Sunday, October 22, 2017

Ed's Border Princes Confederacy

Howdy folks.

 I have to admit I was never expecting to be involved in an army painting challenge anytime soon - if ever.

I've always envisaged the idea as pretty daunting and something I'd lose heart with all too soon. Anyway, enough of the negative vibe; it's all positivity from here on!

It's helped that I've crossed off quite a few long term projects over recent months which has freed me up nicely for this gig. Anyway, here's a quick background on myself.

I first got into all this nonsense back in 1984 at the tender age of 8. I'll admit I've always been more of a painter than a gamer but played enough over the 80's and 90's; mainly Blood Bowl, Necromunda and 40k. Warhammer Fantasy Battle was never played too often as only one of my mates and I had sizeable armies.
I was lucky enough to win a couple of Golden Demon trophies in the late 90's and have steadily build up the painted collection over the years. With my mates having moved away years back, gaming has become non existent but the hunger for painting goes on. I was unaware of any Oldhammer community until I stumbled across it all a few years ago and realised how many folks out there were still holding a candle to all the classic old stuff and began to discover the many wonderful and inspirational blogs out there. So in late 2013 I started my own one, The Work Of Shaitan



 Anyway, back to the challenge:

 I've decided to go for a Border Princes force which to be honest is something I've not seen painted before. I'm sure there must be at least one out there somewhere but I haven't been able to source one.


So basically it'll be made up of Empire figures but I plan to represent each unit in different colours as each will be from different principalities to make up the Border Princes Confederacy. Plus It'll make it more fun for me as well coming up with a different uniform for each one.

The army list is as follows:

● 1 Mounted Border Prince
● 1 Mounted Hero
● 5 Border Heavy Cavalry (Reiksguard Knight figures)
● 5 Princes Bodyguard (Reiksguard figures on foot)
● 15 Halberdiers including champion
● 10 Handgunners including champion
● 8 Dwarf pikemen
● 1 Great Cannon
● 1 Helblaster Volley Gun

Total Points 1007

The plan is to use a mixture of Citadel, Marauder and Foundry for this project. I still need to get hold of quite a lot of figures for this but I've plenty to crack on with next month.


So roll on November 1st! Can't wait to get cracking.

14 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to this project Ed! I've never seen a Border Prince force either. The idea of differently coloured regiments is a great one, makes me think of the Napoleonic era Confederation of the Rhine, should be fantastic!

    (I had no idea we had Golden Demon royalty in our midst)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it'll resemble a multi coloured empire army really Iannick. Different coloured units will certainly aid my attention span. Just silver and bronze awards. No slayer sword or anything so grand.

      Delete
  2. I'm loving all of thee figures and really looking forward to seeing how they come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be plenty right up your street Blue. The marauder dwarf pikemen unit for one.

      Delete
  3. Cool! The Border Princes! What a great idea. Looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see a few Empire forces lined up for this challenge. Just trying to finalise all the uniform colours at the moment Greg, which is easier said than done.

      Delete
  4. Border Princes are something I've always been wanting to try but never gotten round to. Looking forward to doing that vicariously through your efforts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd almost forgotten about them actually Millsy. It'll be fun making them as colourful and varied as possible mate.

      Delete
  5. Welcome aboard Ed. I think the idea with border princes was that you could use whatever figures and make your own heraldry and color schemes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean. That's the plan, make it as colourful and varied as I can.

      Delete
  6. nice, i have been collecting the past month for a massive border princes armys, and it is interesting how each one could see differently this lawless region. my take was more based on the medieval balkans, slavs (kislev/teutogens) as the based army influenced by the vendeto (tilean/estalian dow ), the holy empire (empire border troops, also resikguards, in this point we coincide) and with some muslim influence (al muktar's)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think that's the real beauty of the border princes, Yosef. You can literally bring anything into the mix. I had thought about extending the army after the challenge is over with some different ethnicities, perhaps something with an eastern European aesthetic.

      Delete

Search This Blog