Monday, March 22, 2021

All I Can See Is Red, Red, Red... - Jon's "Bad Moons" (184 points)

Rank & File Month 3: 186 points

Running Total: 614 of 1000 points

So I know I said it'd be Goffs, but the Blood Axes were chewing a hole in my head. I knew the project wouldn't proceed until I knew what I was going to do with them, so that needed working out quick sharp and pronto fashion.

When in doubt, go back to the source. I consulted Rogue Trader's definitive 'Ere We Go in search of Blood Axe colours contemporary with these figures.


This cheeky little number suggested a nice deep red for the ribbed flak armour, and the camo pattern saved for the trouser regions and sleeves. Combine that with a couple of the pattern examples from the second edition Codex - I was particularly taken with the purple splotch on orange combo, and the original title for this post was going to be "Red, White and Blue", so white strides with blue slashes seemed ideal for the other lot. And no trim, I've decided; I need a break from that nonsense and I'm changing up the composition anyway. 

I also changed my brushes, and lord what a difference it makes! The unreliable W&Ns are relegated to primer and ink duty (clutch not your pearls!) and I've invested in some new Pro Arte jobs, one squirrel and one sable. The squirrel is a bit loose but ideal for blocking and basecoat; the sable comes out for tidying up and detail work. Even if the results aren't much better, the process is much more enjoyable.

Not at all sure about the camo pattern; I think it's blobbed a bit and I'm not quite sure why. Not sure about the Typhus Corrosion on the heavy stubber and the Boss' shoulder pads either.

I skipped both of those not-sure parts on the second batch and I think I like them slightly more.

Boom. 

Blood Axes, baby. Two mobs of five, heavy stubber, Nob with 'eavy armour, bolters all round. Plus an excuse to paint the Land Raider an attractive shade of go-faster crimson when I get there. 

I may have daubed out a bit too much gunmetal paint, so... thought I'd make a start.

I also have a few more spare Orks who I've decided to doll up and throw in to the mix here; behold, a Blood Axe Big Boss and some Skarboyz for my Goff mob (which also saves me having to play the wild card by taking that mob over ten models: result!)


But most importantly: I have had a jolly nice time with these. Aren't you pleased?

8 comments:

  1. Well done - a brush upgrade is always like a ... liberating ... experience. +1 motivations! More power to your paintbrush :) Kudos for giving the camo a shot, you're a braver man than me! I see what you mean about the typhus corrosion - it's very subtle, and I think it looks just fine without although I think the 'eavy weapon could do with a splash of colour (but that might well just be me going on a 'paint everything mad colours' spree 😂)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. The banding on the ammo drums and the various worky bits are crying out to be picked out in something, and if I have the time and inclination before the final beauty shot I'll do a bit more work on those.

      It's funny, but I don't think I've painted many heavy weapons: the infantry in my various Chaos Space Marine armies have mostly had plasma or melta guns of a rifle kind, and my Necrons of course don't have the option. Scaling up the usual "just paint it shiny!" approach hasn't quite done the business here. You learn something new every day!

      Delete
  2. Nice, makes me happy when the challenge works and people enjoy the painting, or at least the results! I'm looking forward to that land raider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I, it's been kicking around for long enough. Now that I've decided what colour to paint the armour it should fly by as well. We'll just have to see if I'm feeling brave enough to try the camo on those big, open, unforgiving flanks...

      Delete
  3. I also can't wait to see the land raider in crimson glory! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done. They will enjoy riding into battle in style next month with that Land Raider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After careful reflection (and evaporation of gumption) I've decided to kick the Land Raider down the track and finish off with it. As the biggest and gnarliest piece in the army I think it'll be a nice reward for doing all those little oiks.

      Delete
  5. Hooray! They look great and good to hear you're not pulling your hair out with them anymore!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog