Friday, March 29, 2019

ZeroTwentythree's March Sea Elves (212 pts)

I'm well entrenched in a pattern of things not going according to plan at this point. I had planned on painting 16 spear elves, including a musician, and being done with it as a simple month. But a change in plans for the shields (looking for more of the newer, embossed elf shields rather than the older plain ones) set me back a bit. Not a major change, but to keep my OWAC point count on the level, I subtracted the cost of the shields (which will hopefully be painted later...)


That left me a few points short. I figured I could paint another spear elf or two, but then remembered I had a figure set aside to "pay the piper" as it's referred to in the OWAC rules.  It's voluntary, but I already had plans to do it, so I'm working on that to make up the difference. I'm going to keep it a secret until it arrives at its destination. I like the idea of sending surprise miniatures from my experience with the Warhammer-Empire.com "Pleasant Surprises" miniatures exchange. You'll all have to trust me that it's painted.



The spear elves are the old plastic 4th ed. figures, same as the archers. My long time plan was to use both as the core for a sea elf contingent. As with the archers, I've got mixed feelings on the minis, but they look OK painted up. The colors on the photos are all messed up -- there's more variety in the blues and greens, and the gems are also bright red in person. I was going to do another write up about the background, but this month has been exhausting so backstory and photo corrections may have to wait.

So...

16 Spear Elves (spears, light armour, musician): 187 points
1 Secret miniature for Iannick: 25 points

Total to date:  620 points

I will more than likely be taking my mulligan in April. I've got more travelling for work, have another deadline the first week of April, and although I will try to get some prep work and a head-start on the OWAC minis, April is "Big April" for me, and I'd like to keep the tradition alive and paint some giants without having to worry about other obligations (as much as possible...)

12 comments:

  1. I really like how your composition has brought out the pixels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those monopose Elves. Painted a fair number back in the day as commissions. You nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely like your paint scheme. You make those mono-pose troops rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant job on these - especially on going all out and painting the eyes :)
    Nuff respect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those monopose elves have a certain charm, I've definitely come to appreciate them more over the years, especially given how well they fit with the equivalent metal troopers and command figures. Lovely painting, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, monopose high eleves always give that atmosphere of the old days! I really like them, actually: I have them and are sitting in waiting (mayb efor the next OWAC) with the rest og the HE army. You did a great work in them, the effect on robes below the armour is great touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent work on those monopose spear elfs. As others have commented they have a certain appeal and when painted up as well as you have done, they convey the haughty martial pride one expects from the high elves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your paint scheme, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comments everyone. I think when they'll look a bit better when they finally get their shields.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making those monopose Spearmen really sing. Bravo sir!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those monopose plastic elves still hold up in my opinion. Your count is close enough for me. I'll have to head over to Iannick's blog to see what you sent him.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog