Monday, January 25, 2021

Quin’s Troglodytes of the Black Marsh - (430 points)

Rank & File Month 1


An arrow flies through the thick swamp air before it punctures the scales of a lizard. Quickly the reptile scurries from his pool and into the foliage, vigorously and silently Soliana and Alluin track their prey. As the pair continue the tracks lead to a tiny hole within a large mossy stone. Unable to continue around the rock, the pair climb over, and on the other side the trail of blood continued into the foliage. Deep inside the jungle, the smell fills their lungs, the scent of death; an ancient rot. Unable to see the trail, the duo regretfully decide to continue on carefully. Soliana and Alluin came to Lustria to learn more about the Slann culture, however they have been here for 3 weeks and still haven’t even seen architecture of the Slann. The soft mud turns to bone as their feet crush down. They stop to look, and by the time they knew they were standing on the remains of previous explorers, Soliana was halfway down the throat of the loathsome troglodyte. With this sudden turn of fate the hunter becomes the hunted and Alluin begins to run into the dense foliage. The great lizard Pothoc emerges from his putrid den and pulls back the string of his enormous steel bow, letting forth a bolt more similar to that of a ballista than a simple bow. With all the wrath of the brood culminated in the missile, the blow penetrates and simultaneously shatters the skull of Alluin. All the while the wounded lizard watched on, his eyes displaying a wicked glee as his hunters were devoured.





This is my first rank and file month and I painted this small unit of troglodytes equipped with two handed weapons, led by the voracious Pothoc, a level 15 Troglodyte giving me a total of 430 points this month. I also started my first unit of lizardmen, but am unlikely to finish them this month, so I’ll add them next time, until then cheers!

-5 troglodytes with two handed weapons 44 points each (220 points)

-Level 15 troglodyte hero w/bow 210 points

20 comments:

  1. Swamp things! Well done on the bases - are they resin or a gloss varnish please? I'm a fan of that green/blue spot colour, it looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used coats of modpodge with a top layer of Woodland Scenics Water Effect — the blue is/was unintentional result of the moss. I’m assuming it was dyed at some point (I didn’t dry it myself)

      Delete
  2. I like the use of what looks like one's muddy backyard as murky jungle backdrop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see one of these photo'd in a black room with a diffused light source so it's easy to see the neat details on the bases and the great paint jobs :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I’ll make sure to include some photos like that in the next blog post!

      Delete
  3. Great work on the bases, the skellies underneath are a nice touch.

    I also always like a good story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You’re in luck, as I’ve got a few more bones & stories to come.

      Delete
  4. Ah, a chap after my own heart, Troglodytes with two handed heavy weapons, excellent for mincing up most opposition and not running away. Looking good sir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was surprised to see someone else amass these Tom Meier sculpts, I’m excited to lead them on their first blood feast.

      Delete
  5. Nice and gribbly! Love the swamp basing too. Must get round to painting mine some time - some of my favourite Tom Meier miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd love to see them if you do, some lovely models! :)

      Delete
  6. Bases are so cool, fit perfectly with the miniatures...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice start to the challenge. These are some of my favorite old figures, but I've never been able to paint them well. Your army is going to be one of my favorites to watch this year!

    Are they photographed in an actual marsh, too??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Close enough ;) my front yard looks like this most days...

      Delete
  8. They directly come from the swamp !! Can't wait to see the others :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choice of colours and those bases look super, and really set the atmosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great old range not often seen painted. The bases are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog