Thursday, December 3, 2020

Bill's Greenskins - Introducing the Waaagh Kev'adumz

 
Hello and thank you for allowing me to join in the fun for this, my first OWAC. A few brief words of introduction - I came into Warhammer in 2001 as a teenager without the means to build a 2,000 point army, and no concept that you *could* play smaller games. I built and painted figures here and there but never got more than a unit done for a given army. By 2005 I drifted to other miniatures, other games, and around 2018 came back into the Games Workshop fold to give Age of Sigmar a try.  I ended up hating it - not the game itself but the hypercompetitive atmosphere I encountered at the local gaming shops. Through Blogger and social media I soon found out about the Oldhammer movement, and fell in love with both the aesthetic and the attitude towards the hobby it represented.

Finally I decided to take the plunge and begin collecting figures towards the army I'd always dreamed of looking at the army books and copies of White Dwarf as a teenager. I'd always loved the lummox-y nature of greenskins, and decided I wanted a big army of all metal greenskins, with as many as possible sculpted by Kev Adams, whose irascible figures define Warhammer for me. I figure that even if this army just goes into a display case and never sees battle, I can still point to it and say, "I loved every minute I spent painting them."

I've painted a small handful of figures towards this goal so far, with many more either cleaned and primed, or simply cleaned and glued to bases. For this OWAC, I'm going to be building off this eclectic collection of primed figures (and buying more as I go, because it's appropriately orc-y to go into this half-cocked and without a concrete plan of attack) over the next few months to build at least the core of a solid greenskins force, as per the 1991 Warhammer Armies Orcs & Goblins list, with a mercenary contingent of Hobgoblins on the side.

 Here's where I'm at in my preparations right now:

 


And here's the list covering what I hope to turn that pile into:

Waaagh Kev'adumz, OWAC IV (1,017)

  •  Level 25 Orc General, Light Armor + Shield, riding Boar Chariot (146+62 = 208)
  • 11 Orc Boyz, Standard + Musician (110.5)
  • Level 5 Orc Hero, Light Armor, Hand Weapon and Shield (36)
  • 11 Orc Boyz, Standard + Musician (110.5)
  • Level 5 Orc Hero, Light Armor, Hand Weapon and Shield (36)
  • 12 Goblins, Light Armor, Standard + Musician (56)
  • 10 Black Orcs, Shields, Standard + Musician (120)
  • Level 10 Black Orc Hero, Light Armor, Hand Weapon, Shield (80)
  • 4 Trolls (260)

I've got some "Boglet Bounders," (i.e., Squig Hoppers) Kev sculpted for a recent Kickstarter primed as well. I don't know what I'd count them as in 3rd Edition WHFB, but I might paint them for my Wild Card month. Depending on how things go, I may start on some figures for my Hobgoblin contingent, or paint a wildly larger amount of goblins, time permitting.

I had to take a "Bryan Ansell" shot before I shaved the mustache off.



And finally, there's the matter of paying the piper. For my admission, I dug out a spare primed goblin musician - I'd gotten him in a job lot off eBay, and he was one of a handful of figures I'd primed to test different methods of doing greenskin flesh on, and he'd proven extra when I decided on a color scheme early on. A relaxing evening of painting later, he's ready to be varnished and sent to maliciously bash his cymbals together in Iannick's collection.


And that should do it for me for this post. See you all at the starting line on January 1st!

9 comments:

  1. Very nice. My first OWAC was orcs and goblins. This will be a nice looking force and I’m excited to see it take shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first army was O&G. I still have a small O&G contingent that needs expanding. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely.
    Good to see a krungbeast amongst it.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye - seeing one used as a Great Taurus in last year's OWAC put it into my mind. It'll be my hobgoblin commander's Temple Dog mount if I get that far this challenge.

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the OWAC!
    Cool, kev orcs, definetly following it. I though the warmongers were less huge, cool addition with your black tree/harlequin greater orcs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good! happy to see some other Greenskins in the challenge besides my own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. More Grenskins! Love it! Looking forward to seeing you force join the Waaagghhh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the goblin! He's gonna fight right in my army. Greenskins are always amongst my favourite projects. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog