Tuesday, July 21, 2020

AdamH’s “rat” up

Get it? RAT up, sounds like wrap up?, No? OK I will get my coat…

Wow, what an adventure that was, originally when I got involved with OWAC last year our overlord was trying to gently push me towards taking Skaven as I don’t think at the time we had any/many Skaven entrants however honestly I didn’t think I could manage it. However after I successfully completed that challenge I was filled with false bravado and decided to do….. Chaos Dwarfs!

So yea, I went on a mission to obtain a 1,500pts of Chaos Dwarfs, many Ebay auctions and Facebook trades later I had a force, so I prepared the whole lot and by November I was ready to go. And then, I saw all of my Skaven lying around in a box, my first army and my original love and they looked up at me with those cute puppy dog(rat) eyes and so I rushed through preparing them all in less than a month.

I honestly didn’t think I would get to the end but as everyone said throughout, it is a challenge, it should be hard! Last year I had to really push myself into a routine of painting one hour each night however this year I had to stop myself after two hours each night (otherwise I wouldn’t get enough sleep), as it turns out I still really enjoy painting the rats and in fact I plan to keep painting them after the challenge ends.

Anyway, enough talk, time for pictures!










Finally, the picture no one is waiting for:


Full rundown of what I painted this challenge:

Plague Priest [73]
Warlord [90]

Plague Monks x21, Additional Hand Weapons (Inc. Standard and Musician) [159]

Warpfire Thrower x4 [280]

Clanrats x38, (Inc. Standard and Musician) [240]

Stormvermin x22, Halberds, Shields (Inc. Standard and Musician) [294]

Skvenslaves x25 (Inc. Musician) [65]

Gutter Runners x10, Additional Hand Weapons, Throwing Stars [140]

DOOMWHEEL!!!! [150]

TOTAL: 1491


Congratulations to all of my fellow challengers this year, regardless of if you finished or not hopefully you enjoyed your time painting and got more done than you would have without the challenge.

Now everyone’s attention will start looking towards next year’s challenge, there is a very good chance I will be going with another horde army however there may be quite a significant shift, stay tuned because I think next year is going to be big!

13 comments:

  1. Such a fantastic force Adam! Numerous but also so well painted. I love your comment about the OWAC challenge being...a challenge! That's the mindset!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great looking bunch of vermin! The light colors really worked well, and make them visible on the field instead of dark, especially the pale and glowing greens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A gorgeous army - congratulations! The banners are excellent and the painting style is enviable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice of colours and models. One of my favorite armies this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job :) COuld we get a photo of the skaven from the last OWAC with the new army? A big family pic of your two armies together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dat's a lot o'rats!! A lovely, feral feeling force. Love your plague monks 👌 I thought painting a bunch of orcs was a challenge.....hats off to you sir!! 🎩 Great army! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your Plague Monks are the best I have ever seen. The army looks great as a whole but I like the Monks the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to hear you're now hooked on Skaven and will be painting more. They look great. Really enjoyed watching this army get painted throughout the project and that's a great army (start of a bigger army..?) that you've got now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look absolutely boss dude, looking forwards to seeing them on the other side of the table with numerous beverages to properly keep us company

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome job on those Skaven models. That base you did with the Doomwheel is awesome and I may steal it if I ever get around to painting my own. Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely work on your horde! Well done, and congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Go #teamskaven!
    Congratulations on completing an awesome Skaven army!
    You managed to finish a really impressive amount of troops in the challenge. The differences in colour schemes between the units really help emphasize the influence of Clans in the army. And the Doom Wheel is a superb centre-point of the children of the Horned Rat's army!
    Cracking painting of the warpstone effects.
    Really glad we really managed to make this the year of the Rat! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a real acievement to be proud of - really evocative colour schemes, dark and manky yet colourful and eye catching. 2020 really was the year of the Skaven1 ;)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog