Monday, May 4, 2020

Graeme's Skaven Spearhead Force for April (210.5 points)

After the disease and pestilence had taken it's toll, it was time for the Skaven to throw their elite troops into the fray - to smash through the defender's line and make a gap for the following hordes to pour through....


I got off to a good start in April, getting a couple of Rat Ogres and a handler done quite quickly.




Rat Ogres and handler - 86.5 points
Two Rat Ogres, to help punch through the enemy lines, with a handler to keep them in check. I varied the colour of the Rat Ogre fur again this month - there's not many other options when there are just two poses from this generation to choose from.

Then I turned to a bit of cunning Skaven technology.



This is not the angle you want to view one of these from if you're fighting against them...


Jezzail Team - 39 points
A Jezzail team, to keep the enemy archer's heads' down and provide some much-needed missile support.

Then I moved onto the Black Skaven and the challenge really began. I love these model for all the detail, but that very same detail took an enormous amount of time to paint. So many layers of leather, scraps of plate mail, chain-mail, ragged clothes, coils of rope, pouches and bags, earrings(?!).... There's a lot of depth to the modelling as well, with details tucked in almost unreachable places. It almost broke me - I came very close to taking a Mulligan this month, but just about scraped in. I had been planning to to 15 of these in April, but didn't even get close. I may not do any more for  while to let my eyes recover from the strain....
At least the final result seems worth the effort.


1st rank of the Black Skaven


2nd rank of the Black Skaven

Black Skaven - 60 points
Eight Black Skaven - one of the few shock elites available to Skaven forces. Well armed and armoured with halberds and light armour. A whopping 7.5 points each!
Maybe the command group will make an appearance next month...



Offering to the Overlord - 25 points

A word of thanks to Iannick for the time and effort he puts into running this challenge, especially during these strange, stressful, and for some, very busy times.
The challenge has definitely been a great distraction for me, and I'm sure others will agree and add their appreciation.
Once I chose the colour of the cloak I suspected this would be designated the offering model. Plus, since it was Iannick's birthday month, it seemed suitable timing. Iannick, it will be winging its way towards you this week. Hope the cloak meets your approval :-)

All of April's force:


2 Rat Ogres and their handler - 86.5 points
8 Black Skaven - 60 points
Jezzailachis Team - 39 points
Offering - 25 points

Total for April: 210.5 points

Total for the army: 871.5 points (846.5 points, not including the offering)

Next month the work on building up my rank-and-file troops continues. Probably not Black Skaven, though... maybe the command group.
I did make a start on some Giant Rats in April, but these are such low points cost in 3rd Edition, I'll need something expensive to compensate.
The banners I was experimenting with last month didn't materialize, so I really want to add at least one.

Good luck to the other challengers! The armies are really taking shape now and starting to look amazing.

13 comments:

  1. Wow, no wonder they took ages - they look amazing! The jezzail is my favourite here though. I love the cork/stone bases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The cork bases actually turned out to be fairly straightforward to do, and help with lining up the Jezzail team, so a bonus on two counts! :-)

      Delete
  2. Ditto! the gun is my favorite too. How do you do so many difficult models so well? And for few points too! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lissanne! I definitely struggled with the more difficult models this month. Very glad I managed to scrape in and get them done to a standard I'm happy with. The low points is just the curse of the horde army... #teamskaven has been doing well, though!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I love the earthy tones. Great Job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Xin! I went for a more autumnal palette for these and it tuned out pretty well.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on not having to take a Mulligan! All the hard work paid off as those Black Skaven are fantastic (as is everything else too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really just scraped in this month. I love the models, but I'm not sure if this is going to be a big unit, when they are so tricky to paint... :-)

      Delete
  5. I love the offering mate!!! Extra points for the pink touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! #teamskaven will take all the valuable points they can get! ;-)

      Delete
  6. There's rats everywhere !!! those black skaven are seriously good. I really, really like what you've done with them. Army is going to look lush when its all done :-)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog