Saturday, January 21, 2023

goblinpaladin's Necromunda - a January Rank & File update (Skavvies)

 "[W]hat I saw in her face was not the ignorant suffering of an animal. She knew well enough [...] how dreadful a destiny it was to be kneeling there in the bitter cold, on the slimy stones of a slum backyard, poking a stick up a foul drain-pipe."
    - The Road to Wigan Pier, George Orwell

'ullo, chum

First gang out of the 'hive: Smilin' Jack and the Bitter Dregs.

MODEL LIST
Skavvy Boss: shotgun, sword, autopistol, frag grenade (173 creds) 
2 x Skavvies: autogun (41 creds each)
4 x Skavvies: stub gun, pick/knife/axe/club (33 creds each)
Skavvy: shotgun (41 creds)
Skavvy: blunderbuss, spikes mutation (62 creds)
Skavvy: stub gun, claw mutation (38 creds)
Skavvy: stub gun, autopistol, extra arm mutation (55 creds)
Scaly: spear gun, discus (181 creds)
Scaly: scatter cannon (200 creds).

TOTAL: 964 credits

Thirteen cannibals from the sump - enough for a decent starting gang, with some leftover creds for backup pistols hidden in pouches or to lure in some plague zombies.

just some lads

regular lads

The regular core gangers. I tried to go for a fairly minimalist colour scheme, heavy on washes and grime. Initially I was trying to mimic the inimitable axiom's Ian Miller-inspired skavvy colour scheme. Strong on iron greys, with spot colours of muted orange and shocking yellow. I also spent some time staring at Asslessman's lads, who also have the yellow touch.

every family's got one

so this family has three big deal

As always happens, I think I strayed from the original brief and fell into regular habits, but I did try to keep to a fairly limited palette. Oh, and the pale skin colour is from the always-brilliant Wilhelm.

that way

techno wotsits

These are hard to find painted images of online! The Leadpile has a few in his fantastic gang - although where he sculpted his arms, I just used some from Victoria Miniatures I had lying around. (The laspistols count-as stub guns because they're in such poor condition. It's fine.)

These sculpts were released around the time of Confrontation, although they first appeared in White Dwarf in May 1989. You can see them and their comrades on the Collecting Citadel Miniatures wiki here.

they do watercolours

easy now, fuzzy little man-peach

Yeah, love a good abhuman. These guys didn't turn out quite like I intended (their scales were meant to be darker) but by the time I realised my error, I didn't want to work harder. They're fun sculpts to paint, even if they have the same legs.

this sword was passed to me from my father's father

a lil' freehand chequer just for you

i lied about the sword. now give me your stuff

Finally we have the boss. I might have gone overboard on staining his guns.

The name of the gang just clean popped into my head while preparing the miniatures, but I think it works.

Interior illustration for Necromunda, p.295
Artist uncredited. © Games Workshop, 1997

Coming up for February: Pit Slaves Free men

20 comments:

  1. Lovely skintone especially, but the colour scheme works perfectly for these guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good start! Grimy but cleanly painted. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After all these years ,I'm still not convinced by these miniatures; but you did a great painting job on them! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you have done with them, especially the skin tones. An excellent start to the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The skin was tedious but turned out pretty well.

      Delete
  5. Great job - I love the basing, and appreciate the chequers on the leader! The white cloth throughout is a great choice too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you on all counts! Nice to have the details appreciated.

      Delete
  6. Lovely bunch of anti-social types there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great start to the OWAC Special Edition. Some excellent touch stones for your painting inspiration there and you have definitely captured the look :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice and grimy yet uniform look for the gang!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These Scavvy minis are so rad, love the grittiness!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog