Sunday, June 26, 2022

Shadespyre's Wild Card Month - The Kingdom of The Gnolls (An Orcs & Goblins Army) (50 pts!!!)

OWAC V - Wild Cards - But I've Already Played My Joker?

June

So what's left? A few minis that got left behind, or added at the last minute, and some scenic bits and bobs, I suppose?

Let's take a tour of the left overs! First up, some camp guards and some markers. I would have liked to make a whole unit from these fellas, but Gnolls in this pose are extra-rare and somebody kept bidding £10 each for them, so I gave up trying. I kept these three who I'd repaired with new polearms, however. I wanted to use some more of these shields as I'd gone to all the bother of making a press mould for them, so I made these with them. Might be useful as objective markers or unit fillers, but mostly I thought they'd look nice with my Royal Encampment.


Speaking of which, a bunch of campaign tents:


These ended up being so much work! I was planning to make my own, and then I spotted these resin models on eBay at a really good price. I bought a set, only for them to be broken in transit as the resin was really thin in places. A second set was sent, free of charge, and they survived the trip. Pretty good result, as I was confident I could repair the broken set. Which I did. But the surface finish on all of them was really uneven - one tent even has a thumb print cast into it - that I ended up spending hours filling and sanding and filling and smoothing, to the point where I'm sure it would have been quicker to have started from scratch... then I dropped one and had to re-repair it...

I decided to spray paint them (to save time) and succesfully sprayed three red and three yellow. Then I masked them up and sprayed each set with the other colour to give the pattern. For some reason, painting the tape caused the glue underneath to go all wierd (yes, I tested the tape before hand) and it made the paint underneath gummy. I ended up scraping areas of paint off and hand re-painting the lot... BUT I'm quite happy with how they came out in the end!
Another eBay purchase, this resin cart turned out to be much easier to adapt! The poles and axles are actually wooden skewers cast into the resin (clever!) which you can cut to length as required. I just had to make the yoke for the boar. I'd be tempted to add a driver, and probably another cart, but it's hard to get excited about spending more time and money on non-combatants, if I'm honest.

Back to actual Citadel Miniatures, there are a few more in the range that I haven't included so far. These are the last two I bought, finally losing the willpower to *not* pay way too much for them. Presenting FTG12 Gnoll Children, representing a young Prince and Princess of our royal family




Here's a daft little addition, a pet boar piglet. This is actually an Alternative Armies mini, it came free with an order of 15mm SF miniatures and just happened to fit with this project. So here she is.
And because if it's in the miniature range, it's rude not to: Two Drunken Gnolls (FTG 10)
Filling that role of "unarmed civillians for the baggage train", if nothing else. I made the discarded "Gnoll Beer" bottle as a nod to "Hobgoblin Beer" which is a very popular bottled beer here in the UK. 

Finally, I thought I'd throw in a picture of Ursula the Dwarf for comparison with her Queen Boardica incarnation. I'd forgotten how much I'd changed her face to be honest! Other minor tweaks include losing those odd webbed feet and removing some rather too dwarfy decorations.




Scores for June:       0 points (!)                    19 models


Running Total:             2779 points            211 models

PHEW is that it now? All done?

Coming Next: Wrap Up Post

Somehow I need to get all this in one photo. I also need to balance the army list and maybe produce that unoffical Gnolls & Goblins variant I keep going on about...

Overlord note : I'll put you in at an extra 50 pts for the terrain pieces submitted in a wildcard month

6 comments:

  1. Gold.
    The work you've put into these tiny figures is awesome!
    Tiny piglet seals the show this month (of course he would, wook at 'is wittle face!), but the hidden work on the tents is a labour of love - stuff like that gives the army so much 'seasoning'. Brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of these-especially Boaradicia, the drunks, and the children. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so wonderful - especially the little piglet and the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely way to round out a genuinely unique army. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classic painting for classic figures, well done

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog