Monday, December 30, 2019

JamesP's Empire Army

The Sons of Solland

First I’d like to say I am chuffed to take part in OWAC III. I’ve followed other OWACs and admired the great work done by the participants. 

This the beginning of a larger project to create a 3000-point WFB 3rd edition Empire army. I’ll start with 1500 pts containing the requirements (plus a bit for fluff and points) and add to it another instalment of 1500 pts later. My hope is to take part in  OWAC IV later this year to see the project through to completion. I’m using the Wargames Foundry ex-citadel line for most of the army as it is cost effective and allows the customization I require.

Over the years I’ve developed a technique that allows me to organise, paint and base my armies. I organise the miniatures in units and PVA glue them to plastic sticks in the same order they will be placed in the unit by rank. This allows me to avoid colour and pose repetition. After painting I pop the minis off the sticks and base them. Finally, I flock the bases and add the banners.

I’ll update the blog monthly with a painted unit with a short story about the unit. We all like a bit of fluff, don’t we…?




My painting schedule is:

Month 1 – Reiksgard unit (251 pts)



Month 2 – Hohensknechte Unit (259 pts)



Month 3 – Helblitzen Unit and 1 Reiks Kanone with crew (238 pts)





Month 4 – Helblitzen Unit and 1 Reiks Kanone with crew (238 pts)





Month 5 – Armbrustschutzen Unit and the Army Standard Bearer (264 pts)





Month 6 – Fleglers Unit and the General (held until last as I am still sourcing the flagellant miniatures) (261 pts)





In 3rd edition the cost of  a unit musician and banner bearer is the cost of model x2.

The list is as follows:

Level 15 Hero – 84pts (General)
·        Hand Weapon, Heavy armour, Shield, War Horse, Barding and Hellhoned Blade

Level 10 Hero – 144pts (Army Standard Bearer)
·        Hand Weapon, Heavy armour, Shield, War Horse, Barding and War Banner

5 Hohensknechtes – (leader, musician and standard) 259pts
·        Lance, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield, Barding

15 Reiksgard – (champion, leader, musician and standard) 251pts
·        Double-Handed Weapon, Heavy Armour
Level 5 hero
·        Heavy Armour, Shield

14 Helblitzen – (champion, leader, musician and standard) 178pts
·        Halberd, Hand Weapon, Light Armour
Level 5 hero
·        Heavy Armour, Shield

14 Helblitzen – (champion, leader, musician and standard) 178pts
·        Halberd, Hand Weapon, Light Armour
Level 5 hero
·        Heavy Armour, Shield

10 Armbrustschutzen – (leader and standard) 120pts
·        Crossbow, Hand Weapon, Light Armour

1 Reiks Kanone Batterien – 120pts
·        2 Cannons with 3 crew each

12 Fleglers - (champion, leader, musician and standard) 177pts
·        Hand Weapon, Additional Hand Weapon
Level 5 Hero
·        Light Armour, Frenzied Blade

Total points:1521

I've exceeded the 1000 point goal. The flagellant unit is a bonus unit...I may not find the rest of the models that I want to use. 

I’d also like to wish everyone good luck. I can’t wait to see the different armies and painting styles.

4 comments:

  1. Nice collection of minis! This should look great when it's completed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the start of an impressive force! I'll be following with interest, as I've considered doing something similar over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome aboard! All that good prep will stand you in good stead for the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog