Thursday, August 1, 2019

Down, Down to Goblin-Town; or, Dustin's Wrap-Up Post

Well, I did it. I actually finished an army, somehow keeping to a semi-regular painting schedule and even managing to play a few games along the way.

The obligatory "Warhammer Armies" pose. Bonus points for being taken in a hotel room where a game of 3rd edition had just been played.
The final army list:

Night Goblin General on Gigantic Spider - 103 points
Night Goblin Master Shaman - 159 points
24 Night Goblin Warriors with Boss, Big Boss, 3 Fanatics - 238 points
21 Night Goblin Stikkas with Big Boss, 2 Fanatics - 162 points
21 Night Goblin Stikkas with Big Boss, 2 Fanatics - 162 points
3 Stone Trolls - 195 points
Giant - 200 points

TOTAL: 1219 points

A hasty close-up of the assembled Night Goblin horde.

I managed to get in a couple of games of 3rd edition at Historicon with fellow OWACers Anthony Bo and Darren "Lopez" Stephens. In a rare display of greenskin cooperation, Anthony and I joined forces against Lopez's Dark Elves. We crushed the elves in our first game, but fell victim to infighting and panic in the second. My fanatics managed to cause plenty of casualties among the elves, and an almost equal amount among their own kind (sadly). It wasn't all doom and gloom, as Lunkh the Giant managed to show up sober in both games and killed a hydra in the first and a cockatrice in the second!

"Oi, yer wants annuver, do yer?"
Is an army ever really finished? I know I've got a weird number of points. I could pad the list out for 4th/5th edition and add some "Herohammer" magic items, along with a herd of Squigs and Squig Hoppers. I seem to be playing a lot of 3rd at the moment, so I might add some Orcs (I've got plenty of Ruglud's boyz waiting for paint) and a Lead Belcher. Regardless of what edition I play, I definitely want another big mob of gobbos, some wolf riders, more trolls, and possibly another giant. A horde of monsters is where it's at.

Thanks again to Iannick for organizing the challenge (I'm working on your mini, I promise) and to Blue in VT and airbornegrove26 for being my sounding boards throughout this whole thing. Now to get to painting more gobbos!


15 comments:

  1. Nice one - love the spider rider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Those Marauder spider riders are real gems. I've got to paint the shaman at some point.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pics, great army, and an excellent Oldhammer pose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang I missed the giant in the monthly updates, he is awesome. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That giant needs some “MVP” badges from those games we played. As Iannick said, bonus points for an all gobbo army

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really did keep those monsters in check, didn't he? Those were some great games.

      Delete
  5. This is a really impressive gobbo force in six months - all those low value troops plus a giant! Good work! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If not for the motivation of completing the challenge, there's a good chance this army would still be bare metal.

      Delete
  6. Mad respectz for doing goblins, I know how difficult it is!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this army! Great that your giant is "on the wagon" and showed up to fight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A brave man painting gobbos for a points based army challenge. :) Congratulations, and a great looking force. Good to see you got to use them in some OWAC gaming too! Good luck on the future gobbo painting... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're my boy Dustin! this is a wonderful addition to your ever growing fantasy force...something I wasn't sure we could convince you to do! yay!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog