Sunday, December 29, 2019

Graeme's ravening horde of Skaven


So, this is my first attempt at OWAC, the first time blogging about anything, and the first time I've picked up a paintbrush in earnest in about 20 years. A massive horde of Skaven just seems the obvious choice, really...

Yup, it's probably a mild form of insanity that's made me dive into the furry end and choose Skaven for this challenge. However, back in the late '80s, they were the first blister packs of Citadel miniatures I bought. I'm a big fan of Jes Goodwin's designs and after seeing the armies of Pete Taylor in Warhammer Armies and Andy Chambers in White Dwarf 137, I've always wanted to build my own army of them. However, at the time, when my school friends and I were building up 3rd edition armies to battle with, I just couldn't afford to buy the number of models needed. I ended up buying some second-hand wood elves and playing them instead.

The seed of an idea had been planted, though. The slow and steady collecting of Skaven continued.

In the last couple of years, I discovered a lot of Oldhammer groups and blogs, and OWAC was one I really enjoyed following. The regular contributions of a dedicated group of people, with so many of the old miniatures I'd grown up with and collected, made an impression. It finally inspired me to dig out my collection and start building that army I'd dreamt of fielding.

So here we are - I hope this challenge will help me focus my time and attention on this furry little bunch and finally get the majority of them painted.

On to the army list - I'm sticking with WFB 3rd edition, based on the list in Warhammer Armies.




This gives a Grand Total of 1664 points!

Photos of the preparations so far:



The characters

Black Skaven Clanrats

Clan Eshin - Gutter Runners

Clan Pestilens - Plague Monks

Clan Skryre - Jessails

Clan Skryre - Warpfirethrowers and Poison Wind Globes

Clanrats with spears

Clanrats with hand weapons

Clan Moulder - Packs of Giant Rats and Rat Ogres

Skavenslaves


Realistically, I won't be able to paint all of these during the challenge. I'd love to, but I suspect I'm just not a fast enough painter. I might focus on the more expensive troops in the beginning, until I hit my stride, then bring in the piles of cheap ones. I've got some extras of most of the models if I want to expand the units. My main aim is to reach the 1000-point target, build the backbone of a massive Skaven horde, and break the OWAC Skaven curse (and make the inhabitants of the Old World shudder in fear!)

In any case, a load of old minis will get the attention they deserve and have some paint splashed on them.

Best of luck to the other challengers! I'm really keen to see everyone's contributions, especially the other Skaven armies. The Skaven tide is rising!.

14 comments:

  1. From one Skaven painter to another, good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, good sir! Same to you. I suspect it will be a slog, but it'll be worth it in the end. Would be great to see all three Skaven armies finished in 6 months!

      Delete
  2. Another paw in the uprising against the surface world! Looks like you have even more models than me this year so we can suffer together :) best of luck, can't wait to see your force come together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to you too! I suspect we'll develop an aversion to the colour brown in about 6 months... but these are the sacrifices that must be made for the children of the horned rat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely stunning models here. I too was a massive fan of Andy Chambers skaven army - they just looked so different and, well, chaotic. All the very best with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd really like to do a few conversions as well, just to bring out the chaos element, but there's a load of painting to get done first...

      Delete
  5. best of luck indeed! You're a braver man than I...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brave or stupid... I know which one I'm leaning towards right now... :-)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I really hope I make it. Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  7. Whoa! In at the deep end! They look fantastic all ready to go like that. I hope you have a blast :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been a while since I did any painting, but I am enjoying it. The challenge is encouraging me to keep up a pace, and avoid my usual procrastination.

      Delete
  8. This might be my favourite army this year. I love this era of miniatures and skaven are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the skaven minis have always been a favourite of mine since I first saw them. I really hope my paint job does them justice.

      Delete

Search This Blog