Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Byron's The Folks in charge of Scorched Pass (429 points)


Leader Month

For this month I made a mistake and painted too many miniatures! Apparently we are not to paint rank and file minis the same month that we do our general of our army model. So I will have many models ready for next month. 

First off we have Kin'Lath, the Warden of Scorched Pass [Level 20 Dark Elf Hero, 171 Points] 

He has been trying to cultivate the epithet "Ratkiller" though, it should be noted, none of the others could say the honorific with a straight face. In fact, his putative daring-do and fearsome prowess was found lacking in battle with the Skaven. (He died facing the enemy general without killing a single rat in personal combat! When it happens two games in a row he can't blame the dice, as Kin'Lath is wont to do.)





Next is Helkate Kithbane [Level 15 Dark Elf Wizard, 203 Points] - though most of her magic gets drained communing with the dead and maintaining relationships with harpies she rarely has any energy left for battle. [binding an ethereal and chaotic host requires all of her magic points]
 

This is a male elf mage that I have converted into a female dark elf mage. She got her chin and nose filed down, a faceplate/headdress, and an evil skull added to her staff.  


Finally, there is the command group Kin'Lath's slashers. [Dark Elf warrior leader, musician, and standard bearer: 55 Points.] Despite their sobriquet, Kin'Lath worries that he'd never hear the end of it if he lost that funky old ensign of theirs to some goblins just before he retired. In recent skirmishes, (I have already played a few of games with my force) these troops have proven unreliable, so the possibility of losing their standard to even the slightest of foes is a begrudging inevitability that Kin'Lath dreads. Despite leading them personally, Kin'Lath always pins the blame squarely on these troops. 




All of the shield runes are taken from the margins of the 4th ed. dark elf army book.

 
His sword was miscast so I had to sculpt him a new one. 





Grand total of 429 Points for January. 

18 comments:

  1. I really love the shields and the colour scheme, great start!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all that with the polls and all, the colors look great! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was pretty worried about the internet's choices. I thought the snakebite leather might have been a bit much, but I think it was a good compliment to the other colors.

      Delete
  3. Really good! I like the colour scheme - the red and turquoise work really well together. Lovely shields!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see GW's second edition, Mengil Manhide's Dark Elves figures being put to use. I also really enjoyed the write-up given their back-story - "Kin'Lath always pins the blame squarely on these troops", wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I always wonder how hokey my army fiction might come across, but it's good to know it is well received.

      Delete
  5. Very nice! I love the color scheme and shields.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get the impression Kin'Lath lives in his own world a lot of the time, yeah?

    Seconding, or thirding, every remark about the shields: lovely rich colour on those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) I had to put a bit of thought into how to get the most out of Incubi darkness. For the shade tone I added a dark reddish brown, this gave it more depth than adding black or navy blue. I've heard that shadows tend more toward muted red than black as lower frequency colors come through better from shadows. And the red, is the foundry triad for Scarlet.

      glad you appreciated my characterization of Kin'Lath :)

      Delete
  7. These are a delight, Byron. They've come out so well, despite the random colour choices, and the added background material is ace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the vainglorious Warden and great work on the sorceress' conversion! I'll add my compliments on the shields to the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sorcerer conversion is so nice. And the color scheme is going to work really well as soon as you finish more miniatures of the army.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice start to the challenge. I like that modified mage, and those shields are really cool. Visually striking for both the colors and the clean linework!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The modifications are just beginning :) Next month I'm doing a baggage train. Nearly all the villagers will be modded to be evil. Plus a handmade baggage cart.

      Delete
  11. Your shields are glorious... I love them. Plus you used this lovely color I loved in my childhood "deadly night shade". You made 100 points :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great colour scheme! Those shields are super - they look so consistent and crisp. Top work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything is great, from the subtle conversion to the lovely shields - well done.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog