Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Paul's 90s High Elves - A Host of Caledor! Wrap up Post (3532 pts)


Is it over already? I've still got stuff to paint and I need the adrenaline and risk of humiliation amongst my peers! It just isn't the same without it! 

This year I opted to work on the first Warhammer Fantasy Army I ever owned, the High Elves from the 4th Edition Boxed Set. A labour of love if ever there was one, it has seen epic amounts of press moulding, brush shredding amounts of basing, and bountiful banners. Looking back at my Intro Post, my initial list was modest and although I always had plans to expand on these units I'm very proud of what I ended up producing.

Initial List:

5 Dragon Princes of Caledor - Heavy Cavalry - 215 pts
5 Ellyrian Reavers - Light Cavalry - 125 pts
10 White Lions of Chrace, inc. full command - 245pts
20 Lothern Seaguard - 280pts
"Leader Month" - 200 pts 

Total - 1065 pts

Now let's take a look at what I actually managed:

Month 1

5 x Dragon Princes of Caledor - 215 pts Shadow Warrior Champion - 48 pts

Total - 263 pts


Month 2

5 x Ellyrian Reavers, with Bows, Spears, and Shields (33 pts each) - 165 pts Total - 165 pts

Month 3

23 Lion Warriors (inc standard bearer, musician, and champion) - 437 pts

Total - 437 pts

Month 4

4 Shadow Warriors (12 pts each) - 48pts 4 Sword Masters (16 pts each) - 64pts 5 Reaver Knights (w/ spears, bows, and shields - 33 pts each) - 165pts 4 Dragon Princes (43 pts each) (inc. Champion*, Standard**, and Musician**) - 233 pts

* DP Champion = 61 pts

** DPs have a special rule that means the unit gets the standard bearer for the same price as a standard trooper, however the musician costs double as per normal.

Total - 510 pts

Month 5

High Elf General (Heavy Armour, Lance) - 165 pts Dragon - 450 pts High Elf Hero (Heavy Armour, Lance, Shield) - 110 pts Pegasus - 50 pts18 Spearmen inc. Standard Bearer, Musician and Champion - 280 pts

Correction from March - minus 32 pts*

Total - 1023 pts

* I made a mistake. On closer inspection of the High Elf Army list, White Lions of Chrace get a standard bearer and musician at no extra cost, which means I need to deduct 32 points from my March total.


Month 6 21 Lothern Seaguard, including full command - 362 pts Mage - 59 pts 2 Repeater Bolt Throwers - 200 pts Hero (Heavy Armour, Lance) on Griffon - 259 pts 5 Reaver Knights including full command - 254 pts Total = 1134 pts

Grand Total - 3532 pts Model Count* - 129

  *Calculated using the OWAC rules, All 'infantry' = 1 regardless of base size, Cavalry (inc Monster mounts) = 2, Warmachines = only count the crew.

BOOOM!!

On top of all that I also refurbished a whole bunch of units painted over the years since 1994



Also on the table here are the rest of my spearmen (two units of 30 each) and 10 Silver Helms, not seen are the two Yvresse themed Bolt Throwers, Eltharion on Storm Wing, or Tyrion and Teclis (who is probably due a repaint to bring him up to scratch with the rest of them).

Here is what I still have to go before I'm 'finished' with my High Elf Host:

22 Caledor Archers, inc. full command (refurbished unit)
22 Yvresse Archers, inc full command (refurbished unit)
22 Lothern Archers, inc full command
2 Caledor themed Repeater Bolt Throwers 
10 Silver helms, inc full command
2 Mounted Heroes
Mounted Mage
Mage on foot
BSB on foot
20 Phoenix Guard (Dragon Guard?)
Phoenix/Dragon Guard Hero on foot (converted from a metal Charioteer)
2 Chariots (both older metal ones, but one Tiranoc themed, and one Chrace themed)
Newer edition of Imrik on Dragon

That's more than enough for another OWAC, but I really don't want to do High Maintenance Elves two years in a row, so I'm going to try and blitz that before the end of the year and focus on something else for OWAC VI. Wish me luck!

There is no way I would get all this done without the motivation, discipline, and camaraderie of the OWAC, so  I will close by saying a huge thank you to all my fellow challengers, and to our mighty avenging overlord, Iannick, for all his hard work running the challenge each year. It's one of the best projects in the Oldhammer community imho and its an honour to be part of it :)

11 comments:

  1. Amazing collection... and now they're painted :) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job and congratulations! High elves are my army of choice in fantasy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet jeebus, what a shot! That's a lot of elves! I think restoration projects such as yours, with all the press moulding and patching up - are some of my favourite to follow. A mighty effort, and and inspiring army - congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on a very productive challenge! That's a proper looking army right there

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't really appreciated month on month how much you've actually painted. What a fantastic looking force :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A cracking conclusion to this years challenge, once more - well done sir

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! It really has been a labour of love, with the emphasis on the labour, but 13 year old me is a very happy lad :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work! A lovely looking elf army!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful army. You've done a great job here. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog