Wednesday, June 30, 2021

AdamH's Tyranids - If you got the money, honey, we got your disease (575 Points)

If you have ever followed one of my OWAC entries in the past you will know I always try and go out on a bang, well this entry is no different. I’m going to waffle a lot this month and show pictures of unpainted things so if you are not interested in any of that feel free to scroll down to the bright pictures at the bottom of this post.

You may have seen a small clue I left to this month’s entry back in my introduction post, and if you did, well done. This month is my biggest…

WILDCARD!

WAFFLE COMMENCE:

Back when I started planning this challenge it was always in my mind that I wanted to paint one of the original Armorcast Tyranid bio-tanks, so I went a searching around facebook groups to see if I could track one down and as you will see, ended up with more than I expected.

I managed to track down one of the original Malefactors, however the previous owner had converted it to a different pose. While I didn’t necessarily dislike the pose I wanted it to be as close to original as possible. So I started by stripping off the paint to unveil the previous work:


You can see that what they did was cut the arm and flip one of the pieces upside down to give it a different angle. They also cut both arms at the base again to change the angles:


So next I cut along the lines that were originally cut and removed as much of the glue as possible, this revealed that a bit of detail had been stripped away during the conversion:



I pinned the pieces back into their original poses and set about sculpting back the missing detail:



And when undercoated I think I managed to return it to the original pose fairly well don’t you think? Oh yea, also he came with a completely standard brother:


And two friends:

Spot the Termagant included for scale...

So yea, the purchase I made actually included one of each of the bio-tanks, and two of the Malefactors. A little more than I was planning to take on in the OWAC but I don’t like to turn down a challenge!

First up the two you have already seen, two Malefactors:



For those of you that are not in the know, these are the Tyranid troop transports, essentially bio-rhinos so having two of them is actually pretty useful in a list. They are also pretty cheap points-wise. They are not that much faster than the units they transport until they get to “fast” speed but they are nicely armoured so should help to deposit your gribblies into combat relatively unscathed.

Painting for these was done much in the same way as the rest of the army, with the same scheme only not quite as detailed. This is partially due to time restrictions (i.e. I would have never got them all done in time), and the relatively low level of detail on the actual sculpts. Never-the-less I think they look pretty striking and certainly fit in with the rest of the force.

The final missing piece when putting these together was the base. I knew I wanted to tie them into the rest of the army with more than just the colour scheme but no one made a base big enough. So 21st century technology to the rescue, and one trip to thingiverse later I had the 3d plans for regular sized oval bases and some quick edits and they were scaled to the right dimensions. Even so however they were so big they wouldn’t fit on my printing bed in one go so I had to split them in half, print two and then stick them together. I also made use of the extra space on the base to include some bigger foliage, again the 3d printer to the rescue and I printed some palm tree looking trunks. Again I think they look pretty decent and bring some nice verticality to an otherwise quite squat looking army.

Next up we have the Exocrine, basically a Rhino with a gun for a horn:


As expected, this is similar to a Basilisk only a little stronger. Same range and strength but an extra D6 damage and armour penetration and double the save modifier. Basically, it is a tank killer.

Same scheme and basing style as before, I guess the only new element would be the green to bone transition on the gun. Not sure if it fully works but could be worse I guess.

Something you may have noticed is the slime trail behind each of these models. I built up the base with hot glue to give the look of furrows being driven into the ground and then filled them with red ink and gloss varnish.

Finally, we have the Haruspex:


This chap is a bit of everything, a couple of different medium range weapons, one for troops another for tanks and a close combat weapon for chomping anything silly enough to get close.

I guess the main stand out point of this model is that I tried to carry over the NMM effect onto the claws that I have in other parts of the army. Not sure it works as well on such a big model but it certainly is striking so I don’t hate it.

So wrapping up, my points for this month are as follows:

 

UNIT

EXTRAS

#

TOTAL

Malefactor (80)

 

2

160

Exocrine (165)

 

1

165

Haruspex (250)

 

1

250

                   TOTAL

575

And that is it, challenge over (for me at least). When I started I wasn’t sure I would be able to get everything done, and as it turned out I actually managed to add a few additions. Everything looks really cohesive, which I am very proud about and I can’t wait to show you all the full shots next month. But until then I hope you have enjoyed seeing me paint this very red force this year and have enjoyed everyone else’s entries just as much as I have.

13 comments:

  1. Excellent job on so many Armorcast models so fast! It took me forever to do each of those, and I only have one of each! I love the metallic claws- Welcome to the Jungle, biosiblings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The amount of win here is out of scale. Every detail is a pleasure for the eyes, and the care you put in restoring the model is inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This year OWAC seems to be an armorcast monster parade! (and we, the unlucky ones are terribly jealous). This is beyond awesome, some of the best paintjob I've seen on those bio-titans. Amazing job recovering also the damaged one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much much and talent here !! That's a wonderful ending, bravo !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so awesome! I'm the original owner. My friend that sold them for me just shared this link with me. I'm glad you were able to undo the mod and repaint them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks for dropping by, glad you like what I did with them. Sorry for undoing your work though!

      Delete
  6. Wow - out with a bang indeed! So jealous of all those Armorcast gribblies! They look fabulous - very striking indeed. Not to detract from your beautiful painting but the slime trails are my favourite detail!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow. What a way to end the challenge! You outdid yourself this year

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flipping outstanding work. The stripping, remodelling, printing, painting, basing, and little details is off the hook. Inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are awesome!! Can’t wait to see these monsters with the rest of your Tyranids

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bring forth the dinnerplate army! Lovely stuff as usual

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, such a small effort for this month 😂 But seriously that is an amzingly productive month and the finished models are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I have no clue what these creatures are, but they sure look ace! Stunning paintjob as always!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog