Tuesday, July 21, 2020

JamesG's Twilight of the Norse



This year's goal was to create a what-if start to a force of Norse for 4th edition using just the rulebook and Battle Bestiary.  Sticking to that idea was pretty straightforward, taking standard units and making slight thematic tweaks. The Giant became a Frost Giant, trolls were swapped for yetis, and anyone that could find something to stick to their helmets did so immediately: feathers, horns, corn cobs, doesn't matter.

Heroes

Model-wise, this force is all over the place.  Above/center is the general (Foundry viking), with a Reaper fig to the left (totally not Red Sonja) and a RAFM sculpt to the right. 

Spearmen

The rank and file plastics are Gripping Beast vikings, but they're led by some far more fantasy-leaning Foundry metal command models.  I can't say enough good things about how quick and easy the Gripping Beast figures are; this was my first time working with them and it was a chill Northern breeze.

Frost Giant

The Frost Giant sat on the sidelines throughout the challenge until I needed a no-rank-and-file month. Where he's 200 points, the idea was to move to him when the burnout started to set in, which helped quite a lot.  The giant model is from Ral Partha.  He may be half the height of contemporary giants, but he's a solid hunk of metal and I'll take that any day.

The army, ready to raid

A valkyrie hero on pegasus added a little bit more Wagnerian flair and I believe she was also from Ral.  Then we have the yetis; they were my first-ever attempt at painting Reaper Bones.  I learned a lot of new things there.  While they don't feel 'right' (i.e. I'm old and they aren't metal.) they did come out a lot better than I expected.  I'm hard pressed to think of a better way to get a unit of three buggers that size for $12 USD.

 All told it's a fun collection of figures, but not a competitive 4th ed force by any stretch of the imagination.  It probably took all of 10 minutes for Brennan and me to come up with the short list of Dwarf runes that would spell doom for these hapless barbarians.   If there was a codified 4th ed Norse list, though, I think I'd have a pretty good start on a painted army.

Final Points Tally
General (Lord): 100
Red Sonja (Hero) with three Yetis (Trolls): 260
Valkyrie (Hero) on Pegasus: 115
9 Spearmen with musician and hero: 160
14 Spearmen with command: 170
Frost Giant: 200

Army Total: 1,005 points

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a fine army! It is indeed a unique force, but you should force Brennan to face you using 3rd rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve been saying the same thing. You know slann vs Norse is a classic

      Delete
  2. This is so cool that you made a new army and did it well! Love the valkyries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted a Norse army. Congrats and well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Building your own unique army is flipping outstanding. Kudos sir, they look suitably cool 😎!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very cool (pun intended) army 👍 what makes it so is much, more than your great painting job (I love those yeti's), it's the proper oldhamnerishness behind the concept you set out with. A totally undefined army just 'created' 💪 I love it!! Well done 👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a wonderful army, sir!
    If you want to expand on the concept, there is a proper army list for 4th ed. in the Citadel Journal n 6-7-8.
    Would love to see some battle reports of your army in action!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are such good lads. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice army, and good to see a Norse project in the OWAC. I really like the diverse mix of figures too. That's a key part of my memories of the "oldhammer" years. I think it works especially well with the Norse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great mix of units to pull together a Norse theme!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unique and full of character - I love the eclectic mix of minis you've brought together here. It might not be balanced or 'competetive' but who the hell cares about that when it has this much narrative potential? Top stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog