Wednesday, February 26, 2020

AdamH’s Skaven – Make sure you have your sunglasses ready! (212 Points)

Back again yes-yes? I’m not sure how you keep getting past my rat guards… maybe you pay them more warpstone tokens than me? I will have to speak-words with them to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

I guess-suppose you want to see more of my strength? You are right to cower before my paws and pay tribute, although don’t think a furless monkey can garner my favour. But maybe I think of use for you yet.


Today you see some of my trusty… well as trusty as a Skaven can be… warriors. They know-well that my power will take them far… maybe too far…. Hmmm I think maybe a few will have to have accidents to make sure the others don’t get think-ideas…”


First of all I have a small update from last month. You may have seen that last month I painted the command group for my Plague Monks however at the time I didn’t give the standard bearer an actual banner as I wasn’t sure how I wanted them to look. However, this month I took a stab at one and after working on it a bit I came up with the below (the points for this model are not included this month though):


This was heavy watercolour paper roughly ripped to shape and then dyed using the classic tea staining method. After which I painted on the design and used inks to heavily stain the edges and make it look burnt/festering.

Next up we have… more monks! This is going to be a running theme in a Skaven army, lots of models of the same type month after month! That said I am going to try and mix them up each month so I am never painting too much of a single unit:



As mentioned above, for my own sanity I am going to be mixing the units each month rather than just painting 20+ of the same models/colours. With that said here is the start of the first(maybe only?) Clanrat Unit:



The toxic yellow colour was my way of trying to make the models stand out on the table as well as break up the monotony of brown that the army could easily become otherwise. If I do a second unit of Clanrats I will probably pick another bright colour that equally contrasts with brown.

Finally, because if I don’t put at least one high value model each month I would probably burn out trying to do 30+ rank and file I present… another Warpfire Thrower! I love these models, as well as their the fluff and their effect in game. I will probably paint a few more of these over the course of the challenge as I have another three of the models:


So this month’s entry is:

Plague Monks x10, Additional Hand Weapons [70]

Clanrats x10, (Inc. Standard and Musician) [72]

Warpfire Thrower [70]

Total – 212 points


Some of the other armies being put together this challenge are really quite inspiring, certainly the bar has been raised by some of the new competitors. I hope they can all keep that motivation and quality to the end of the challenge. Remember it is a marathon not a sprint! (I think I am telling myself that as much as anyone else)

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous models and painting, like always! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Skaven look great and I really like what you did with the bases for the models. Plus your banners look fantastic! Go Skaven go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing #teamskaven proud! The ranks are swelling quickly.
    I like the sickly shade of green you used for the Plague Monks - it's spot-on.
    The yellow was a brave choice and worked well - I completely agree on the need to break up the browns and having some splashes of colour in the army.
    The warp fire-thrower looks great too. It's just packed with details that you picked out well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy month! Great work, both the banners are ace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are awesome - great work! The banners look brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  6. These colours are so great on these. Really brill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice mix of figures and great painting. I really like the standard, and hose on the WFT. The group pic at the end really looks like a menacing force on its own!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great colors and paintings on some classic minis. Your work doesn't help me on preventing me to throw myself in the ratmen adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the colors of the different units and rust here and there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impressive stuff from Team Skaven this year! I'm loving the Toxic Yellow Clan Rats :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the standards and the clan rat color scheme too! Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog