Sunday, April 5, 2020

Paul's Border Princes -Month Three (428 pts)

Holy forking shirt balls... That's been quite a month hasn't it? After getting loads done in the first few days of March I then stalled completely until March 31st and got these finished pretty much on the stroke of midnight. I'm very jealous of everyone who seems to be getting loads of extra painting done as my all this pesky 'working from home' and 'home schooling' is seriously getting in the way of my hobby plans!

My force up until now has been pretty much exclusively missile based and I knew that I had to add some infantry, so it was the Battle Masters Halberdiers that were set marching for March! Ironmongery on a stick at the ready!


The character figure is a Lewis Collins sculpt and winner of the Oldhammer Sculpting Contest before he retired from private sculpting, it's now available from Ye Alchemist (although temporarily not accepting new orders until UK lock down is lifted) and has a wonderful Terry Pratchett/City Watch type feel to it. I really struggled to get decent pictures of him, apologies for the fingers and thumbs!


The other thing my Border Princes were lacking was Dorfs! Thundering loud Dorfs! Many of you will remember Blue in VTs Puff and Slash Imperial Dwarves from OWAC II and they served as part of the inspiration for including these Marauder Thunderers in my OWAC III force. I have to say I fell a bit in love with these sculpts, and sadly didn't leave myself enough time to do their faces and beards justice. Important lessons learned, as these will not be the last Dorfs I paint, that's for sure!



The Thunderers are also led by a Dwarf Hero. This is probably the mini I'm least happy with. He deserved a lot more care and attention and I may have to go back and tidy him up - not something I normally do with the OWAC I have to say, but I feel like he deserves a bit better. March was a bit of a killer though, and he might not be perfect but he is done, and that is more than he was last month.


The only extra OWAC painting I got done this month were some movement trays to make things a bit easier to manage, but they don't really count. The painting table is looking full for next month though!

We're at the halfway point so here is the army so far:

Month One

10 Human Archers -100 pts
10 Human Archers - 100 pts
9 Human Crossbowmen -90 pts

Total for the month = 290 pts

Month Two

Halfling Hero (Light Armour, Pistol,Handweapon) - 69 pts
Halfling Wizard - 56 pts
Halfling Halberdier Champion - 34 pts
Halfling Halberdier Musician - 13 pts
Halfling Hot-pot Catapult - 50 pts

Total for the month = 222 pts

Month Three

Human Hero (Light Armour, Flail) - 68 pts
11 Human Halberdiers inc. Standard Bearer (Light Armour, Shields, Halberd) - 120 pts
Dwarf Hero (Light Armour, Sword, Pistol) - 110 pts
10 Dwarf Thunderers (Light Armour, Hand Weapon, Handgun) - 130 pts

Total for the month = 428 pts



And here they all are together for the half way muster, plus the bonus Halfling Archers from month two, and the Road Marker scenery piece from month one.

Total so far = 940 pts


I'm quite chuffed with how these are coming along, but there is still a long way to go!

Wishing my fellow challengers well in these difficult times :)

5 comments:

  1. That's a lot of painting. Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moley, they're looking good. And also numerous - great midway army shot.
    Dwarfs ftw is what I say :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of painting, and they look great! I love the colors! I thought those halberdiers looked familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great effort for this month and it really builds up the army - looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the faces & beards on your dorfs look fine the way they are. In spite of your last minute scramble, you still got a lot done! I really like that boars head topper thingie (I know there's a proper term for is, but I can't remember) you added on the standard pole.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog