Thursday, December 10, 2020

goblinpaladin's Squats - an Introduction

They survived for millennia cut off from the Imperium and assailed from all sides.
    - Leman Russ, Meditations on Imperial Command, Book XVI

abhuman anarchy


Hello, mates. I'm back for another round. Still sticking with short chaps with beards, but this time their body type more closely resembles mine.* Also: they have laser guns.

I already have a pretty significant mass of squats. They were my favourite army in the Codex Imperialis in the second edition of Warhammer 40,000... except by then they had already all but ceased to exist, so I never owned one. This was until a couple of years ago when I bought a trike on eBay in a fit of bad mood shopping.** That triggered an obsession which, well. Getting all this lead painted is what Old World Army Challenges are for, right?

Alright, so you can see the pile above. What does this shake out to, in terms of lunar timecycle commitments (sidereal time)?

Brotherhood Squad (8) + two (2) engineers

First up, the easiest: ten models of infantry. Painting this squad of eight will bring me to six infantry squads in my Brotherhood, which lets me make two Rogue Trader-era lists. Five of these are from old school-style sculptor Inso, while two (the leader and the armless fellow) are classic Citadel sculpts; the last is from fellow Australian Wereweevil Miniatures to round out the squad.

Squat squads are eight strong, so I'll also paint two guild engineers. The mohawk fellow at the back is another Inso sculpt, while the resin chap at the front is from Victoria Miniatures.

Five (5) Guilders on bikes

Five guild bikers. Classic Citadel sculpts, these are probably going to be a pain to paint, but least they count as two models each. The main issue here is that I don't have access to the bases I want to finish them on - Games Workshop is sold out, and my other sources aren't helpful. Hopefully I can resolve this before winding up on a field of bones!

The lasguns are weirdly not kosher in the Compendium list, which gives bikers two laspistols and the entire squad can be equipped with an additional weird pistol from a list or twin sawn-off shotguns. But I like the sculpts, so bugger it.

Three (3) Guilders on bikes and two (2) Guild trikes

Guild bike squads are also eight strong, so the next three get bumped to a successive month. That counts as six models, so a couple two-man trikes should round us up to an even ten models. This includes that first trike I bought!

Five (5) Guilders on bikes

A second Guild bike squad, or the start of one, anyhow.*** These are also new sculpts, from a recent Macrocosm Miniatures kickerstart, designed by Bob Olley and Alessio Cisbani. Can't get much older school.

Guildmasters and Living Ancestors

For the leader month, I'm going to try and cover several leaders. I like the new approach of going all-out on a leader model in principle - but I don't know that I have the confidence to a single extremely awesome miniature. Putting these out in front of you at least gives me the option of demonstrating that quantity has a quality all its own.

Warlord and four (4) hearthguard + Red Box

Wild card month gives me some options. I'm leaning towards this Warlord and his hearthguard buddies to give my Brotherhood a leadership option, but I also have some crazy stuff in the unpainted crate. I could also paint what's in the box - it's a very modern sculpt, but it is in the Compendium army list.... technically.****

For now, this is what I'm showing you. I'll decide on the month!

SLAM SECTOR

With the bike squads starting at 555 points for eight dwarfs, I'm not worried about hitting the 1,000 points mark. The list of miniatures above goes over the 2,000 points mark and captures an entire Engineers Guild Expeditionary Force*****  (plus foot-slogging friends). It should be fun!

Oh, one last thing...

Iannick fitz Martin, officer of the Red Templars (unbased)

Here presented: Iannick fitz Martin, founder of the Monastery Between the Rivers, Member-Extraordinary of the Order of the Withered Astral Cormorant; elected Imperator Agro Ossa by acclaim of the peers; he who commanded two Crusadês Barbaröss from the field, served as Quartermaster-Herald for a third, and has proclaimed the Fourth (yea: the greatest such yet); Captain and Officer of the Emperor's Red Templars, His Crimson Fist in the Stars.

Let's go, lads.

* Except that I can't grow a beard. I don't want to talk about it.
** I do not recommend this if you care about your credit card balance.
*** More are coming. They might get added in! Watch this space.
**** Of course, in the army list a Techpriest is worth 10 points and has 1 Wound. Scale creep, baby!
***** A list that probably nobody actually tried to run in Rogue Trader, given how weird the vehicle rules are.

11 comments:

  1. TRIKES! That's a lot of squats! :) amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niiiiice. Great offering, he's gonna fit right in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hopefully! can't wait to see him with your others

      Delete
  3. who doesn't love Squats!??!?! nice group you've got there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, Stuntie bikers! This will be a cool army!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man. Hopefully I can pull it all together.

      Delete
  5. Bikes, trikes, and more bikes! Looks like another fun project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to be a challenge, but that's why there are four words in the blog title. I'm really keen on your Eldar though!

      Delete

Search This Blog