Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Tom's Dwarfs, Month Six (449 points)

Well, I write this at the eleventh hour on the Thirtieth of June.

This month has been mentally super stressful, for personal reasons.
Physically though, I've just had some cartilage removed from my knee which has laid me up a bit and, although I've kinda enjoyed my time off from work, I've not made the best painting use of it.

I started my months quota relatively late on the 19th, after languishing in a doldrum, so all in all I'm very pleased with my output!

Here's some before pics, as they were not in my original quote. You'll have to forgive that basecoat painted dude - I was too eager to get started!
They are pictured with models I've painted for the challenge - that's their 'timestamp' :)


Once I had painted these up, it turned out that I'd really enjoyed painting them and I'd be able to paint a few more in the allotted time, so here's their pic:


That gyrocopter was for if I was feeling particularly motivated and flash. Turns out I wasn't, so he sadly remains unpainted.

Everything else though, is painted and roughly based - however the banners are not done yet. And neither are all the movement trays. I think these can be deemed as non-essential, and so they can wait for tomorrow! (And, if not tomorrow, then the follow-up OWAC2 post which'll include a nice army shot).

It being late, I'll have to do my photo's tomorrow too, but you can take my word that my 200points for this month is done.

Actually, I'll take a rough photo now, for those of you who doubt, (although I guess there's no timestamp to be had):



Here we have 27 doughty warriors ready to protect the Hold. It includes Champion, a Hero, a Musician and a Standard Bearer, for a princely total of 449 points.

I always wanted to paint up a large unit in the Oldhammer tradition of using monopose plastics as the main bulk, and metals for the front line and here it is! For the record, I really prefer these plastic over the round comical looking ones that came out after these. The ones that look like this:



Anyhow, after a nights sleep, and gluing the tufts onto the bases, here are some pictures of the completed unit models:


The standard doughty dwarf!



The greater horned doughty dwarf!



I see here that I've forgotten to add shields to the metals which need them (like this dude on the left). They're done and on the painting table, but right now I will save the completed pic for the next instalment.


Twins, pictured above! The twins were the first metal models I painted for this unit. I had in my mind to paint an Anvil of Doom, but in the end I thought I'd best stick to the range. They reminded me, strangely, of the Anvil guards which is kinda fitting.


The unit hero pictured above with two of his chums. I really like this model - the hammer looks like it packs a hefty whack!


The champion, standard bearer and musician. I disliked painting the champ for some reason, so he's a bit rough... To be fair, I think they're all a little rushed, although I feel that the plastics came out much better than the metals! 
As an aside, you can really see the downside of taking photos outside, where the very slightly different light conditions create a not so uniform effect. Fingers crossed a friend will take some proper photos in a couple of days, which should look noticeably better.
.
.
.
A group shot!


I've the movement tray ready for painting, and I'm just waiting on some magnetic sheets to come in the post so that I can create some more movement trays for the war machine crews, and a spare tray so that I can re-arrange the warrior units into different weapon types.
Here in this unit, it was a conscious choice to paint as many metal dwarfs with hammers as I had left. I could mix these up with the other hammer holders in the Homestead dwarf unit, and so draft in a unit of Hammerers. Failing that, I guess the front rank can demonstrate the unit type instead...

To go with them is an EXTRA model, brought as a nice find on ebay after the start of the challenge. An iconic slayer champion - aaaand I'm choosing the least points value here, so he'll count as a Giant Slayer for the purpose of the OWAC round up next post.
He was painted a little while ago though.
Apologies in advance for the style range break.

Here's his before pic - pictured with some of last months Goblobber crew mid paint as a timestamp:




And done:



He costs 63 points. I liked painting him, but I do regret not putting blue war paint // tattoos on any of my slayers,. Never mind. I guess I could go back over them again if I really wanted to...

That's it for this month I'm afraid. I guess they all count as extras anyhow, as I'm well over the thousand mark :)

Here's a 'group shot' of all my 1000 points - a before and after, if you will.
I've done my best to lay the painted ones out exactly like they were when they were unpainted.

The only model I failed to do was the duplicate King Gorin. He was originally meant to be Iannick's tribute, but instead he received an injured fellow as;
1) I thought the injured dwarf would see more tabletop time as an objective or something and,
2) I really didn't like painting my own King Gorin!

Here's a link to the original, starting post: LINK

And here they all are painted up.


I've left out the many extra units/models/items I was fortunate enough to complete.
You'll have to tune in next time for the full model shot, count and breakdown!

Hopefully by then I'll have the banners done too, although I can't promise anything...

There are some cracking armies coming to completion in this OWAC, and I've felt privileged to be a part of it. I can't wait to see all their complete army shots!

Many thanks to Iannick for creating and running such a lovely challenge. I still have some units of Dwarfs left to paint (Bugmans Rangers, Prince Uthers Dragon Company, the rotund plastics, Thunderers, more crossbows, more war machines, Thrones, Anvils - LOADS! ...but I doubt they'll see any paint until next year. Right now I'm very much enthused on another army project, and hopefully these new GW contrast paints should be just the trick for them).

Here's some links as usual:

January:
130...Crossbowmen
54...Bolt Thrower
33...Warriors
LINK

February
202...Slayers
LINK

March
143...Warriors
110...Cannon
LINK

April
176...Warriors
209...Warriors
LINK

May
160...General
74...Stone Thrower
LINK

June
449...Warriors

TOTAL POINTS: 1740 (not including the extras - they'll be in the breakdown next time)

Cheers all!

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful! It is a great looking army, bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very surprised as to how much I painted in the end. The OWAC2 has been an excellent source of motivation :)

      Delete
  2. Good work that man! Completely agree with you on the superiority of those older Dwarven monopose sculpts over later versions. Perhaps you didn't like painting the unit champion as he looks like a bit of a Flash Harry compared to the rest of his doughty troop? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, yeah - Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work again, and I really do like those old plastic dwarfs. Definitely a solid basis for big regiments. In fact, they scream "oldhammer" because that boxed set was the only way many of my friends and I were able to afford full armies in our youth. The foundation of five armies.

    I also agree - I prefer the proportions & sculpts on the older dwarfs too.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog