Monday, January 31, 2022

Copper Oracle | 2. Rank and File Assault Squad (836 pts)

  The Fire Hawks took pride in their savage reputation, but even within their own,  the 8th Company was known for its bloodthirsty choler and eagerness for battle. On more than one occasion elements had been been censured for their habit of interpreting or ignoring orders to allow them to engage or pursue the foe and in one particular admonition they had been reminded that they were not World Eaters.  Captain Agni had responded;

'Only Worlds?! We are Eaters of Fire!'

- 'The Burning Chronicles, 8th Company Remembrances' 


For a new project, I have started this one about as organised and prepped as I could possibly be, all the figures based, assembled and undercoated along with a clear plan in my head of what to paint. 

I had even reset my painting table and hugely expanded on the inevitable front two inches of open space to paint as well as removing all my other WIPs to a safe distance out of sight to try and reduce distraction!


I decided to start off with the first of my Rank and File slots and took the Assault squad. As a unit they fit the particularly aggressive character of the Fire Hawks perfectly and I wanted to start of with the one of the big blocks while I still had New Year/new Project energy going!

I started by batch painting the unit with the base colours, this can be quite monotonous but I distract myself listening to Audiobooks (currently Horus Heresy/Big Finish) and its something I can dip in and out of as time allows just doing a colour at a time. For the later stages I tend to go back to a couple at a time to get the feel of the figures again and actually seeing figures getting finished helps the final push.


After a good start the batch painting was leaving me a little bored so I decided to start a couple of the characters for some variety. The Chaplain was equipped with a jump pack as well to support the Assault unit so it would be nice to have the whole lot done while the Medic was another one that was a little different. 

 


I ended up finishing the two characters quicker than I thought and started on my originally planned stretch goals, Dreadnought and Techmarine, but after starting the base colours I put them to one side to try and focus on actually finishing the unit


The Chaplains scheme is based on the Howling Griffons who are an Ultramarine successor chapter like the Fire Hawks (thought the Ultramarines have not confirmed the Fire Hawks claim...)


Chaplain Alarak



As with the Chaplain, I have based the Medics scheme on the Ultramarine pattern







Getting towards the end of January I felt quite confident in finishing the marines so looked at adding some more figures to the table. I couldn't decide on a scheme for the Dreadnought so put together some more marines to add to a Field Police Unit I had started at the end of last year for the army and I ran out of time to complete the Land speeder so will add this to February.
Chapter Badges and Standards I will add on as part of my Leader Month as I am waiting on decals


Field Police image from Rogue Trader rulebook



With five already painted, the other five would allow me to field them as a tactical unit and also gave me the paint scheme for my second Chaplain and a Rhino Transport


Chaplain Rhino paint scheme 


Chaplain Orloz





Field Police unit with Multi-Melta, Webber and duel Power Gloves for more Apprehension and Pacification than Eradication





Completed Assault squad





Fire Hawks force completed so far

 (including the five Field Police completed before the challenge begun)

Points so far:


1.  'The Fire Eaters' 8th Company, 2nd Squad

Assault Squad (10)

Flamer, Plasma pistol, Sergeant with Power sword and Bionic Leg, All with chainswords,  All with Jump packs = 282


2. 'Dominus'

Field Police Tactical Squad (10)

Melta-Gun, Web Gun, Sergeant with two Power Gloves. All with Bolt Pistols = 272 (136pts for this challenge, as half were painted)

(I have counted the Field Police as a tactical squad to allow them access to the heavy weapons options)


3. Chaplain Alarak

Champion, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword. Jump Pack = 23


4. Chaplain Orloz

Champion, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword = 21

Rhino Transport  = 373 points


5. Medic Lanac

Field Medic, Bolt gun, Chainsword = 34

Total Points: 869 pts

34 comments:

  1. Most definitely in love with these. Impressive work, they look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!The more I paint the more I am falling for them as well and planning the next phase after this!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Great start to the challenge! Looks like a formidable force already!
    Those Field Police are a nice addition to the force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am looking forward to getting the Tactical squads done to add some more weight to it.

      Delete
  3. Impressive start!
    Both units look lovey, as does the tank!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oueff - pretty much the challenge done in one fell swoop! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Staying focused for the challenge and keep the army on my table and not get too distracted by other projects til afterwards!

      Delete
  5. Dude, these are awesome and so old school it hits me right in the feels. Just looking at them it's 1987 and I'm 15 again !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! trying to finally give myself the force I always wanted when i was that young!

      Delete
  6. Great colors and outstanding output - save something for next month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your OWAC V is almost complete after a month. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just such a cool thing. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! the Challenge has given me a real drive :)

      Delete
  9. Brilliant. Especially the field police.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love the look of them in contrast to the Yellow and really work with the Badab War Era I have them in

      Delete
  10. Great start! Love those Field Police, though I'm not sure how they fit into the modern view of Space Marine Chapters (or, to be honest, how they did in RT either!) Nice contrast with the yellow, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think Forgeworld added some more with them and in my head they work with the Badab War setting

      Delete
  11. Superb! The Field Police unit, Rhino, and Chaplain!! are such nice additions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I do like adding all the quirky side units

      Delete
  12. Beautiful - that yellow is really great! Love the Field police too - always had a soft spot for those little eccentricities from Rogue Trader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes the Field Police are lovely part of all that RT uniqueness :)

      Delete
  13. These look fantastic..love the field police.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!May look at adding a bit more to them with a Robot or Bike/Speeder possibly

      Delete
  14. What kind of madness is this. You procrastinate in the monthly objectives and ended painting an entire challenge worth of marines?!
    Awesome yellows, looking forward to see the entire force.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks, my attempts to make even my distraction and habit of bouncing between projects a bit more focused!

      Delete
  15. Very good looking bunch of beakies. Great field police!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog