Monday, June 3, 2019

Sam's Savage Orcs - The one where the savagery was so brutal we nearly didn't make it... oh and some Orcs (195 points)

So until last month things had been pretty savage with life, work and painting, but I managed. Then last month saw the arrival of a new addition to my family- another protege to instruct in the glorious ways of gaming and instinct level procrastination. I knew it was coming of course, but knowing a thing and experiencing a thing, even if it isn't a new experience, are two entirely different kettles of fish. And in my case the fish jumped out the window and the kettle ran off with all my paint pots, so all I was left with was crying baby and bags under my eyes so large they could fit a weeks shopping in them. Oh and I got hospitalised for a week and quarantined for 7 days...

So that is to say, finding time to paint over the last few months has been bloody hard. So much so that I only finally managed to pick a paintbrush with 2 days of the months challenge left to go...

Well now the preface is done, I'm sure you can imagine I went the way of points expensive models. Ones that thankfully already had a few licks of paint from the previous months pre-arrival painting endeavours, aka the "hmmm, guess I'm taking a mulligan" month.

Grog Mindbenda -  1 x Savage Orc Shaman Champion on War Boar (130pts)

1 x Savage Orc Boar Boy Musician (50pts)

1 x Snotling Base (15pts)

Total: 195 pts

(Yes, I know I'm 5 measly points short. I'm so sorry glorious Overlord... plz don't hurt me)



For Grog, my mounted shaman, I really wanted him to stand out, so I went with a scheme of black and white. That way he would have a relatively stark colour difference to the rest of the unit.


The musician is in the same scheme as the rest of the unit, so you can see the contrast.

Still need a bit of flock on the bases, but otherwise good to go

We're aavin' it!!!
For any snotling bases I make, I'm intending to make a mini diorama of sorts. Mostly for fun, but also because the models have so much character I always though it was a shame stuffing them onto the bases, like the seven to a base that's recommended in the rule books. Fewer is much better and lets their unique poses shine. An added bonus that its also cheaper.

So that's that, it leaves me with a bit of a marathon left for the final month; 15 Savage Orcs including a Champ, Shaman and standard (well, a marathon for me at least). Buuut, that's just the way it is. I'll go out with a bang or not at all.

Anyway, that's enough nonsense from me. I hope you all enjoyed and sorry I haven't been commenting much on all the other wonderful entries recently, been a bit occupied, but I'll amend that in the coming weeks.

Happy painting
Samuel

6 comments:

  1. Great! I especially love the snotling base- I know you can do it! Who needs sleep? This month was like 9 figures for you, and you thought it was easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more re: Snotling bases being mini dioramas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love a mushroom on a base :)
    Also agreed with the snotlings!
    Good luck with the Savage Orcs - we believe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the skin tone! Savage orcs are always so fascinating, but snotlings are great!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog