Thursday, August 6, 2026

Paul's Dwarf Army Wrap Up



Where do I start? What a six months this challenge has been. This is my first time at the OWAC and if I’m being honest, I was not prepared for it in the slightest. I first saw this two years ago when I was just getting back into painting. I’ve always worked best when I have a deadline or an event that I need to prepare for, so OWAC seemed the perfect way to get my mojo on and paint on a regular basis. However, I missed the deadline and forgot about it. Then by pure coincidence I was invited into a WhatsApp chat and who happened to be there but the legend that is Tom Young or Frogbug as he is known on forums. Without his help this would never have happened. 


My original post had an army list that is listed below

1 General                           160 pts

1 Hero                                104 pts

10 Thunderers                   130 pts     

10 Thunderers                   130 pts

10 Thunderers                   130 pts 

15 Miners (plus                  204 pts

standard and musician)

12 Slayers                          132 pts                         

10 Warriors                         110 pts

1 Flame cannon                 119 pts

1 Cannons                          110 pts

1 Gyrocopter                      100 pts

1 Bolt Thrower                    54 pts

 

As you can see from the picture this changed as the challenge went on and the final finished models are listed below with a total points value of 1897. 

                                             1 General                            160 pts




                                                  1 Master Runesmith            187 pts




                                         10 Thunderers (with full command) 191 pts                        

                                                 10 Thunderers                     130 pts

12 Crossbowmen                156 pts



                                       15 Miners (with full command)  256 pts




                                               10 Slayers                           132 pts                         




                                         10 Longbeards (with full command) 213 pts




                                  16 warriors (with spears and full command) 252 pts




                                               2 Cannons                           220 pts

             

                   



I also have the flame cannon, gyrocopter and 10 more warriors almost finished which would bring the completed army up to 2226 points without any magical items. If I had managed my time a little better, then I would have had all of them painted up but unfortunately real-life issues tend to take priority. 

 

The challenge has been both cathartic and frustrating in equal measures. I have been competition focused and lots of those projects have been on the back burner because of the monthly requirements army painting requires. However, it has made me realise that not every blend has to be perfect and in that unit of 16 spearmen no one is going to notice the pouch hasn’t been painted with all three layers required. It also gave nm back a sense of painting for fun which competition pieces don’t tend to instil due to the time and effort required for that type of painting. It was a really great feeling to see each unit final materialise and it was even better as the army began to build up. 

 

The other motivating factor was seeing the amazing work that the other participants put into this event, and I am blown away by quality of the other projects. It would be amazing to see some of them in real life. I’ve seen Tom’s stuff and it’s very humbling to behold the sheer number and quality of paintjob he produces. I was fortunate enough to go to Finland last year and by sheer coincidence bumped into Kuqury, who is also a member of this forum. Hopefully, at some point in the future I will go back and be able to see his creations for real. 

 

I’ve also learnt that NMM isn’t the best technique for army painting but I am so pleased that I stuck with it. Regardless of what anyone else thinks I and so proud of this army and really pleased with the way it looks on the table. A big shout out to Mr Sawyer who inspired me with his yellow and black Dwarven colour scheme all those years ago.

 

I’d also like to thank Byron for cajoling and helping me on along the way. Without his reminders and helpful downloads I would have lost the plot. I’d also like to thank everyone who commented on my posts and gave feedback and encouragement as the months went by. It made all the difference when that painting enthusiasm began to fade. 

 

Finally, here are a few more shots of the units on a terrain board. I hope to get my dwarven towers and walls finished so that they can act as a backdrop to the yellow and black stunties when they are in the display case I have finally purchased to show them off. Congratulations to everyone who took part. I’m dying to see the final pics.





 

Thanks for having me and Kind regards 

 

Paul (Hereticus1964)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog