Monday, July 20, 2020

Tom's Chaos Dwarfs 2984 points - Wrap Up

Woooooooooooooo! Yes!
All done and dusted - just glory shots to go.

I painted all models from an undercoat of GW Wraithbone from a rattle can, and primarily used those new fangled Contrast Paints.
It's a first for me, painting up an army undercoated white, but I wanted the result to be bold and bright. I like it and I'm going to continue with white undercoating. I kinda wish I'd done the same for my imperial dwarfs from last year...

Well - straight into it then :)

The General: Astragoth, High Priest Of Hashut
One of the first models I painted for the army, and one of the reasons I could paint more extras every month, as he’s so expensive point wise, that I could just submit him and be done for the month, whilst cracking on with models for the next month. I continued like that for the rest of the challenge: pretty much always having a completed 100 points for painting done before starting the next month...

As he was one of the first models, I was still playing around with the colour scheme, which is why the arrows on his hat are block colours, rather than the red/yellow fade which prevailed in the end.



Sorcerer with Lamassu
I love this model, and I’m very pleased with how it came out. I remember particularly liking the blue bobble on top of his hat :)



Lord, with Bull Taurus
(Two riders photographed here - the Krungbeast rider with the flag, and the guy I originally painted for the Taurus)

This followed the bull taurus' colour scheme. I was dreading painting the hero and the wings, but in the end they turned out ok. I used some milliput to fill in some gaps too, so it’s kinda a first for me to “sculpt” some fur between the wings and body.



Lord, with Krungbeast (stand in Bull Taurus)
I wish I’d painted the beast in  a slightly different paint scheme. The purple is too cold for my liking, so I think I should maybe have gone for orange into black, but kept the highlights roughly the same warm, light colour throughout... Nonetheless, he’s done and looks suitably imposing!



Sorcerer
There’s a sleeve trim which I kinda ignored, and if I was to paint this guy again, I’d probably try and paint the trim purple...



Lord
My favourite Choas Dwarf model, and I’m pretty pleased with the paint job. I chickened out of black lining the triangles on his hat. Might be a job for future me at some point.



Bull Centaurs
These have been an absolute joy to put together and paint, although I’m not quite sure why! They were all glued together and milliput added to smooth over the larger gaps. The torso was pinned in. Usually I dread prepping models to paint, but this time it was fine. I’ve one more sculpt to find, which in reality means two more models - for that even ranking yo...


Warriors
Loads of them! It took a little while to get into the rhythm of painting them, but there’s something about the old mono pose models which I really like (I remember as a kid I saw them as a nesessery evil and a chore). I’ve been thinking of painting a monopose orc and goblin army for the next challenge, although a Waaaargh in space is very alluring also.... 
I added the previously mentioned sorcerer to the front rank to square the unit off.


Blunderbusses 
I hated painting these for some reason. I think they spent a good four/five months just with a tiny bit of lacklustre paint on them... Naturally there's stil another rank or two to paint. I'll make it a personal challenge to get them done before the start of the next OWAC!




Hobgoblin Wolf Riders
These are all pinned into their wolves, and I'm sure I pinned one of the tails as well. I'm dreading trying to match the wolf colours on the next batch of riders (I've three more to add at a later date)


Hobgoblin Warriors
My gosh, these are expensive models to try and find! Fortunately though I brought the majority of these before this massive interest in them peaked, so in the end it's not so bad. Mind you, it's the reason there's two musicians as it was a 'lucky' ebay find. £10 for one rank and file is too steep for me...


Orc General
He's so chonky. All the little spikes and things made him a little intimidating, and I remember forcing myself not to think about colour scheme or order, and to just pick the brush up and start. I really like him :)



Orc Boys
Brilliant models. I've three more to add later... I think the war machine models work well in the unit, and the snotling is there for the stand in standard bearer/musician duties. Hard to pick a favorite out of these, but if you pushed me I'd say the second one in from the right, in the back rank.



Goblins
Yeah! My favourite from these is the guy far left, second rank in :)



Earthshaker Cannon
Again, one of the first models painted, so block colours on the arrows although the crew were painted much later.. I remember struggling for ages to paint the crew, so the paint job is a little rushed. I should also have made the shell bearers base the same length as the cannons base, but for some reason (probably haste), I didn't. Le sigh



Death Rocket
Again, machine done on the first month. It's still really hard to get a flat red colour 🤣



Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower
I liked doing this model and crew. The extra time painting the dags were well worth it.



War Machine Group Shot



Menagerie of Chaotic Beasts
All the beasts that accompany the army to war. I wanted to paint some models that were not chaos dwarfs, as a refresher. Most of these were painted later on in the challenge, and were painted with the aim of starting and finishing on the same day. The exception were the Jabberwock models, where I tried to paint them with a lot more care, and I'm really pleased how they came out. The terrorbirds were another highlight for me - being very quick to paint and also very striking.



Bob Ross
During the Lockdown I painted up this picture following Bob's guidance here: link
It's for backdrop purposes, although it was great fun painting this as a challenge with my partner, who also painted one.
Really, I need to buy some trees to complete the vibe, but you get the idea :) I'd really recommend it - doing a Bob Ross painting. It was great fun, and it was painted in just over an hour (65min).



Bob's version:


Army Shots

Never realised how hard it was to line up models for a good army shot. Bit crowded there in the middle and at the back; and a bit too open elsewhere, but it'll have to do!
I really have to make some movement trays at some point, but i am very thankful I've put a heavy layer of varnish on them :)

Here's some with the backdrop. I think some trees and bushes would really help, but...


Monsters



Greenskins

Chaos Dwarfs

All of them!

Obligatory Mug Shot

my partner said that she had - and I quote: 'never found me more attractive'. Flipping WIN

As ever, big thanks goes out to Iannick Martin, founder and benevolent Overlord of the Old World Army Challenge. 
I’d like to thank Chaos Dwarfs Online (link), especially Malorndk for redoing all the banners in high definition. Also, a lot of this army came from two lucky purchases - one from that there eBay, and the other all the way from Canada via Tim Wegner and the Middlehammer Trading Group on Facebook. Many thanks to him for an excellent deal.

So, there are plenty of models to add to this army. Not least, a unit of Hobgoblin Archers, some Sneaky Gits, a few more Wolf Riders, Black Or.. ahh.Wait. It’s  at least another army’s worth! I guess an army is never truly complete 🙃
Finally, many thanks go to you, the reader. If you’ve left a comment, then doubly so!

Massive congratulations to all the other participating OWACists, it's been very motivating seeing everyone's hard work taking shape (and motivation to paint is everything!).

Hopefully I'll see you all next year - let's hope it's at least a little bit more uneventful as 2020..!

Cheers!


Intro post
No models painted, but a pic of the unpainted planned models

January:
General
Rocket Launcher

February
Bull Centaurs
Lord on Bull Taurus

March
CD Warriors
Sorcerer on Lamassu
Bull Centaurs

April
Goblins
Orcs

May
Hobgoblin Warriors
Hobgoblin Wolf Riders
Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower
Jabberwocks
Troll
Goblin

June
Orc
Bull Centaur
CD Blunderbusses
CD Warriors
Terrorbirds
Chaotic Snek
Dread Unicorn
Owlbear
Basilisk
Ogre
Sorcerer
Hero riding Krungbeast (counts as great taurus)
...tribute

July - I painted a single blunderbuss to round off the unit if it has a command :)


Army Listing 
For the purpose of this: no extras (eg no additional armour), leaders are costed like regular rank and file, musicians and standards are double.
Percentages are rounded to the closest whole number
I realise this may be different to the monthly posts...shamone

Characters: 1169   //   39%
160   ...General (Astragoth model)
104+225   ...Hero on Taurus
104+225   ...Hero on Taurus (Krungbeast)
104   ...Hero (favourite sculpt)
59+200   ...Sorcerer on Lamassu
59   ...Sorcerer (on foot)
33   ...Orc Champion (general model)

Units: 1258   //   42%
328   ...Bull Centaurs x8
280   ...Chaos Dwarf Warriors x18 (full command)
238   ...Chaos Dwarf Warriors x15 (full command)
140   ...Chaos Dwarf Blunderbusses x10
70   ...Hobgoblin Wolf Riders x5 (standard and leader)
85   ...Hobgoblin Warriors x15 (full command)
77   ...Orcs x12 (full command)
40   ...Goblins x15 (standard and leader)

War Machines:  257   //   9%
140   ...Earthshaker Cannon
75   ...Death Rocket
42   ...Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower

Monsters: 300   //   10%
300   ...Cockatrice x2 (jabberwocks)

Allies: 0
0

TOTAL: 2984

8 comments:

  1. You really can churn them out! Another great army, superbly painted, that basing really ties it all together, well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! What a lot of beautiful models, beautifully painted. Congratulations, lovely army!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phenomenal work. I'm incredibly jealous, but it's still phenomenal work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing colours! Your minis really pop out. Amazed how you've amassed so much, to such a high standard and in such a short period of time! Well done 😀👏

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great army. You completely flipped my former opinion of the Big Hats. Not sure I'd do one myself, but your army looks amazing. I love the painting.

    Great Bob Ross background, too. You've also sold me on the idea of trying one of those. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was super impressed each month looking at your work. Hands down one of my favorite armies to follow over the many months of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome colors and an awesome army! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Truly impressive stuff! So much to love here - I particularly like the focus on Greenskins this year, and how you've got them looking like they belong to the Chaos Dwarf force... but those beasts! Just. Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog