Sunday, December 4, 2022

ZeroTwentyhthree's OWAC6 Introduction Post

Hey.

 
It's me, ZeroTwentythree,
 
 
How's it goin'?

 
I'm doing an Old World Army Challenge again


Yeah.


It's going to be sweet.


SWEET!


OK. Sweet-ish.


Maybe a little filthy and diseased.  Warped, even.
 
 
A bit different the previous elves, elves, elves (in space) and undead (not saying they were undead elves, but also there's no knowing those skeletons, wraiths, etc. were NOT previously elves when alive.)

 
For OWAC6 I'll definitely be painting chaos RATMEN.
 
 
Definitely not ratELVES.
 
 
Not that we know for sure the rats were mutated from men. According to the game lore, they appeared in the area that would become the Empire well before the human settlers even arrived. Not sure who else would have been living there in those ancient times. But definitely ratMEN.


Not ratELVES

 
Whatever.
 
 

 



Skaven 2023

This is going to be another nostalgia-fueled project for me to a factor exceeding even my Eldar project in 2021.  Skaven were my first Warhammer Fantasy Battles love, my first army. From 3rd through 8th editions of the game my army evolved until I sadly sold off most of it when times got tough and gaming hit a low.

I still have a small number of metal figures from my old army, including a number of unpainted figures. A few small purchases recently rounded that off to give me enough for a Challenge! The basis is that I will mostly be sticking with the objectively best Skaven fixtures ever sculpted, the Jes Goodwin originals. There will be a few figures breaking that "rule" ("more like guidelines, actually...")

In very general terms, I plan on painting:
  • 30ish Clanrats witgh spears
  • 20ish Stormvermin with two handed weapons
  • 25ish Skavenslaves
  • 4 beastmasters
    • 1 Rat Ogre (I already have another one painted)
    • 15 Giant Rats
  • 1 Plague Censor
  • 5 Globadiers
  • 2 Jezzail teams
  • 1 Warpfire-thrower team
  • Some characters
  • Completely unplanned stuff that I probably haven't even thought of yet. 
Solidly over 100 figures! I'd like to paint the regiments completely each month, so the first four items above will be my rank & file months, the characters will be the command month, and all the weird/crazy weapons in the remaining month. 

At one point I had this all organized & out on my desk, but failed to take a photo. Not everything in here will be part of the challenge. Maybe. Probably. There's also another bin of Completely Not OWAC6 figures that I definitely won't dip into.




Overlord Offering

Our Benevolent Overlord mentioned a fondness for creepy things, and specifically The Thing. Not only did I just watch both the original and prequel films, I also bought some Thing-inspired figures for a sci-fi project I've been working on (5 Parsecs). In that case, I was painting them with color shifting paints to represent dimension-shifting-teleport-accident-mutants, and repeated that at first, but felt that a fully flesh and gore version would be even better. So my Offering this year includes two versions - Incorporeal Warp Thing, and Gory Flesh Creep.



11 comments:

  1. "Go-go, quick-fast, kill-kill man things!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a ton of models! My favorites back in the day were the Globadiers - looking forward to seeing the paint on those. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great project! And those Things are properly Thingly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful bin of old ratmen - Love it!
    And the gore-laden Thing.. Great work :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only hope that the ratelve pun turns into you typical madman side project that it is absolutely gorgeous and for whatever reason it doesn't stop the owac army end amazingly good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look forward to seeing this divert into a totally converted rat/elf army 😃, although a wonderfully painted Skaven army will do just as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aha! The undead project WAS a combo-breaker. This is going to be great! I can't wait to see what you paint that wasn't even on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rattttttssssss!

    Love the Thing inspired offerings too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most potent and worthy project, yes yes. Jes Goodwin Skaven are the best Skaven, full of vermin menace and sneakiness. Looking forward to seeing them painted.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog