Thursday, January 30, 2020

Graeme's Skaven scouting party for January (202.5 points)

Yeah, you smell a rat. A few of them, in fact...

Some inspiration from WD 137.

I've squeaked in with my first month's contribution, a whisker before the end-of-month deadline. Already, it's been a real challenge for me. I've learned a few valuable lessons about planning, avoiding distractions, setting realistic targets and focussing on getting models completed. Hopefully, I'll be able to put those lessons to good use in the following months...

You don't give a rat's ass! Do you?

Okay, on to the stuff you're here for... with fewer rat puns...

I tried to focus on rank-and-file models rather than characters. Okay, they were among the most expensive rank-and-file models available, but let's call that a compromise...

So, the bulk of January's contribution is made up of Gutter Runners. One of the reasons I love these models so much is the amount of detail packed into them. This definitely slowed the painting down, though.
Skaven armies generally have a very dark palette, and I tried to stick with predominantly browns and muted greens, but added quite a few splashes of colour with these guys, as I can see these scouts looting anything they can get their grubby little claws on.





Seven done, out of the ten planned for the army.

One Clan Chieftain (level 5 hero) to lead this ragged little mischief, with a Clan Skyre Poisoned Wind Globadier to add a little warpstone to the recipe.


Next up is the muscle: a Rat Ogre and accompanying Beastmaster. The original Rat Ogres must be some of my favourite Skaven models - not a lot of variety, but loads of menacing character. I may try a conversion of two if I've getting brave near the end of the challenge. Getting some texture and shade over such a large amount of fur was a challenge, but it seemed to work out quite well with the lighter brown shades I used here. I've already found out darker fur is more challenging.


And finally a group shot of the furry little advance party.




I've got a few more finishing touches to make and some more work to do on the bases, as these didn't quite turn out how I wanted. I've got static grass and grass clumps to add, but I want to get the base colour sorted out before I do that. That should be sorted out for next month, as I want to make them nice and consistent across the whole army.


In terms of points, we have:
- 1 Clan Chieftain (level 5 hero), with hand weapon, shield and light armour: 31 points
- 1 Clan Moulder Beastmaster, with hand weapon, and light armour: 10.5 points
- 1 Clan Moulder Rat Ogre, with hand weapon: 38 points
- 1 Clan Skyre Poisoned Wind Globadier, with hand weapon: 25 points
- 7 Clan Eshin Gutter Runners, with hand weapons, light armour, and slings: 98 points

- Total for January: 202.5 points

26 comments:

  1. I'm with Iannick. That pink is fantastic; a bold choice, delivered perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I saw the Gutter Runners as a chance to experiment with some colours. I did hesitate when I saw the pink highlight for the first time, but it ended up working better than I expected.

      Delete
  2. Yes, you beat January! I knew you could do it! The models look great, and I really like that rat ogre. Congratulation on completing the first leg of the journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, lulling into a false sense of security worked.
      It was a close thing in the end, but I'm really happy with the results.
      Let's hope February is just as gullible!
      Go team Skaven!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks! I was really happy how they turned out, especially after such a long break from painting.

      Delete
  4. wow, these are perfectly painted. Congrats! The poisoned wind globadiers are my favourite skaven models, and yours has come out lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are busting with character and I'm looking forward to pai ting a few more.

      Delete
  5. Looking good. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! Great to hear people like my efforts.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. They are great models! They soak up painting time, but it seems to be worth the effort.

      Delete
  8. Nice work! Looking forward to next month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! Plenty more on the 'to do' list to choose from... 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great effort and I do like the washed out colors. It reminds me of the old style Eavy Metal pages in WD mag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Yeah, the Eavy Metal articles were my original inspiration back in the '80's

      Delete
  11. Bravo sir! Lovely selection of models to keep you interested but I can see the challenge you face - keep at it, really hoping the Year of the Rat is the year the OWAC Skaven curse is broken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are great models, I just hope the numbers don't wear me down. I'd love to see all 3 Skaven armies Cross the finish li e this year.

      Delete
  12. Lovely color selection. Doesn't look like there is a traditional mono or di color scheme, but the tone of all the colors makes them all go together very well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! I didn't really plan out the colour scheme, since this was the first time I was using most of the paints. I was mostly experimenting and focused more on the individual look for most of these, but for bigger units I'm going to have to think about it a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go team skaven! (Shhhh... don't let anyone know I'm on team woodelf!)

    Good to see you make it though, and a great job painting them!. Just remember, some of the other units don't require such an individual artistic flair to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha - your secret is safe with me. I'm a closet Wood Elf fan too...
      ;-)
      Yeah, I really painted these more as characters than rank-and-file. Hopefully I can get into the right level of detail and build the tempo when I get to the masses of troops.

      Delete
  15. Great start dude, really nice bold colours with good contrasts. Love it, looking forwards to seeing some more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colours might get a bit less bold in the next few months, but I'll try my best to keep them coming... :-)

      Delete

Search This Blog