Monday, December 17, 2018

Stuart's high elves - just like regular elves, but just a bit taller

When I first heard about the oldhammer facebook page (and subsequent trading page) the first thing i did was to try and recreate my wood elf army of old.
The fact was that I was an elf lover and everybody wanted a wood elf army like McVey when I starting out.

The odd thing this was every once in a while when you got a bunch of elves in an auction or a job lot you'd invariably end up with a few other elfs that looked a bit different. These chaps were high elves and in my early years everyone had a few of them and stuck them at the back of the unit to fill up the back rank or to be the first casualty.




As a result, I never saw a high elf army (let alone played against one)......not until 4th edition came out at least.

Fast forward a few years and I have big piles (of lead, not the other kind) of unpainted models and various army groupings that are safely stashed away somewhere.  As you do, when you have enough of the more common armies, you start to look at the more eclectic  bunch and think about hexagonal bases and high elves......well i did!

I decided to rummage through my wood elf bits and pieces and put a bid on some weird flowery elf type chaps on ebay.   The promise to myself was that there would only be a few of them and it didn't matter if i didn't win the auction.

Turns out, as usual, this swiftly developed into a small kilo of point eared chaps that had no organisation and cost very little money.....the perfect oldhammer army!

So despite me having no idea about army organisation, or having ever seen a painted army before, I present to you some 3rd edition high elfs that i have cobbled into a small force.





As stands, the force will be:


1 General, level 15 hero, light armour on a warhorse 136 points

1 level 5 wizard, mounted on a warhorse 84 points
5 Silver Helms    175 points
17 Kith, standard bearer and containing a Level 5 Kinthane with shield  211 points
9 Archers  126 points
9 Guards with shields, standard bearer and led by a level 5 wizard 208 points
1 Bolt thrower with 3 crew and light armour  60 points

Army total 1000 points

9 comments:

  1. Sweet mix of figures; you are right that we almost never see 3rd edition High Elves army. It's going to be the first of the OWAC, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good group of models. Looking forward to seeing them painted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man I can’t wait to see these painted! I am really looking forward to the Silverhelms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love High Elves and can't wait to see a 3rd Ed army made up of vintage lead! Top stuff! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... that’s a nice assemblage of lovely minis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually that is really cool. Most of my, unpainted, High Elves ane the monopose ad newer plastics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WoW!!!
    Beautiful minis!!!
    I Paint high elves 4th edición un this challenge!!!
    Good luck mate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 3rd edition high elves are as a cool as they are rare. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never seen a High elf army in the flesh. Lovely model selection. Best if luck :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog