Monday, January 2, 2023

Skål's Wondrous Hive tour of Gangs and other Oddities

 


What in the neon hell is glowing on? Is it really that time of year again? Another decision to play in another OWAC followed by choices of what the hell am I gonna paint? So this year I am diving into the wondrous game of Necromunda 95. I am stoaked the the great Overlord decided that we could do a free for all as I have quite a few gangs and other Hive oddities I have wanted to paint up for quite sometime now. 

"A hive is an ancient and incomprehensibly vast city, built up layer upon layer, stretching ten miles into the planet’s atmosphere. To those who live in the depths the dark and ruinous Underhive offers every opportunity for wealth and power. Its collapsed caverns conceal the riches of the distant past: rare and precious metals, unfathomable archeotech devices, wondrous mutated fungi and much more. It is also a place of danger, where mutant creatures, renegades and killers hide from the laws of House and Hive. And, of course, there are others who want the riches of the Underhive for themselves." Reading those word when Necromunda was first released in 1995 was simply exhilarating.


I spent a little time painting up all of the bulkheads from the original boxset to use in my photos as well as when I finally get a chance to play. There is something about being able to use the OG terrain while playing that tickles that nostalgic nerve.

I have a few decisions to make as to what I will be painting up. My collection as it stands now minus a few gangs that I hope to acquire before the end of the challenge. I am also playing with the idea of adding a Squat gang since Squats are so hot right now. But that is a 2023 thing to think about.











For my offering I ended up printing up some Space Skeletons using the image of the neon Spaceman for inspiration. I am always in awe of painters that just cut loose and let the paint simply flow. So that is what I did with these two. Painting them was really quite freeing and very relaxing.

 



Yes they are bright, yes they glow under blacklight, and yes they were an absolute blast to paint.
So this season of OWAC I am going to see where my tour of the Hive takes me. I have a rough idea of what I will be doing but if previous years have taught me anything, it is "don't have a plan, just paint." So paint I will. I have been reading the old Necromunda battle reports and I will be doing a few of the gangs from those reports as well as straying into some of the community based gangs and "encounters".

In previous OWAC's I have painted a Wood Elf army, a Dwarf army, an Eldar force, and for the last two years an Eldar Pirate/Dark Eldar force to increase the options from the last two years.










Brace yourselves as the bulkheads have opened and we are going to dive into the Hive.

To all of the new folks joining this season, welcome, don't loose heart, keep your head down and don't make eye contact with the veterans of this crew. You have to earn that. Stay away from the field of bones by painting.

To all of the old veterans of the crew, welcome back, you know the battle rhythm, stay the course and keep those drinking horns full. 

 Till next month.

The mate was fixed by the bosun's pike

The bosun brained with a marlinspike

And cookey's throat was marked belike

It had been gripped by fingers ten;

And there they lay, all good dead men

Like break o' day in a boozing ken

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.


Skål


15 comments:

  1. Flat out awesome. Can't wait to see this done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one massive collection and ton of cool models. I appreciate the pictorial summary of past OWACs - those wardancers are rad. Looking forward to your rendition of Necro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much old school goodness. This is going to be great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to be a fun project to paint up. Now if only I can get a gaming group.

      Delete
  4. Cool take on a cool subject, can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am excited to get this project started.

      Delete
  5. Amazing project! So excited to see it develop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I got the bug to paint Necro95 and this seemed like the right time to do it.

      Delete
  6. You always find the most marvelous figurines! And the space skeletons are cool too! (Hey! Who turned out the lights?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's not Team Eldar this year, but I am super excited to get to do something different each month. I have a few fun extras in the works to go with this years project.

      Delete
  7. That's a lot of necromunda! Can't fault it! Good luck sir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope to get through a lot of the models. We shall see!

      Delete
  8. I really enjoyed your luminous dark Eldar and this more organic approach to the challenge promises great things rising from the sump! :D

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog