unnamed and carries a black shield.

A mysterious warrior.
The other member of the back rank is Anthony of Averland, also from the F2 Fighters range. This sculpt is a little dodgy; the massive wings on top of the helmet were a tricky to paint and even trickier to photograph!


Anthony of Averland.

The final model in the unit is my personal favorite of the MM41 Marauder Ogres, Ogre with Greatsword. On a 40mm base, he takes up the space of four models. There's a lot of detail packed into this what at first glance appears to be a simple sculpt.

Marauder Ogre - front side.


Marauder Ogre - back side.
So that's it for January. The models are all painted, but the weather isn't warm enough to seal them. rather than have a repeat disaster as I did with my Thugs last year, these models will remain unsealed until the weather is better.

Still trying to decide what to paint next month.

28 comments:

  1. Great looking figures; the shields and bases are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really wanted to get across the idea that each model is a unique character.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic entry! The choice of figures, the painting, the heraldy, just awesome! Those old Empire figures aged so well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, some of the sculpts ate a little rough, but they are all full of character.

      Delete
  3. Nice detailed brushwork, looks great together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice crew! Otto and Crispen are my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I’m not sure I could choose a favorite.

      Delete
  5. smashing first month entry. well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hopefully I can keep this pace and quality throughout the challenge.

      Delete
  6. Great choice of miniatures and painting job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Given the high quality of your work, this means a lot. I spent a fair amount of time referencing your thread on the Warhammer-empire site while working on this group.

      Delete
  7. Utterly gobsmackingly gorgeous mate! Even if I wasn't a nailed on Empire-lover these would be something special. Given that it's like Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Seeing your army last year was a real motivator for me this year.

      Delete
  8. They look great! I really like your take on the heraldry and the basing is cool. The Knight with No Name is a cool figure as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, thanks! At the beginning of the month I was at a loss for how to paint the shields, but inspiration struck one day. Fortunately they turned out alright.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic figure choices!! Many of these i would not have paired with the Reiksguard...but they ALL work great! well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Aside from the ogre & command, these figures reflect the models available to me back when 3rd edition came out. The Marauder MM 65 Reiksguard weren’t released until 93, so I had to make due with whatever heavily armored dudes I could get my hands on.

      Delete
  11. Brilliant work linking the heraldry back to the original release names. Fantastic unit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Researching the old models is an aspect of the hobby I really enjoy.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful painting! In regard to the MM ogres, it took me a while to find them all at reasonable prices. It just takes a lot of patience. I'd love to see you paint the full set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I keep my eye out for them, but eBay seems to be overrun with BiN sellers who have set prices well above what I’m willing to spend.

      Delete
  13. Great work. Love the model selection and the attention to detail. I wish I could use such a variety of figures to form a unit as I adds so much character. The shields pull the unit together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I spent a good amount of time thinking about the shields and I’m happy they turned out as well as they did.

      Delete

Search This Blog